Large Scale Central

some smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKubxdR1woo&feature=youtu.begot the new smoke unit working,still working on the synchronized puff

I like that.

Good thing you have a fire extinguisher hanging on the wall ! That thing must go through a pint of oil a minute. Impressive.

That is some crazy smoke and indoors to boot! Did you set off the smoke alarms??

Holy smokes, Batman !!

smoke unit mods

stock unit/repositioning stack in the middle

thats the puff/still working on it to get it right,changed to a 12 volt blower ,need to test this one/5 volt blower was to week

Thats the synchronized “puff” had to change the blower to a 12 volt unit,5 volt was to weak! That 's the way it works : 2 revos are used in the tender 1 for the odney eddington gear drive the other revo parallel drives the smoke unit (more speed,more smoke) the white gear with the hole in it makes 4 turns per wheel revolution,the blower blows(of course) the " puff into the smoke unit(which has its own blower in sync with the motor speed) her by increasing the air velocity and creates the “puff” simple isn’t it ? The hard part is cramming everything into the K 27 boiler !

I gave up on voltage regulators(7805/7812) they created their own smoke i bought instead some tiny regulators(adjustable voltage 2-30 volts online) which work great!

Manfred

https://youtu.be/dIhk6bU8BdU

Be very careful with this unit. I installed the same smoker in my K-36 and even though it said 12V don’t believe it, after about an hour of operation the bottom melted out and caught on fire. That Bachmann plastic boiler will not last long if the same thing happens to you, just watch it closely.

This is a replacement unit which has some reenforcment (I believe lexan 3mm )on the inside,the 1rst one had the sidewalls collapsed.

All I can say is never trust it and if something doesn’t look right shut it down fast and inspect it. I have seen what can happen if it fails, you don’t want that.

There is a fuse factory installed so when it shortens out the fuse kicks in if the plastic reservoir melts and leaks no electronics no problems (gutted)

I just came across an interesting video of a German “Spur 1” locomotive (I think that’s 1/32 scale) with some really nice smoke effects. The coolest thing is the “steam” from the cylinder cocks too:

https://youtu.be/yMvj2k0nl1E

Manfred,

Any chance you could provide more information on “the smoke unit”. What’s the name of the unit, who produces it, and where can it be purchased?

Pretty sure that is the Harbor Models unit, he’s been working with it for a while…

http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/main_pages/smoker.htm

But, he has modified it quite a bit, and now has a rotating “valve” to do the puffing… message: not off the shelf, not cheap, not easy, and not small, not for battery power.

So you cannot even purchase the harbor models stock unit and make it puff easily, the way it comes it’s full on all the time.

Greg

Its the harbor model unit : Its battery powered 2 x7,2 volt 5ah NH in the tender ca 40 min run time ,yes K 27 engine with rodney’s down gearing and the smoke unit (the smoke unit is synchronized with the engine control 2 revo receiver moed) so when the K 27 moves faster the smoke increases also , there are 2 lipos 14.4 volts 5AH in a trailing car behind the tender ,so with the flip of a switch i can increase the running time to almost 2 hrs ,thats a petty god running time with the smoke unit using ca 50 ml lamp oil

The stock harbor model smoke unit is offset :the fan is glued to the smoke box and also the stack is off to one side, to make it fit you need to break off the fan housing carefully to relocate close to the smoke box (connect 1/2 tubing between to establish air flow ,the stack grab with some pliers and twist it out, drill the same DIA hole in the middle close to the front (5mm ) very carefully!! Just penetrate the wall of the smoke box(otherwise the wick will wrap around the drill and destroy the unit)

Its a pretty nice unit smokes well ,don’t run it dry the model ship guy’s use the unit in their boats with the speed control in conjunction with the motors to regulate speed and smoke output! The newer smoke units are designed this way and have a bridge rectifier included so it works equal in forward and reverse!

Its the harbor model unit : Its battery powered 2 x7,2 volt 5ah NH in the tender ca 40 min run time ,yes K 27 engine with rodney’s down gearing and the smoke unit (the smoke unit is synchronized with the engine control 2 revo receiver moed) so when the K 27 moves faster the smoke increases also , there are 2 lipos 14.4 volts 5AH in a trailing car behind the tender ,so with the flip of a switch i can increase the running time to almost 2 hrs ,thats a petty god running time with the smoke unit using ca 50 ml lamp oil

The stock harbor model smoke unit is offset :the fan is glued to the smoke box and also the stack is off to one side, to make it fit you need to break off the fan housing carefully to relocate close to the smoke box (connect 1/2 tubing between to establish air flow ,the stack grab with some pliers and twist it out, drill the same DIA hole in the middle close to the front (5mm ) very carefully!! Just penetrate the wall of the smoke box(otherwise the wick will wrap around the drill and destroy the unit)

Its a pretty nice unit smokes well ,don’t run it dry the model ship guy’s use the unit in their boats with the speed control in conjunction with the motors to regulate speed and smoke output! The newer smoke units are designed this way and have a bridge rectifier included so it works equal in forward and reverse!