Large Scale Central

Another Portable Train Cart.

One of our Train guys is moving to Oregon. So he asked if we could build one similar like ours, but larger.

So this is what we started with. Got a Harbor frt. Garden utility wagon. Re build it by widen and make it longer to fit a box we need to build.

Checked the limit wt. the tires could work with and it can go to 400 lbs with no problem.

We had to re-build the steering though. Wagon had a crappie steering sys.

This is the box we build so far to bolt on to the frame.

We build a auto top lid bar to hold it open by just raising the top up on either end of the cart… " Its spring loaded." Being the top is so wide, it is just to hard to open it up for us short guys. lol. The bar raises and locks in place. There is a small 1/8" copper tubing going under the top box with a control wire to pull that will to reset the safety bar.

We also put safety lid chains on just in case he wants to open it up all the way.

Showing is the fist shelf.

By making is light as possible, we used door skins and 1" x 2"s. frame. Fir. should be ok. We tried Oak but it keep splitting?

Found out by gluing the struts for the roll stock, its is very solid. Also, the truck bogie ride on the struts. That way the wheel do not touching the bottom of the shelves and keep them from rolling around.

This is where we are at today… Add more later on as we get more done.

Today I did the rest of the shelves and now done. Now both shelves have 6 tracks wide and average of 4 cars in each row.

Right side will has three long rolls that will hold two 50 footer and a 40ft in each row.

The bottom Left side has 28 rows that will hold 40 footer or smaller cars.

Notice: On second shelve, We had to take the top hold down rail out and shorten it up. For one person to take a shelve out, it to hard to try to get it back in with out having a rail to set it on… Empty shelves are just to bulky for one person. Top shelve is no problem due to it around waist high.

Cart has sliding doors and is ready to be sealed, stain or painted by new owner in Oregon.

Knowing my buddy in Oregon, he an ex-truck driver and probably put mud flaps and dock bumper bar on the back of it. lol.

We had to shorten up the wheel base due to tight turn on walk ways. We set up the back axle up a bit… This will make room for a front cabinet to be mounted like our other train carts are for more Train equip. if needed.

NW

Nice work Noel. Your friend should be happy, that thing is the size of a truck! Is it meant for just getting cars out to the layout or for over the road transport too? Does the entire top “drawer” come off ? Looks like it with the handles on the ends. Love the Shopsmith too.

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Nice work Noel. Your friend should be happy, that thing is the size of a truck! Is it meant for just getting cars out to the layout or for over the road transport too? Does the entire top “drawer” come off ? Looks like it with the handles on the ends. Love the Shopsmith too.

Hi Randy…Thanks guy.

It was mainly for storing rolling stock and Power in his shed and can be roll it out to his layout for a quick set up. This way he has a wide range to pick from. All shelves come out if needed but they are bulky to do that. Good for cleaning out if he likes I guess. The top on mine dose come off, but his is low enough for him to reach in real easy. He is short like me… lol.

He… after his is painted or stained it, needs to in stall some felt on the cart for the sliding doors and top to keep the dust out. This is the way to go if no way to running there train in a building. Some do but I don’t like carrying boxes. That to much work for a lot of trains to set up.

The Handles are for pulling or help backing up the cart.

All of the carts we made can be rolled on to a p/u with ramps or trailer.

Mine has a added cart trailer on it and the tong can be sucked in and fit in a 8 foot p/u bed.

These was fun projects and all were difference.

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Love the Shopsmith too.

I second that!

ean McGillicuddy said:

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Love the Shopsmith too.

I second that!

Thanks guys… Got that Shoosmith Mark 5 new in 1958. I had to do some miner over hulled to it two yr’s ago and runs like new. One of the best tools I ever had.

Noel Wilson said:

ean McGillicuddy said:

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Love the Shopsmith too.

I second that!

Thanks guys… Got that Shoosmith Mark 5 new in 1958. I had to do some miner over hulled to it two yr’s ago and runs like new. One of the best tools I ever had.

I’m 72 now. When my grandfather passed away in 1960, I inherited his Shopsmith 10ER. He bought it new in 1951 from Montgomery Ward! I had it until 2000, when I gave it to my bro-in-law. In the meantime, I bought a used Mark VII in the early seventies (that thing was a monster, but you could tip it in either direction). Traded that one in for a brand new Mark V that I bought at the Los Angeles County Fair during a tool demo. I STILL have that Shopsmith to this day. What a great tool!!

Had to laf. Gary… That where I got mine was at Montgomery ward down town Sacramento. Over the yr’s. I made a lot of stuff with it… I got the Shopsmith book then to, on how to and in it had one thing that I was surprise… was making shelves for Ho Trains by setting up to making groves for the wheels…

I’ve seen the Mark VII at State Fair. Heck…I have hard enough time just getting this one around. There not light even with the roller and bench kit.

Only thing is at our age guess, ( Now 80) not really in any hurry to do anything, due to it dose take time to set up for each thing you want to do.