Large Scale Central

R/C decisions. What do you think?

Hi guys:

Seeking opinions/recommendations. I’ve got two engines in need of R/C – battery power. The first is an early Bachmann two-truck Shay with a Phoenix Big Sound unit. I love it and now its time to convert it to battery. The second is a Bachmann Connie with a BBT motor and gear box, Phoenix P5, and an RSC remote control unit (TX-24, RX-8 and Elite-3). The RX-8 receiver has finally given out on me. I’ve checked with the RSC America. They may have a replacement for me but it’s a long shot. RSC Australia does not have a replacement unfortunately. Sooo – its time to update the system.

I like having a dedicated transmitter for each engine. I don’t use a lot of the higher level functions available on some of the RC systems. I use forward, reverse (duh!), directional lighting, smoke, bell, whistle, emergency stop. Good range is important.

I am thinking of either the new RSC Railinx 900 system or the Airwire T-5000 system. Both must be backward compatible to the Phoenix sound systems.

Final thought, probably 90% of my club members use Airwire T-5000 systems so I’ve got a lot of support available. No one runs RCS systems or Crest systems, and only one guy runs a Locolinc system. I am leaning toward the Airwire system but thought I would solicit some opinions and advice.

Thanks!

I use Airwire in two of my locomotives, and am quite satisfied with the product. If most of your friends use Airwire, it makes sense to me to use it, too.

Airwire offers the G-3 decoder which should work in the older Bachmans that don’t have the plug-n-play setup. RCS appears to offer only PNP decoders at this point. That would be another reason to go with Airwire.

Hi Joe, I think it is time we talk. I have been selling and installing RCS now RailLinx for over 20 years and would like to help you. I can offer a used RX-8 but as you stated they are no longer made so now is a good time to upgrade. Take advantage of my trade-in offer.

The RailLinx products are modular in design. The 10 amp comes both as a PnP and flat board. In fact you can convert it yourself. For your Bachmann Shay and the Connie all you need is the 6 amp board. Also you can upgrade the transceiver later to the new 2.4Ghz Android APP with frequency hopping without changing the system.

There is one defining fact why you should stay with the RailLinx products. You will never have radio interference with the other members AirWire. We operate on all 16 channels above AirWire not just 8 with G3 board. Also, we do not have to reduce power like CVP recommends in the user guide when you have multiple operators. See page one of the users guide under power level adjustment.

Off line we can do a more detailed review of what you want. Please give me a call or send an email.

Don 603-321-1347

[email protected]

I thought the G3 operated on 17 channels. Also, i’ve never had turn down the power of my controller when operating with other airwire users. Joe, talk to your friends and try their stuff. See what you like, look at price functionality and service and then make a choice.

Terry

I thought the G3 operated on 17 channels. Also, i’ve never had turn down the power of my controller when operating with other airwire users. Joe, talk to your friends and try their stuff. See what you like, look at price functionality and service and then make a choice.

Terry

Guys, it is easy to get confused. The FR1300 is limited to the first 8 channels. The new drop ins are limited to the next 8 channels. See T5000 user guide.

RF1300 users are restricted to the first 8 frequencies from 0 to 7. T9000 and T5000 throttle users can all 17 frequencies. Refer to page 5 of the G3 manual to activate the next 8 frequencies on the T9000.

My statement about RailLinx frequencies is still correct.

Sorry for the confusion. Don

Greetings Joe…first of all my opine is that RC/Battery is the way to go…but of course that’s just my opine. I don’t want to hassle with track cleaning other than sweeping up the occasional pine needles from the rails.

With that said all my engines are now RC/Battery. I have RailLinx 900 installed in 3 engines; an older generation in my Bachmann Consolidation and the newer in my Bachmann 3-truck shay and a Hartland Disney Lille Belle. I’ve installed everything myself with the great help of TOC. My only issue is having to send back the newer transmitter because of a coding issue. Thus far the customer service by both TOC and RCS America has been stellar and I have no complaints.

My son has a Bachmann Thomas, Percy, and James all of which are using the RCS equipment from Australia. I’m also very happy with this equipment. And although was my first experience with RC/Battery the equipment has run flawlessly.

Richard

Hey Don, I sent you an email.

Joe

My first question back from the “what’s the best DCC/sound system/rc/track/locomotive” question is “What are your requirements”.

So, you listed them, you need basic controls, and also sound.

It makes it a bit simpler, if you only need basic stuff AND you are happy with the sound boards available, then the RCS-type stuff will be fine. What always concerns me when people make this choice, is the very few “quality” sound boards available, i.e. in my opinion, only Phoenix.

If you are doing just a few locos, cost is really not an object.

So, if the sound boards you want are available, I’d go the “easy way”.

But, you should also consider if you want to be compatible with your local club, it’s worth considering.

Regards, Greg

I am a fan of the Airwire system, but it wasnt in the cards budget wise. So for now I run the old Locolinc system. Not totaly satisfied with it, need to play with the slow speed adjustment as the motors in my Aristo FA-1 hum at slower speeds and get just a tad hot. I havent tried one of the recievers in my LGB DRGW #50 I just swapped my friend for. It has a critter control in it right now, but I would like RC so I can switch out my industies with it. Good luck on your updates. Mike

The Airwire G3 operates on frequencies 0-16 for a total of 17. The new drop-in’s also have that capability. Frequencies can be changed from the transmitter. No need for physical access to the decoder.

Hi guys:

I thought I would describe my RCS America customer service experience in diagnosing and repairing my old R/C system. In a word, “outstanding”. Dave Goodson (Northwest RCS) offered to diagnose the TX-24 transmitter and RX-8 receiver for free. He was able to swap out a dead board in the RX-8 for a good one for the cost of the part only. Once installed, I could not get it to work consistently. Don Sweet (RCS of New England) helped me trouble shoot and provided me with written re-setup instructions. They worked! So for a total cost of $43 I am back up and running. Don followed up with me on his own initiative. I didn’t have to reach out to him.

The only stumble was with the rep at RCS America headquarters. He was going to test a possible replacement receiver for me and let me know if it would work for my application. He never followed up.

In summary, as long as Dave and Don are associated with RCS America you are in very good hands. Its hard to imagine the competition’s customer service being better.

Hi Joe, Dave and I are glad we could help. Now we need to have a word with that guy at RCS America!

Have fun running trains.

Don

The Shay was up next for battery R/C conversion. I picked it up today and the front truck fell off! This is an early model Shay and the trucks have been deteriorating for some time. Really bad now. Looks like I’ll need to replace them before moving forward. Around $205 plus shipping. Bummer…

Joe - glad to hear of your positive experience with Dave Goodsen and RCS America. I haven’t worked with Don but can imagine he’s a good guy also. I had an issue with my newest RCS transceiver and Rick Isard at RCS America was great. He contacted me originally via email at the behest of Dave on an evening a few weeks ago followed by a phone call the next day. We worked for some time trying to the get the piece of equipment to work and couldn’t. I sent it off to him for either repair or replacement that day and received a new receiver by the Monday the following week. Very appreciative of the quick turnaround.

Dave has been great with all the engines I’ve converted since getting into this hobby. He makes his living doing this kind of stuff but he hasn’t made a dime off me with actual conversion. He’s been indispensable with the many phone calls and emails back and forth with how to do things. For that I’m truly grateful. I also thank him for his patience with me, who when beginning this couldn’t solder a thing. I’m pretty good at it now.

So good luck with the rest of your conversion projects.

Richard

Joe:

I have the second run, the 6 screw trucks, and needed to replace them as the plastic deteriorated. I bought my replacements from Reindeer Pass since at the time they were the lowest price and the service was excellent.

One thing that I didn’t initially do when I converted to battery was to fully disable the track pick-up contacts and direct wire the motors to the board of my RailBoss 4. Not doing so caused a problem when one of the trucks lost momentary continuity through the spring contacts and caused a blown fuse. I have since done the direct wiring, following George Schreyer’s Shay Power Contacts and Isolating The Shay Motors tips and have had not problems since.

You might consider this at the same time that you have everything torn apart.