Large Scale Central

Foam Bridge Build

My old foam bridge did not survive the move so a tree could be taken down, was about 20 years old. I wanted to have a curve in it this time so I got a 8’ long 1 x 12 board and cut the curve out of it. 2x6 supports and some 1 x 2’s for center of the arches. Foam was glued with the special glue they have for it and screwed with plated screws. ‘Stones’ will be scored into the surface, then primed/painted. Probably no lights, would just knock them off.

go on, don’t dare, to put it in place, before completly done!

Korm Kormsen said:

go on, don’t dare, to put it in place, before completly done!

Hehehe…double dare to put it in place like it is just for pics

Just in time Jerry, I’ll have to keep an eye on this project. I want to do the same to some of my exposed lattice on my inner loop.

I scored in the blocks with a pencil. Filling the screw holes with latex calk. Mulling over paint colors, old one was gray, may go with tans/browns on this one, have to go out and look to decide. Wood board top will be covered with the adhesive backed rubber stuff they use on roof jobs.

Nice to see that you thought to include the “keystones.” The devil is in the details. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Looks good, Jerry…

Keystones? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Keystones were invented by the Romans, I think. Their angled shape pushing down in the center of the arch kept it from falling down. Those years of art history can pay off, I guess.

You could mount lights under the arches. That seems to be the practice on prototype bridges lately. The adhesive backed rubber stuff is known as Ice & Water Shield. It’s used as a first layer on roofs, before the shingles are applied. It used to be that it was installed on the first three feet or so of a sloped roof, just above the gutter. In colder climates it would prevent water leakage caused by a build up of ice at the bottom of the slope on a roof. Now days it’s used almost exclusively in place of felt paper ( tar paper ).

I painted the bridge with latex paint. Primer, then top coat, it was too yellow, so had it remixed and dry brushed the brown over it. The yellow sort of became the mortar. I used acrylics to paint some of the blocks different colors for variety. The is a layer of the rubber roof/ice dam stuff I got from a buddy. Did not stick all that well, so stapled it down. Might put lights on the ends.

Nice job, Well done. Great color(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif).

That looks great Jerry!

It will weather very nicely

Looks good Jerry! Would you like to build one for the south east end of my layout? Needs to be about 40 foot long and two foot high! : )

OH ten foot radius curve.

Don

congrats, jerry, that is a very nice bridge now.

Jerry, new bridge looks great, nice job…

Your bridge looks super. The keystones are a nice touch.

Is it too late to carve in a dedication block with the date on it like I did when I built my foam bridge?

Guess I could, still in the shop. Still mulling over lights, at least under the arches i guess. Figured ones sticking up I’d just knock over sometime and trip on them.

Hey Jerry, beautiful job. I really like the colors you chose. I wanted to build a 12" diameter trestle and calculated the weight of one it’s sections in concrete. I quickly switched to building the same shape in wood! I’m pretty sure you’ll be pleased for several reasons when you move it into place.

Jerry Barnes said:

Keystones were invented by the Romans, I think. Their angled shape pushing down in the center of the arch kept it from falling down. Those years of art history can pay off, I guess.

Yep, they can. Played in Google right quick and found this, which includes diagram of technical names for arch parts. (“which parts? parts is parts”)
"The recognition Ancient Romans did not receive from art historians came from modern engineers who investigated and admired the construction techniques the Romans used to build roads, aqueducts, baths, tribunals, circuses, walls and obviously temples and houses. "
http://www.romeartlover.it/Costroma.html