Large Scale Central

CPR G3 2402 4-6-2 Pacific

Managed to pickup a Aristo first generation Pacific at a reasonable price so didn’t mind bashing it a bit. Always wanted to do one of the semi-streamlined CPR G3gs. Not a craftsman but using the 10 foot rule it will do. Her first run on my outdoor layout. Last shot shows the prototype, have to tackle the tender over the winter.

Ya done good, McGee.

Awesome engine! Just a thought on the mechanism (if you ever find its inadequate)…You may consider using USA Trains NW-2 power trucks on the tender. The standard AAR trucks look quite acceptable, depsite being only B-B configuration. It does, however, require making a new floor so that they sit at the appropriate height.

I rebuilt my 1st gen pacific into a 2-6-6-0 years back using two LGB mogul chassis and two NW-2 trucks in the tender. It wasn’t very authentic to any prototype, but it certainly looked neat on the layout and it could pull!

I think you did a fine job. looks good.

Nicely done Steve. I look forward to what you do on the tender. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

Awesome engine! Just a thought on the mechanism (if you ever find its inadequate)…You may consider using USA Trains NW-2 power trucks on the tender. The standard AAR trucks look quite acceptable, depsite being only B-B configuration. It does, however, require making a new floor so that they sit at the appropriate height.

I rebuilt my 1st gen pacific into a 2-6-6-0 years back using two LGB mogul chassis and two NW-2 trucks in the tender. It wasn’t very authentic to any prototype, but it certainly looked neat on the layout and it could pull!

I’d like to see pics in another thread if you would Jeff

Nice looking locomotive Steve!

We should organize a Pacific day for one of our standard gauge operations.

Doug Hayes’ CNR Pacific

My CNR Pacific

Pat’s CPR Pacific

Works for me Paul, could do a standard gauge steam day, must be someone around with a live steam Royal Hudson. I know there is at least one Mikado converted to CNR with the vestibule cab. Now if I could find a Hudson and a vandy tender… (my favorite CN Steamer #5700)

Sweet! CP has to be one of the sharpest steam loco paint schemes.

Later,

K

They always had a classy look in the passenger scheme. CP also kept them in immaculate shape especially as the steam era ended. I can remember the small D4s on the branch line that ran behind my uncle’s farm always being shiny and new looking. One article I read said the crews even spray painted over any visible rust before a run because they knew that photos were being taken. This photo shows one of these D4s returning from a run up the line.

The G3s particularly look good with a consist of CP Maroon passenger cars.

Steve McKenzie said:

Works for me Paul, could do a standard gauge steam day, must be someone around with a live steam Royal Hudson. I know there is at least one Mikado converted to CNR with the vestibule cab. Now if I could find a Hudson and a vandy tender… (my favorite CN Steamer #5700)

Steve, I have a live-steam Royal Hudson, but remember that it is in 1/32nd scale - Gauge 1 standard. What do you need to know?

I also have a matching Tenshodo Crown-series Royal Hudson in H0 scale - a lot easier to convert measurements from that to 1/29th scale…

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Hi Terry

We are hopeful to get a large steam day going at Fred’s for this Saturday, now if you thought you could make it? Seeing as you were already there for the Invasion two trips this summer might seem excessive! But if you love heavy steam that Royal Hudson would fit right in …

The pictures don’t tell the full story of Steve’s “Rebuilding” of the basic Aristo Pacific.

Steve purchased the locomotive from Erwin Fast, a good friend of mine. Erwin had started making the changes to the basic loco, which he had bought new in order to convert it to the CPR heavy Pacific, or at least a close resemblance, but never completed it. It needed a few parts, and a lot of thought.

Steve took the project farther on, and made the loco much more true to the prototype than Aristo’s efforts on their limited run CPR Pacific, shown in some of the shots. The biggest change in my estimation, that stands out the most, is the “All weather cab”. Steve also body mounted a Kadee coupler on the pilot, and it works well on minimum 10 foot DIAMETER curves.

I’ll leave it to Steve to tell anyone interested, how he built the cab, but I was surprised to learn, that the cab doors are B’mann K27 doors…they sure look sharp.

Great work Steve…you are moving along well in true modelling, and kit bashing, in Large Scale. I think we all will be waiting to see what is on for your next project.

A good sideview of the loco, showing the cab would sure show what you have produced…I’m guessing that Pat will be interested in getting his converted too…!!

Pat has the Aristo limited run version, and it is a true odd ball…the factory paint and lettering, has the “C” in Canadian Pacific (anadian), missing on one side.

Fred we are so blessed to be able to run on “your layout” ( I know you always say its our layout but only thanks to you) we never know what opportunities will come at us from week to week. Since I Know you are digitally challenged a few shots from our Pacific Saturday!

Managed to pickup a couple of CPR heavyweights today to go with the CPR G3g 2402.