Large Scale Central

Bachmann broken wire from engine to tender.

I bought a used 3 truck shay and the seller said he thought it had a loose wire that was preventing the tender truck from working.

I took a chance and bought it. The shay arrived today and upon inspection I found that one of the wires from the engine to the rear tender is broken off at the plug. It looks like someone, probably the owner, tried to fix this without success. The little metal piece inside the plastic plug for this one broken wire is not there.

What are my options for fixing this?

Thanks.

Todd,

Assuming that the connectors are like the connectors on the K27 and Connie, they are an automotive type connector. There are a myriad of companies that make automotive connectors. The one I have used with good success is MOLEX, and if my memory is still in tact, they have the type of connectors used. They will also have the pins. If you can determine which connector and which pin, they might send you a pin as a sample.

If I think of any others that might work I will post again.

Bob C.

In the UK we have a chain of shops called Maplins, beloved by electronics geeks. I believe they are similar to a chain in the US that is (were) known as Radio Shack. These types of connectors are found in the an area usually referred to as the “home electronics projects” section. There are probably loads of on-line retailers that will show up under that heading with the right bits. Had to replace those on my Connie that had broken pins. Get them as a set, male and female, and off you go. Max.

Radio Shack had many outlets a few years ago in the UK. A pity they withdrew from here.

At least model racing car dealers can be a great source for railroaders.

The pin side is fine, it is the plug side that has the broken wire. From what you guys have suggested it sounds like I can find a similar plug at a radio shack or electronics supply store and then I can remove the single plug from the new piece, push it into the Bachmann plug and solder the wire to it. Sounds simple enough but the pieces are a challenge due to their size.

This seems like a weak spot in the Bachmann design because that plug needs to be pulled every time the loco is moved to the track. I will need to build a engine cradle for this big shay to avoid anymore damage to that plug.

Hmm I wonder if any bachmann plug piece would work? I have a few engines sitting around from starter sets. I only need that little metal plug to pin piece…

www.allelectronics.com

(search for “connectors” on my site)

http://www.elmassian.com/large-scale-train-main-page/dcc-battery-rc-electronics/misc-electronics/connectors.html

Greg

The trick when handling the 3 truck’s tender connector is always to pull it away holding the raised “tabs” on end of the male plug.That way you do not put any stress on the wires or pins. On other Bachmann tender locos, say the K-27, you need to make sure you are holding down a molded in retaining clip too when pulling the connectors apart.

Don’t worry if you have to do a little filling of the apatures where the plug sits in the tender of the Shay. Again had to do a little fetteling when I replaced the Connie’s connectors. Max.

I would crimp, or solder, the wire to the female pin, before I put into the connector (plug). But thats just me.

Todd,

I have designed a ‘drive in’ loco carrier that will work with track power or battery. Here is a link to the site where a PDF of drawings is located. http://www.gscalejunkie.com/52insidecarry.html A note on the drawings, they are sized to be printed at 11 x 17. The one posted is for a large loco (Aristo Mallet), but can easily be scaled down for what ever loco you want to put in it. The original design was for my K27, so it is already sized (width and height) for a 1:20 loco. The only thing not shown in the drawings is the foam padding that will be required between the side panels and the loco.

If you have any specific questions, PM me so I can answer them.

Bob C.

I checked the bachmann connection from the cheaper engine and it is bigger so will not work. While investigating the Shay pin setup I noticed another wire has come loose. UGH! I made a diagram so I will remember what goes where and released the other 2 from that side. The 4 on the other side of the plug seem nice and tight.

Good advice David that is what I was planning to do.

If I was to get a new harness say from Greg’s site the only problem I see is having to take apart the loco to get to the board then solder onto it which is a bit scary…

That is a heavy duty carrier you made Bob. I remember when you posted about it. Many years ago I made a tote for my LGB Forney. I made it to look like a gallows stye turntable bridge and I had a spot in my train yard where it fit into. I used this as a turntable, drive on, lift spin and then drive off. The Forney still sits in it on the shelf to this day. I might do something similar for the shay.

Todd, I was just posting my site that it has the link to allelectronics.com… you might be able to find another matching connector there.

Regards, Greg

Todd,

Another option might be to contact Bachmann and see if you can purchase a socket from them. If they don’t offer it as a part see if they will tell you which manufacturer made the connector. Both are somewhat of long shots, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Here is a link to what is, I think, the parts break out for your shay http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/82494.pdf

Maybe referring to the specific connector number from the diagram will help.

Good luck!

Bob c.

Struck out at the local Radio Shack. The guy had no clue what I was looking for. I found out why half the stuff was gone from what used to be called a signature store. It turns out in the bankruptcy RS was going through Sprint bought them out and took over half their stores to sell their phones out of. There is a virtual line down the middle of the store.

I will check my parts bin one more time then turn to online. Thanks guys.

Hi Todd, are you coming to the Train OPS 2105? If you can not find connectors I should have some by then. I have two Bachmann sources that I will try. In the past I was lucky enough to salvage the connectors without locating new pins to solder.

Let you know in 1-2 days.

Don

What is train ops 2105?

After a second sweep of parts I found an old sound system out of something and it had the right pins. What a pain putting these things in. It isn’t pretty but the third truck and sound is working now on the Shay.

Next project for this engine will be to build a tote and detail the engine up with some paint.

Thanks for the info guys.

TrainOps.

Silly me, it is called Train OPS 2015, hosted by Bob at his layout in Massachusetts. I need to get this keyboard fixed.

Todd you should try to attend. Did you click on the link Steve posted?

Todd, I have found out Bachmann does not have those pins or presently selling the cables. Glad to hear you fixed your problem. When I do a battery conversion on the 3 truck Shay I can move to another pin if one or two are damaged. Dave Goodson replaces them with a new heavy connector. Sorry there is no easy solution. Don

When I did a battery conversion on an LGB loco and tender I use the sense lead extension cables that connect to the monitor plugs for LiPo batteries on battery chargers sold by hobbyking.

They have a plug and a socket, one each end so if you cut the lead in half you now have a plug and socket with wires attached to make a connection between loco and tender. I just glued the socket to the loco body with epoxy in a convenient place.

With my shay I used the existing plug and socket and paralleled a couple of pins on the tender circuit board to carry the current and provide redundancy in case one failed.