Large Scale Central

Sound and Chuff

I have seen a lot of large scale steamers that you can tell the owner put a lot of time in paint and detail but when it comes to sound most just clap in a phoenix and call it good. Then the model runs you hear a chuff maybe once a rotation or even once every 2 rotations of the drivers, I even noticed this with a couple of the amazing steam models running on the Del Oro. Why work so hard on a great looking model but overlook something as simple as the correct chuff? Best way is to use the chuff sensor and 4 of the tiny rare earth magnets on a driver. I know some models have problems due to size but the chuff can still be worked out through programming. Believe me, a locomotive out of sync is more noticeable than you think.

My Bachmann K-27, with Phoenix sound chuffs okay to my eare. I guess I just don’t care whether the chuffs are correct or not. I might not even know the difference. It’s a lot better than muttering “choo choo” to yourself while your non-sound loco makes its way around the track …

Bob,

I’m with Andrew. Not every model railroader cares like you obviously do. Most are satisfied if it makes any sounds at all! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I guess your right. I just pick up on those things easy. My N scale GS-4 has sound and its drives me nuts when it gets out of sync, which is most of the time. When guests where over for the Tour last week more than one pointed out the chuff sync and because it was correct it added so much to the overall sound effect. Like I said, people do notice, they may not say anything but they notice.

Bob, I can hear your pain. As an installer I ask my customers what they know about sounds and tweak the loco to their liking. I just spent two hours on an Aristo Craft C-16 installing the Phoenix and positioning the small magnets to get good chuffing. These are very thin axles so I glue the magnets on the back of the tender wheels. Getting as much space apart as possible.

I try to offer an enhanced experience for each customer. I do use the Bachmann chuff triggers as they provide a good balance.

When I do clinics I ask the group who are scale operators and who just likes to run trains in the garden. Helps keep the discussion more appealing.

Have fun running trains.

Don Sweet

RCS of NE

Many, ok, most, of the sound equipped locos I have seen do 2 chuffs per revolution instead of the proper 4 chuffs. The thing I found, when I tried to set up a Sierra board for 4 chuffs, was that at any reasonable speed, the Sierra got sort of confused and quit chuffing altogether. Taking out 2 of the magnets and going back to 2 chuffs per revolution the Sierra would work fine. I do not have a Pheonix board, so I can’t say if it would have been confused in the same application.

David Maynard said:

Many, ok, most, of the sound equipped locos I have seen do 2 chuffs per revolution instead of the proper 4 chuffs. The thing I found, when I tried to set up a Sierra board for 4 chuffs, was that at any reasonable speed, the Sierra got sort of confused and quit chuffing altogether. Taking out 2 of the magnets and going back to 2 chuffs per revolution the Sierra would work fine. I do not have a Pheonix board, so I can’t say if it would have been confused in the same application.

No, the Phoenix has a few ways to get around the cuff confusion. It also can be programmed to fill in the blanks if your using 2 magnets.

At first even with the Phoenix I had some odd cuffs but found out that I had the sensor off a little. I also have a huge model to play with and finding room for all that stuff is easy but the install guys like Don are masters at sound install and know tricks for even the smallest models

The new QSI software “shortens” the chuffs at higher speeds so they do not run together, so you can have your proper 4 chuffs per revolution.

I like the software approach, and you can dial the QSI in really well.

I agree, I like 4 chuffs per revolution

(for anyone running pre-Titan software or hardware, it’s much improved, so you can leave comments out about old stuff)

Greg