Large Scale Central

Serious forest fire at Wenatchee WA

A report on BBC television this morning showed an appalling forest fire at Wenatchee in WA.

I believe we have a Forum Member who lives there. I hope he and his folks are safe and that their home has been spared from the conflagration.

This is a bad fire. Not an unusual thing for that area but this one started basically in town and is destroying many many homes. I fear it is only the beginning of a very bad fire year in the North West.

I grew up in Wenatchee, and my daughter still lives there. So far, the fire has not threatened her home. Its a grass fire, mostly, which can be just as bad, especially when the wild grass comes close to your home, and you haven’t taken any mitigation efforts.

Fire is a beautifully wicked thing.

Trains Magazine News online reported yesterday that the Stevens Pass BNSF line is closed and Stampede Pass and the Columbia Gorge line is being used instead. The railway was uncertain as to when it could be re-opened.

Myron

Here is the railroad tie in. The ties on the mainline burned. Traffic is being diverted south along the old SP&S/NP line to Vancouver, then north to Seattle.

Steve, so I guess that section of track didn’t have the concrete ties then.

Looks like they got it beat. Mopping up. 24 homes lost. That is sad.

Quite sure that they didn’t, David.

The fire is only 10% contained, but is no longer spreading. that could change with the wind, though.

“and you haven’t taken any mitigation efforts.”

Aww Steve, it’s been too hot!

One spark and!!!

John

Steve Featherkile said:

…that could change with the wind, though.

Gee, sounds like my Ex.

The little three year old girl is my grand daughter’s best friend.

Just got an update from my daughter. The fire melted the rail on the BNSF mainline west of Wenatchee, in addition to burning the ties. Wow!

Ok damn that’s hot

Steve Featherkile said:

Just got an update from my daughter. The fire melted the rail on the BNSF mainline west of Wenatchee, in addition to burning the ties. Wow!

MOW must have already fixed it, because I read/heard that #7 & #8 will be going to Wenatchee today… That’s a hot fire. The article I read mentioned our wonderful “Super 8” motel that we used to stay in… One of the rails I know lives about 5 miles away from the fire line.

Speaking of RR’s and fires,

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/news/bnsf-helps-suppress-spokane-wildfire.html