Large Scale Central

On-board G Scale Graphics

Up until today, I have had all of my G Scale Graphics electronics housed in trailing cars. This allows me to use any loco with the least amount of expense on the electronics. Last night I decided to install a spare Railboss Plus in my D & RGW LGB switcher. Plenty of room under the hood for the components and the battery fit nicely in the cab. The advantage is obvious as no trailing car is required. And I like the fact that the headlights remind me of the direction I last set the throttle to.

Some of my other locomotives would be a challenge to get everything to fit, so for now I will leave well enough alone. However, i can see that my switcher may be getting more run time as it is a bit more versatile with everything in one package. Probably the biggest challenge on smaller locos would be fitting Li-on batteries of the type I have been using, 14.8 volt eight cell type. I have a few four cell type but even they have dimensions that would be too large.

By the tittle ,I thought you were making a box car with scrolling graphics on the side!

Hi Dan, you will now experience a lot more flexibility in operating your trains. I think it is good to have both type of installs to meet your needs.

You stated 8 cell type. Did you mean 4 cells? Remember a 14.8v lithium pack is made with 4 cells at 3.7v each. With these cells you can choose two shapes to fit inside your locos. A flat pack or a mini brick. I still use nickel metal hydride AAA and AA cells for small G scale and most O gauge Locos.

Have more fun. Don

I have two types of Li-on 14.8 volt batteries. The lesser amp hour or smaller one has 4 cells that are about the size of AA cells on normal alkaline batteries. the larger one has eight cells and more amp hours or running time. I do have several Chinese Blue Li-on batteries that work nicely. Some in my Critter Control trailing cars and one in my LGB trolley. I have one stuffed into the cab of my LGB 2015 steam loco that powers the smoke unit. Still other blue Li-on batteries power some of my animated rolling stock creations. I have plans to install a critter control in my New Orleans streetcar soon. I would love to have a Critter control or rail boss in each and every loco. But I have too many locomotives to be able to afford one for each.

Hi Dan I got you now. For more runtime you have a higher amperage pack.

I’m a bit confused now. I was reading that each cell is worth 3.7 volts. So eight cells would be way over 14.8 volts. So what I was describing as an eight cell battery is really a four cell and the four cell is a two cell. It looked to me like the four cell was made up of eight batteries. Since the batteries are all wrapped in heat shrink, it’s difficult to tell.

Dan

More likely than not you have a two four cell batteries wired in series-parallel configuration known as ‘4S2P’ very common with Lithium-Ion batteries. This pack would have the voltage of a four cell battery with the capacity two times that of any cell.

3.6V x 4 =14.4V

Assuming you have the typical Li-Ion 3.6V cells, a 14.4V 4S2P 4400mAH 14.4V battery is comprised of eight 3.6V 2200mAh capacity cells;

3.6V x 4 =14.4V @ 2200mAh x 2 = 4400mAh battery capacity

Michael

Dan Padova said:

I would love to have a Critter control or rail boss in each and every loco. But I have too many locomotives to be able to afford one for each.

That’s exactly where I am at. I have two operational self contained locos and a third apart for modifications. The rest run from two trail cars - one for 1:29 and one for 1:20.3. I agree with your observation on the headlight direction indicator. That’s why I added bi-color LED’s to each end of my trail cars. I found LEDs that would run directly from the RailBoss. Green indicates the “front” end and red indicates the rear. When you change direction on the Railboss, the Bi-Color LEDs both change to the opposite color, indicating the new direction of travel. Very helpful when doing switching operations with a trail car.

You can see the red LED at the rear near the number 152 in this shot…

On the smaller locomotives, consider dropping down to 11.1 volt packs. I’ve got an LGB Davenport switcher and an LGB porter which will be getting battery R/C over this winter; each will be using 11.1 volts instead of my usual 14.8 due to the space considerations you mention. Del’s RailBoss stuff will work just fine on that, and I’ve found I rarely need more than 10 volts going to the motors of most of my locomotives to reach prototypical speeds anyway. Cordless Renovations makes them in two configurations–a flat pack with 3 cells side by side (about 2 1/8" x 3/4" x 2 3/4") and a triangular pack with three cells stacked in a triangle, which would be about 1.5" x 2 3/4".

Later,

K