Large Scale Central

Bachmann K27 Conversion

I’m about to covert my Bachmann K27 to battery power. I plan to use a G Scale Graphics RailBoss plus and a Phoenix sound system. Is there anyone out there who has made this conversion using a non-plugin receiver. Any help would be appreciated. I have installed the RailBoss systems before so I’m not quite a novice in this area.

Thanks

Doc Watson

Doc,

I did a battery conversion using AirWire RC, Cordless Renovations battery, and Phoenix sound. The setup allows for both constant track power and battery to be used as needed. My thread is here http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22079/major-k27-overhaul , and included a wiring diagram of how I did mine. PM me if you are interested in and additional information.

Bob C.

Hi Don, I am curious why you would bypass the perfectly good plug N play socket? If it is for the economics of using your current product enough said. In the past I have been invited to some Bachmann planning meetings and I believe they have created a very comprehensive socket providing for a great battery conversion. ( I am not talking about the motor gearing)

With that said, for battery only power, you should be able to wire the Rail Boss to the side solder pads. Refer to your K-27 manual for the wiring descriptions. I would talk to Del and ask him about the wiring first.

To make your install easier and better, I have a Battery Install Kit that mounts into hole inside the water fill along with the Phoenix volume switch. The charge jack is placed on the rear panel of the tender. You can see the photos at my web site. http://www.rcsofne.com/galleries/installs-scales/

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Don

Thanks Bob and Don. I need to do a little more research to ask some intelligent questions. One that comes to mind right now is how to deal with the use of the optical chuff sensor. I really don’t want to add magnets and sensor.

Doc Watson

Hi Don, as you might be aware, you need to modify the K-27 optical chuff. Phoenix has a 20 page instruction booklet explaining this procedure. I chose not to do this mod. After you read how much work is required you might agree. Only the RCS Elite-PnP and new AirWire K-27 systems have the reverse transistor built in.

If you want the loco to run soon you might go with using the reed switch and magnets on a wheel axle. I chose this option for my K-27. But on my C-19 and all other Bachmann locos the chuff works correctly and sounds great. I use the Phoenix P8.

Sorry not more helpful. Don

Don

The simple instructions for installing the transistor are here

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/k-27/installdocuments/QSI_Solutions.pdf

While the instructions are for the QSI board they are exactly the same for Phoenix using battery power.

Its relatively easy to install 12 C size batteries in the K27 tender without altering the Bachmann board.

Hope that helps

Stan

Stan and Don,

Both very helpful suggestions. I really want to use the optical chuff, so this info will take care of that objective.

Doc Watson

I’m gonna ask the question of, why wouldn’t you want to gut all the electronics out of the loco? I prefer it simply for the fact that I know exactly where all my wiring is going and I’m not wasting battery power (yes, small amounts) on a bunch of electronics I don’t need.

Don, the K is a fun and fairly straight forward install. The tender is like a cavern and all the wiring is available in the tender to tap into.

T

It’s more like why would you go to the extra work and trouble, and possible wiring mistakes to remove something that is working fine?

I personally like to try to work with the existing electronics making as few changes as possible.

To each his own of course. There is also the consideration if you wish to sell later, or change to a different system, leaving the stock wiring undisturbed is probably better.

Greg

Hi Terry this is Don-2. In the past all the K-27 conversions I did or supplied the gear was plug N play and had the transistor for optical chuff. I did not need to remove any wiring. Those already using a system without plug N play had no choice but modify the wiring.

Being an installer I try to use the original wiring when possible. As Greg mentioned just for future changes or resale of the Loco.

Terry, as you stated everything is there to be tapped into. Having the DCC wiring setup definitely helps make the connections easier.

Have fun running trains, Don

I build a simple interface board for Bachmann K27, as shown between the P8 and battery in this picture.

The resistor and transistor at the top replace the Phoenix Sound volume switch and allow the Revolution throttle to raise and lower the volume.
The capacitor and transistor on the bottom corrects the chuff signal for the Phoenix Sound P8.
The screw terminals make sound board wiring easy.

The instructions for assembling it are on the Ottawa Valley GRS web site.

Thanks Paul,

That looks like a viable solution for me.

Doc Watson