Large Scale Central

Any reviews: EMMA?

I saw Accucraft’s super-sized 0-4-0 EMMA at the Big Train Show. I am interested simply because it is really large. I have a Ruby I built from a kit - it is fussy to calibrate but still got me interested in further steam ownership.

Has anyone used an EMMA and what are its qualities?

Thanks,

Wendell

I run my friends Emma all the time, its one of the few he has with RC control. I am the “keeper of the flame” for all his engines as he isnt able to run them on his own anymore. Its an excellent running, powerfull engine, full valve gear between the frames, best described as inside frame Walscherts but ment to simulate stephensons valve motion. Plenty of room in the cab for big fingers to manual control or put RC control in. I feel its one of Accucrafts better values on the market. It can be top heavy if you have tight curves, but with RC control, I manage to run it just fine on my LGB R1 curves. If you get one, invest in a Summerlands Chuff Pipe, makes her so much more real sounding. I would spring for the adjustable version as the preset chuff can get a tad loud and annoying at the indoor steam ups we attend with that engine. Mike

Hi Wendell,

I have owned three of them that I converted to various new configurations, Forney 0-4-4- and two variations of plantation 0-4-2s.

I did get one EMMA that had really bad valve events that I could not figure out, and neither could Cliff at Accucraft and he promptly replaced it with a new unit. They do stand behind what they sell.

They generate steam well and run just as well. I would replace the throttle valve with a Train Department unit for about $20 and you get much improved throttle control.

Mike McCormack

mocrownsteam

Hudson, Massachusetts

I haven’t heard anything bad about them. The ones I have seen steaming ran nice. I know Eric Shade did a Forny conversion to his. Im sure he will will respond to this thread. Also check Steam In The Garden Vol. 23, No. 4; Issue 128; July/August 2013. I believe their is a review in that issue.

Thanks for the input.

I’ll check the Steam in The Garden review for further information.

I modified the heck out of my Emma! She runs well and pulls a quite respectable train. She is radio controlled and quite responsive. The large size gives good inertia for realistic running.

Eric-

Thanks for the pix. Nice conversion! My guess is your entire layout operation is in 2’ narrow gauge (7/8ths?). The large scale really interests me. With you, was it a “conversion” to the large sized cars and loco? If so, were there any problems with a track pattern previously used for the range of “G” scales? I ask this as I have some fairly sharp curves and 3% grades which makes it difficult for steam without radio control. 7/8ths would work electrically if the track pattern is OK – any cautions you found regarding radius and the larger rolling stock?

Other photos are appreciated - especially showing the contrast of 2’ vs. the standard “G” sizes. Maybe “Big” is better!

Thanks,

Wendell

Wendell, You will find that out of the box the locos run very well and for the price you really cant beat. The curves on your RR as long as they are at least 6’ Diameter you are OK. The 3% grade will be a rough one to overcome, you may need to adjust it a little to get down or use RC which I can help with. There is no commercial RTR rolling stock in 7/8ths yet, my first RTR rolling stock is a batch of side tipper and skip wagons but those are more geared to the UK industrial type. You can build some kits from what I offer as there are a few that will look good behind and are small 2 axle cars, OR you can take a shot at building some larger cars. Either route I have the needed wheels to build also.

Most US 2’ gauge was in Maine but there was other 2’ stuff throughout the US also, mostly not as well known except the Gilpin and the Mt Gretna. For building a larger car with trucks I have truck kits available, the compact archbar is your best bet for smaller type cars to match the Emma. Can get away building a small 18’-20’ car with these trucks and look good. It depends on what your interest is though. Eric is straight up Maine only so you wont see anything small, just look at the coaches, remember these get real long real fast in scale, upwards of 40"+

If your serious about an Emma or even just have questions, PM me or see the website they are available and I’ll take care of ya.

Wendell–

above are two of my engines, the foreground is my 1:20 scale Maine Forney ( think LGB or Bachman Forneys ) in the background is my 7/8th scale Emma/Forney which would be a smaller engine than the 1:20 say 12 ton vs 18.

As I was already doing live steam my track was basically level so no change needed there, but I did relay my reverse loops with a larger radius and Build a larger covered bridge. the old bridges would fit an Accucraft K-27 and Emma no problem but not 7/8 scale coaches and box cars. the larger radius was good all around and I probably would have enjoyed it even with my 1:20 stuff Large radius looks good!

What a great pic there, Eric! I really must get down to Maine someday and annoy you with a visit. Trouble is, it’s a long ways from UK and a long ways from Eugene OR, although not too far from Belleville ON.

You bin warned.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

How tall are they?

Jerry, mine measures 7 1\2" from the rail to the top of the smoke stack.

Tac you would be most welcome to stop in! Any one else too! I do not need much persuasion to pull out an engine and some cars, or bring your own!

Wishes Eric would do conversions for others! I love all the wood work on your converted Emma! My friend and I share an Emma and I know he wants a Forney, just cant afford to shell out what the future one from Accucraft will go for. Our Emma already has RC in it, along with a chuff pipe. Mike

Eric: Have followed what you have accomplished - Grand!! I don’t remember if I ever saw any articles about the Emma / forney conversion. Am interested in how the Emma frame was extended for the tank and the trucks. This makes a close approximation of the early Hinkley/Portland forneys which we 2 foot addicts love so much. I have also been gathering parts for a mogul or prarie for the future. Thanks for your contributions to 2 foot modeling.

Talk soon

Dick w

Dang Wendell you got yourself a real nice review for free and probably only on LSC .

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I have helped others with conversions and that is good fun…Jim built this beauty seen next to mine the other day…

I made some parts for him and offered advice, he did all the heavy lifting

I wrote up the project as I did it on the 7/8th scale forum lots of detail and fodder for other projects.

Thanks Eric - I thought that I had seen it somewhere lately. Your line definitely mirrors the Maine 2 footers - a delight. See you next year

Talk soon

Dick w

Quoting David Russell:

“Dang Wendell you got yourself a real nice review for free and probably only on LSC .”

David is right. Our LS Central readers are most helpful in offering how-to data as well as product assessment. Big thank you to all. I appreciate the assessment and offers for help. I’m more than tempted to be active with live steam as I have level track now set. The 7/8ths really appeals to me because of the large size. Now, to determine how often I’ll run a EMMA compared to my fussy Ruby. Hmmmm.

Thanks,

Wendell

Wendell, Emma is far from fussy. I to have owned one of the Ruby varients and it was very fussy compared to Emma. With Emma’s mass comes the inertia of a real engine, she will drift and coast like a real locomotive when you close the throttle. I run my shared Emma around R1 curves for the moment as I transition to R2. Just have to go slow, just like the prototype would have around super tight curves. RC really helps out if your line isnt waist high were you can manualy control the engine. Running Emmas at the RLD open house with RC was way more enjoyable than the manualy controled Fairymead I also have. She is also much less picky of rough track. Fairymead has a narrower more fine scale wheel tread, where as my Emma is wider and more tollerant of slight gauge variations. Robby had some of those issues with his new raised layout last fall. Fairymead would derail but Emma didn’t care. Eric, your work constantly amazes me. My roots are in Maine and I still have family there around the Stowe area. So the attraction and pull of Maine 2 footers is strong. I just lack the modeling skills to pull off a Forney conversion that I would be happy with. So I will continute to drool over the pics of your Emma conversion. Having my Emma converted would really get me out of the arm chair to rebuild my line to handle her! Mike

Hint. Hint …