Large Scale Central

A Shay Dilemna

A few months back I bought a preowned Bachmann 3 truck shay with DCC and Factory Sound and I have a dilemna.

I don’t run DCC just straight up DC track power with a aristo TE. I really like the shay but I feel that DCC setup is affecting it. For one thing the lighting is the wrong way, go forward and the rear light comes on, backup and the front comes on. In my main yard I use a LGB 1 amp transformer to power and sometimes the shay just sits there and the rear light flashes. This doesn’t happen when it is on the mainline using the TE and more power.

This may have something to do with the wire plug to the tender that I had to repair but I don’t know.

The Shay also runs so much slower than my other Bachmann geared locos and in another question I asked here the possible answer was that the voltage needs to go through the DCC panel before getting to the motors so some is lost.

My dilemna:

Should I resell this shay and buy another without factory sound or should I try and fix this one. I’m thinking fixing it might include removing the DCC board and rewiring which would be stretching my abilities.

Backward lights;

See if the Bachmann switch is there… the one that changes polarity, the NMRA switch, cause big trains don’t need no standards …

Look inside the smoke box, I think. Not speaking from experience, just reports I try to remember.

John

Todd, did you download the manual from Bachmann?

And the starting speed will always take more volts, since there are electronics between the track and the motor.

Greg

Rewiring the thing would be a real challenge. And since the DCC decoder unit doesn’t like the side track, and the locomotive isn’t working the way you want, my personal opinion would be to sell it off and get one without all the wiz bangs in it. Trainworld was selling them off at a discount. I don’t know if they still are or not.

Why didn’t I think of that John?? There is a switch in there so next time this loco is on the track I will try that but I think it will change the direction of the loco too.

I have a preowned 38 ton 2 truck shay with a phoenix and a mystery DCC board in it ( I know this because I posted a photo here and that is what you guys told me it was) In that loco it didn’t matter where the polarity switch was thrown and I even tried to rewire it so the headlight works properly and I didn’t have any luck.

The 3 truck runs so slow. It is fine on its own but if there is another loco on the tracks that one is screaming along while the 3 truck is barely crawling. My 2 truck, Climax and Heisler all run the same speed which is good.

I will have to check the wiring diagram on this one but I think it is beyond my ability to rewire it which is my dilemna.

I’m really leaning toward selling it and buying one without sound and DCC. Does anyone want to buy it say for $325?

Todd Haskins said:

My 2 truck, Climax and Heisler all run the same speed which is good.

That is great for your train racing madness! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Todd: If you are going to do it, you take it ALL out and off the engine, then rewire the whole unit! Yes it takes some time but then you know where it all is located and what it does. If you take this route, be prepared to take some time, go slow and think each move through. As on person wrote, try to get the manual as a down load and also go to the Bachmann site and down load the parts plan. If you know some one who can print it out on the large plotter so you can see it better. I had to do that with my 3 trucker to install an RCS system and a sound board.

Good luck. Paul Austin

Gee, if only I had an extra $325 lying around.

Todd – it’s really easy to pull the stock DCC/sound board. Everything is done with screw terminals. Feel free to ask if you have questions.