Large Scale Central

HO decoder with CVP convertr = magic smoke

You can’t push 3 AMS tank cars up a 2% grade with a bachmann 0-4-0 gas mechanical equipped with an HO DCC decoder. LOL!! Ask me how I know.

I’ve been using the CVP (airwire) convertr and an HO DCC DH166 digitrax decoder for awhile without problems. BUT the loco never leaves the yard. It switches 2 or 3 cars on flat surfaces. Today I forgot and left 3 cars out on the layout. Instead of firing up the K or connie the 0-4-0 was out and about so I took it down the loooong hilland grabbed the cars. About midway up it started lurching then it stopped dead. Magic smoke started rolling out of the hood. It was actually kind of cool really. So, I have to find a higher amp decoder that will fit in next to zero room. If I can’t find one I’m thinking a 1 amp fuse. Much cheaper and easier to change!

On a side note, the convertr works great and the Bachmann gas mechanical is a little brute.

Terry

Sorry Terry (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

AMS Tank Cars, if they are the tank-on-flat, pretty much have their brakes at a half set all the time! Trying to get them up a grade it’s no wonder you let the smoke out. I have three. Sometimes the ‘set-out’ train needs to push all three along with 4-6 other cars up my 4%, My 2-truck Shay can do it, but it works hard doing it.

it’s ok. I learned something new. Also, the HO decoders can be had for about $15. So, it’s not a total bust. :slight_smile:

T

Mine took this lot up a 4% grade:

Convrtr & Zimo MX645 with amazing sound.

Cheers,

Peter.

My experience has shown me that the Zimo motor drivers are better at protecting themselves from overload damage than Digitrax or Soundtraxx (although usually the soundtraxx just stops and blinks the led on the board).

Greg

While the MX645 is 1.2 amps, (2.5 amps peak for 20 seconds) the P22 version is 1.8 amps.

And 3 watts audio in 4 ohm load.

If this decoder overloads in a single motor LGB engine then the motor is bad, replacement motor fixed 2 of these for me.

Some LGB motors fail (start drawing more than 1 amp) after running for more than 30 seconds.

Dan, have you ever pulled these apart to determine what went wrong? My guess would be a shorted winding.

Greg

Some had shafts that were worn and wobbled under load Bad motor bearings, it is one of the things I always look for in motors, dshaft play on either end.

My loco could do the pull without the digitrax card!