Large Scale Central

Diving into a Hartland Loco

Has anyone converted a Hartland loco to RC/Battery? I’ve just begun work on my Lilly Belle that has been sitting in a case on my piano for several years and am now getting around to converting it into something I can run on special occasions.

I’m at the point where the cab and boiler are removed and I have the chassis with the weight still on it…I’m finding it difficult to find the screws to remove the motor to get to the screw that holds the weight on. I see screws behind the wheels but I’m not sure if that is direction I should be going…

Thanks,

Richard

From, their website…

“For Parts and Service, Please contact our Parts and Service Department at: 402-571-2933 or fax. 402-573-7274.
Call for hours.”

I’d give them a call.

I don’t know about the Belle, but when opened the smoke box on my Hartland low rider engine to disconnect the lights from the motor and pick-ups (so that I could run the lights and cut the motor), IIRC the motor seemed to be “hard wired” into the wheel pick-ups somehow such that I could not easily break their connection to pull out the lighting separate.

(http://largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/fd/c4/01/1c23a_9ac4.JPG?c=df69)

(http://largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/00/c5/01/1c23c_6124.JPG?c=255b)

There was a plastic box that when unscrewed allowed the motor box to pop out. I’ve disconnected the power leads going to the tender trucks. So I can now plan how I’m going to route the wiring.

My only issue is I like everything in the loco and tender, but the there is not much room for all of it. I guess I’ll have to place the battery in the trail car. Ultimately I’m ok because I plan to convert and repaint my Bachmann coaches to look like the original Disneyland and Santa Fe coaches.

I’ve just successfully completed a Bachmann 3-truck shay with the generous of help of TOC…That was pretty complicated for this novice electrician. So now that I’m “in” the rest should fall into place rather easily.

Richard