Large Scale Central

MTH Dash 8 weathering

I got a used MTH Dash 8 from Kidman’s. Decided to weather it some. Shot it with clear matte, the rusty primer from spray cans. Brushed flat black on all the grills. Bragdon’s weathering powders are next.

Looking real good ! I just love weathered equipment,

Makes everything look real, especially in photos

Bill

looking good!

Thanks guys. Finished it up with Bragdon Weathering chalks. I like working with them. I do have an airbrush, but hate cleaning them. Pix look a little more weathered than it does in person, I think!

Hey Jerry,

Looks great very nice job. Like the grills.

Ever thought about weathering this or another to look like the engine caught fire. One tim it was brought to my attention that a large number of locomotives out there have caught on fire at one time or another and they don’t always get repainted. Since then I tuned into looking at locomotives that have burn scars. I get to see my share of UP and BN locomotives and many of them have burnt. Interestingly the CP locomotives that I see coming to Spokane almost never have burn scars. Thye must repaint them more often or at least after repairing the burns.

It could be a fun interesting weathering adventure. And your Dash 8 seems like a good candidate

That Dash8 is a serious puller your RR must be expecting a big boost in revenue producing traffic.

Your weathering looks great. Don’t forget to touch up railings and handles where dirty hands and gloves have touched. I weathered up one engine a bit and even added dirt to where the workers boots would kick heading into the cab.

That is impressive! Amazing Job on the weathering. :smiley:

Saw a couple in the train yard in town. One was like mine here, other was shiny/clean as mine used to be. You may not like weathering, but should at least paint all the grills black, that helps quite a bit.

Less is More and I think you did a nice job there.

Jerry Barnes said:

Saw a couple in the train yard in town. One was like mine here, other was shiny/clean as mine used to be. You may not like weathering, but should at least paint all the grills black, that helps quite a bit.

Jerry,

I love weathering. I think there is as much art in weathering for authenticity as there is to exacting prototype paint jobs. But . . . now that I have put all the hard work into the details on my 2-6-0 loco it pains me to think I am going to mess it up with weathering. Mind you I will mess it up but man its hard. I have sworn to make one bright shiny loco in my inventory though(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

You have done a great job. Very believable

Thanks Devon, I’ve always liked your work. I’m thinking about weathering my MTH Big Boy, seems all the pix of them, they looked awful!

Big Boys were few and far between, so on their routes they got constant use with only mandated servicing, and then back to work. Thus, they were often very grimy. I’m sure your Big Boy would look great weathered to death with the addition of your patented marvelous dry-brushing, Jerry.

Devon Sinsley said:

Jerry Barnes said:

Jerry,

I love weathering. I think there is as much art in weathering for authenticity as there is to exacting prototype paint jobs. But . . . now that I have put all the hard work into the details on my 2-6-0 loco it pains me to think I am going to mess it up with weathering. Mind you I will mess it up but man its hard. I have sworn to make one bright shiny loco in my inventory though(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Devon, oh no. No no no. Weathering isn’t messing it up, it’s making an accurate representation of the prototype. I kit-bashed a Heartland Forney into the P&SC number 7. She wont get weathered, since she pulled the varnish (passenger train) and so she was kept clean by the railroad crews. My P&CS number 8 on the other hand, looks like she went through a war.

I do love the trucks on that dash 8, they look authentic.

Nice job of weathering Jerry.

David Maynard said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Jerry Barnes said:

Jerry,

Devon, oh no. No no no. Weathering isn’t messing it up, it’s making an accurate representation of the prototype. I kit-bashed a Heartland Forney into the P&SC number 7. She wont get weathered, since she pulled the varnish (passenger train) and so she was kept clean by the railroad crews. My P&CS number 8 on the other hand, looks like she went through a war.

I do love the trucks on that dash 8, they look authentic.

Yes I now weather is the way to go. Kevin Strong’s locomotives look so good and I plan on doing my best to make mine look the same. I now when its done it I will like it better than shiny black.

Jerry dash 8 is a great example of making a model look right. They just aren’t clean.

Thanks guys. I keep my passenger trains clean and a lot of my cars are not weathered, more due to laziness than anything. That MTH Dash 8’s smoke unit is great(like all MTH) and goes for a LONG time before you need to refill it. I enjoy running the smoke, adds to the experience, I think.

I bought this engine used and it did not have the snow plow or the cables. I got them from Ray Manley. Painted them and weathered the plow some.

Jerry, looks great. Not over done, but realistic. Weathering takes real skill. Artistic!

Thanks Richard. Those Bragdon powders are easy to use, can always wipe them off. I use a spray can a little from a distance on the trucks. I Usually hit the chalks with a light matte clear, even though they say that is not necessary. Still mulling over weathering my MTH Big Boy. Have a new one on order with Ray, so just might. Those poor things looked pretty bad most of the time, they worked them hard!

I like it. It looks like a relatively new (or recently shopped) engine that now has a little road grime on it. Pretty much like you see all over the West pulling long consists of containers. Just like real!