Large Scale Central

Delton Railbus

I picked up a Delton rail bus from Ebay. The seller indicated that it would not run. I took a gamble on it anyway. Well it arrived today. Someone had their way with this thing in a major way. After I removed all of the jacked up wiring and large incandescent toy train lamps, I tackled the motor block and front truck. The photo of the motor block shows that the swivel pin on the top has been cut off. When I received the bus the motor block was held in place with some stiff wire screwed to the top of the block and bent up through the hole in the chassis, really? I noticed that only one axle is powered, not good. One of my concerns is the front truck. It will not swivel without the wheels hitting the chassis.

Bottom line here is does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with this thing. It’s not returnable and I am not ready toss it in the trash.

Not familiar with them Dan but the front truck looks incorrect and the motor block looks like an easy fix.

I will fix it up for free and send it back but I’m not sure where I would put the HEP cabling or dynamic braking fan just yet!

Yes, the front truck looks wrong. Also I think the pilot (cowcatcher) has been changed out and moved back. Mine has a longer pilot on it.

The Delton power truck does only have one axle powered, and mine used to slip from time to time. But I had forgotten that the power truck had a 12 volt motor in it and, I , um, smoked mine. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)So mine no longer runs neither.

Put smaller diameter wheels in up front. That might give you the clearance.

John

John Caughey said:

Put smaller diameter wheels in up front. That might give you the clearance.

John

Won’t fix the side frame hitting the steps though

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Took a couple more pictures of the front truck. It looks like the coupler bar has been cut off. Almost as if the truck was once a freight car truck that has been modified for use on this vehicle.

Dan Padova said:

Took a couple more pictures of the front truck. It looks like the coupler bar has been cut off. Almost as if the truck was once a freight car truck that has been modified for use on this vehicle.

I think you are spot on Dan!

I was attempting to post the photos and something went wrong. Let’s try again. Ok, looks like we have success. Also, I was browsing Ebay and noticed another Delton bus for sale. Looking at the front truck, I see what looks like washers between the truck and the bolster.

One more thing. I seem to recall that the Hartland rail bus started life as a Delton product. I wonder if the motor block is the same and if Hartlands block has two powered axles ?

Dan, I have wondered the same thing. Years ago I bought an Aristo Mack rail-bus power block, but its too tall to fit under the Delton.

The front truck is different from stock. The truck you have on the front of yours is the tender truck from a Delton C-16. The railbus truck has a shorter wheelbase. It’s got coil spring detail molded in, whereas the C-16 truck does not. The wheels are probably a smaller diameter as well, but possibly the same, just closer together.

My suggestion would be to replace the front truck. If you can get a truck from one of Bachmann’s “20-foot” cars (the small ones with the 24mm wheels), that’d be my first thought. Otherwise, look for a junk Newbright car (sorry, that may be redundant), and use the trucks from that. You can still probably use the same 24mm Bachmann wheels, though you may have to do some minor surgery on the Newbright truck so the wheels fit.

On the motor block, presuming it runs and its only fault is a lack of a mounting pin, that’s easy to fabricate. I’d use a thin brass plate that I could screw to the top of the existing block with a short section of brass tube soldered to it for the pin. You could use styrene, but I just don’t trust the joint between a styrene tube and plate to be strong enough to take the abuse of being carried around.

If you want to power both axles, you could take off the side frames and use sprockets and chains a la Galloping Goose. Servo City sells sprockets and chains. Depending on the diameter of the axle, the sprockets may be a press fit onto the axles. Depending on how tight that press fit is, you may be able to get away without any kind of mechanical fastener to hold the sprockets in place, or you may want to drill through the sprocket and attach it to the wheel itself.

Here’s my scratchbuilt power truck showing how I’ve got the sprockets and chains. On mine, the wheels are spoked, so I only needed something to stick through the sprocket far enough to where they’d engage the spokes. Phil’s Narrow Gauge pins did the trick for me, but an 0-80 screw should work just as well. In the case of the Delton wheels, they’re solid, so you’d have to drill a hole into the wheel. The screw just has to engage the hole, it doesn’t necessarily have to be threaded. (The sprocket is soft enough to be self-tapping if you don’t have an 0-80 tap.) You don’t need but one screw into the wheel to transmit the power from the sprocket. You can do more for aesthetic reasons, but you can also cut them short so you don’t need to drill into the wheel.

Later,

K

Dan Padova said:

One more thing. I seem to recall that the Hartland rail bus started life as a Delton product. I wonder if the motor block is the same and if Hartlands block has two powered axles ?

I got this far down, and before I continue, I’d prolly call HLW to see if I could scrounge some parts. aside: The Railbus is the 1st ‘Loco’ I wanted when I got into ‘G’ and the one I still don’t own :frowning:

Cale Nelson said:

The Railbus is the 1st ‘Loco’ I wanted when I got into ‘G’ and the one I still don’t own :frowning:

Cale,

Give me a call if you still want a “Doozie”

Ralph

Kevin, that’s a nice job you did, both your explanation and the work itself. I did wind up calling Hartland and ordered a new motor block however. Phil, at Hartland described how to fit their motor block into the Delton chassis. On the issue of the front truck, I knew something didn’t seem right with the truck supplied. I tried placing some washers to lift the body a bit but the clearances are still too close. I’ll try your suggestion about the Bachmann truck.

I looked at mine, and the front truck is a rigid truck, its not sprung like the other Delton trucks I have. It also has electrical pick ups on it, with a black and red wire screwed to the underside of the truck. If it had been a typical Delton truck, I would have offered you a set of Delton trucks. But it is unlike the spare trucks I have. So maybe Bachmann truck would work out better.