Large Scale Central

Disneyland and Santa Fe

I’ve been spending some of my summer reconditioning a couple of old Bachmann coaches and a combine and turning them into the look of the Disneyland and Santa Fe cars known as Retlaw 1. I just aquired two additional coaches via eBay that are awaiting some dismantling so they can be repainted.

I’m really excited that we are vacationing in San Diego shortly with a stop on the way to the Los Angeles Live Steamers Museum and a visit to Walt Disney’s barn and a chance to meet the original combine of the consist.

I’ve posted some photos to share of my progress thus far…

Richard

I got a bit too excited and painted the three coaches without fully studying pictures of the originals. There are no hand rails on the body of the original cars so I’m going to play with removing them and trying my hand at some filler and a little repaint.

don’t forget rule 8!

if you like the handrails, just leave them on.

FYI the original Retlaw cars are on a private RR on a ranch in Central California. The original cars all had seat that faced forward. When Primeval World was added Disney decided to replace the original cars with new cars where the seats all faced sideways. They were only ten years old and in prestine condition, they are still in great condition today despite being 60 years old now

Vic…is Hillcrest the RR ranch in Reedley you are speaking of? I remember now hearing that the coaches were there for restoration and that Shane the owner has done a lot of the repair on some of the Disneyland engines. If so I’m right down the street just about two/three miles away literally.

I’ll have to check with the father of one of my students that works there…he has invited me to come out in the past.

Hillcrest is a great place.

Thanks,

Richard

Hmmmmmmmmmm… Richard… I know where you might find the lettering, drumhead, numbers and other art for those cars… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Hey Stan…I already have the lettering, numbers, and the filligree for the corners from you. Give me some more detail when you say drum head and other art…thanks.

You wouldn’t happen to have the design that is in the clerestory windows?

Richard

Vic and Richard,

Walt’s “private car”, the Disneyland railroad Combine, now sits on display at Griffith Park. It is part of the Disney Barn display at Los Angeles Live Steamers. This car was always added to a train when Walt visited Disneyland. It has been fully restored and is in beautiful condition! Come by and see it.

Hi Richard… I just sent a proof set to you. The drum head art is the circle for the observation car…

So sorry, but I totally spaced out and forgot that you had the art… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Gary - I’ll be there this Sunday on our family trip to San Diego…very excited. I also joined the Carolwood Pacific Society back a few months ago…so feel like I’m now a small part of it all.

Richard

Richard Mynderup said:

Gary - I’ll be there this Sunday on our family trip to San Diego…very excited. I also joined the Carolwood Pacific Society back a few months ago…so feel like I’m now a small part of it all.

Richard

Richard,

I just checked our (Los Angeles Live Steamers) website and it shows the Disney Barn WILL be open this Sunday July 19th! Great planning. The combine should be open for you to see and a Carolwood Pacific docent/volunteer should be there to show you the car and answer any of your questions. The Carolwood Pacific group are great people. You might also get a surprise visit from Jay Leno that afternoon, as he drives one of his steam cars over to the facility to exhibit. He usually does that when the Barn is open.

Gary,

Very cool to hear…looking forward to a great day! Thanks for the heads up!

Richard

Jay is a great guy and will talk for hours with you if you don’t act like a “gee whiz” fan. Just talk about cars or railroading, and he’s your guy.

Yeah thanks for the heads up Andrew…I’ve met a few celebrities in my life and I tend to under play the whole thing…after all they are regular folks just like us.

We had a wonderful time visiting the Live Steamers museum and Walt Disney’s Barn at Griffith Park last week. Although it was crazy hot and humid we had a nice time seeing so many steam engines in one place. It was also neat to see the beautifully restored original combine of the Retlaw 1 consist that was Walt Disney’s favorite car. Even got a personal tour of the inside by a knowledgeable guide.

Didn’t run into Jay Leno. He was the smart one probably staying inside with some air conditioning.

Richard

It’s been awhile, but I’ve finally been able to get some more work done on my Disneyland and Santa Fe Retlaw 1 consist. Using 3D file of park bench in 1:25 I’m able to print the ends only which will be the basis for the coach seats in the project. Timing it just right I can stop the printer before it begins to print the park bench slats…they don’t print that well anyway. I know a seat like this is not exactly what was used in the original coaches because Disney had little money and used school bus seats. But I think these will turn out nicely and add to the overall coach interiors.

Richard

Cool

Richard,

I somehow missed this thread until now but will be following it from now on. I too am a fan of the Rewlaw coaches and have rode in all 4 of the cars at the Ranch and rode just in front of the Lily Belle as the park closed. I wasn’t aware of the combine being at Griffith Park but will have to visit the next time down there.

Are you the one who runs the large scale at Hillcrest during the special events?

Steve

Steve Borges said:

Richard,

I somehow missed this thread until now but will be following it from now on. I too am a fan of the Rewlaw coaches and have rode in all 4 of the cars at the Ranch and rode just in front of the Lily Belle as the park closed. I wasn’t aware of the combine being at Griffith Park but will have to visit the next time down there.

Are you the one who runs the large scale at Hillcrest during the special events?

Steve

Steve,

The Retlaw (“Walter”…spelled backwards) Combine has been on display at Los Angeles Live Steamers in Griffith Park for many years now. The Disney Studios did the complete storage shelter and display for us.

I guess it’s been longer than I thought since I visited LALS! The last I had heard was the combine was still in storage and I had heard rumors that it might end up in the Disney family museum. Great to see it on display and well protected.

Steve