Large Scale Central

Happy Canada Day!

Nothing more needs to be said.

Canada_flag_halifax_9_-04.JPG (2048×1536)

tac, mrs tac and the famb over here, wishing we were over there.

To all our Canadian friends, have a happy day! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Happy Canada day to one and all…

I love Canada. If I didn’t live here in the US I’d like move there. Beautiful country and generally very nice people. Except the one grouchy boarder patrol agent. But I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Happy Canada Day.

Ok. I’m waiting for some shots of those CN units rolling in their gardens. Happy Canada day.

Devon Sinsley said:

I love Canada. If I didn’t live here in the US I’d like move there. Beautiful country and generally very nice people. Except the one grouchy boarder patrol agent. But I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Happy Canada Day.

You ran into her, too? She told me I was crazy to try to ski at Whistler on a day trip. Had a great time.

As a Canadian; I thank you all, and welcome you here any time…

Fred Mills

‘Nothing more needs to be said’ - Tac

There is more. Tac knows of what he speaks. His living in Oregon, Canada, and also in homeland England, gives him a perspective many of us don’t have nor will have. Canada, in my opinion, does not promote a message of endless abundance as I think America has promoted. The outcome is a country that evidences personal care with each resident charged to preserving and protecting the environment. Our travels in Canada show a country managed by its people to remain clean and cared for — now and for the future.

Thanks Tac.

Wendell

Steve Featherkile said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Happy Canada Day.

You ran into her, too? She told me I was crazy to try to ski at Whistler on a day trip. Had a great time.

No mine was a he and I actually deserved a reprimand but he carried it a bit far. I failed to stop at the stop sign and just pulled up to the booth. So he proceeds to read me the riot act about stopping at stop signs. He says" did you see the red octagon sign that says stop, it means the same thing north of the 48 that is it does south of it" I said “oops sorry, i missed it”. He then was just generally crabby the whole time and then as I was leaving he scowls and says" and don’t forget to stop at those stop signs". Now my son who was 13 and doesn’t even say “damn” or “hell” because they are bad words looks at me and says “He was kind of an asshole”. I laughed.

Its all good though. He must have been having a bad day because our friend who was about a half hour behind us was asked if he had any liqueur and he said said yes he had a box of wine. The guy called him and alcoholic and asked him why he needed so much alcohol for just two nights. It was one of them boxes and it was un-open. he asked what he should have done opened up at home and dump some of it out so he had the appropriate amount. the border agent replied “no then I would have to bust you for an open container”. So the guy was simply having bad day and was a jerk.

usually we have great experiences with border patrol both ways. We go through the small crossings and the people are professional but friendly.

Wendell Hanks said:

‘Nothing more needs to be said’ - Tac

There is more. Tac knows of what he speaks. His living in Oregon, Canada, and also in homeland England, gives him a perspective many of us don’t have nor will have. Canada, in my opinion, does not promote a message of endless abundance as I think America has promoted. The outcome is a country that evidences personal care with each resident charged to preserving and protecting the environment. Our travels in Canada show a country managed by its people to remain clean and cared for — now and for the future.

Thanks Tac.

Wendell

Wendall,

I second your comment

happy day…ride the street car for me!

Devon Sinsley said:

Happy Canada Day.

Ah, yea. I used to drive up to Hamilton Ontario to pick up stainless steel. On the way up, they always asked, at the border crossing, if the truck was empty or loaded. Its a flatbed tractor trailer, its kind of self evident weather something is chained to the deck or not. Me, being the jerk I am, I would lean out of the window, and look back at the empty deck and then say, “Ah, its empty.” Don’t do that. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)They aint got no sense of humor. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Some of the Boarder Agents do have a sense of humor. Returning home from ECLSTS 2013 Paul Norton, Doug Matheson and I arrived at the boarder with Paul’s SUV packed to the roof. The back of the rear seat behind the driver (Paul) had been lowered and was occupied by a huge box with more stuff on top of it so it was touching the ceiling. Paul had rolled down the front and rear windows per normal boarder crossing procedure and handed the agent our 3 passports and a list of what we had purchased. The guy peered into the vehicle and asked " Where is the third guy? In the Box? " . Doug who was siting in the rear passenger side seat leaned forward around the box and said high. After a laugh we were waved through.

Though we have experienced the occasional agent having a difficult day generally they a pretty good group doing a challenging job.

Happy Canada Day everyone!

One of the nicest guys I met on this form is from Canada, Ron Spencer. We met several years ago after talking on this site. He and his wife Wendy belong to our club and it’s always a great visit when they come down to the club meetings. Last summer a group of us from the club went up to their house and got to see his railroad.

I had to laugh at Devon’s experience at the border because I did the same thing when we went to see Ron last summer. The guy was a little short but I totally understand. Actually he was more upset at the border agents on the U.S. side because they had just refused entry to the U.S. of 3 different semi trailer rigs that always cross there.

Happy Canada Day everyone.