Large Scale Central

Immodest Proposal

Introduction: This year’s RR Days (Sat. and Sunday) in Fullerton, California, drew over 32,000 people. At least 30% of that amount were children engaged in the 15 modular H0-0-S-N- and “G” gauge train layouts, and got their picture taken touring the cab in the new diesel, steamer, and Disney loco. The number of women attending was a close split with the men - it was clearly a family event. Over the day on Saturday, I had over 2,000 have their picture taken in the BSNF diesel cab - at least 500 were children.

WHY so many kids and families? No admission charge. None. Zero. The financial risk of taking children to the train show was removed by removing the cost to the sheparding parent. The result was the family came. Why spend money on an event that your child may start complaining about within ten minutes of arrival? So dad goes it alone to the train show. The city recognizes the business value of the show - restaurants were full - and a public setting is used at the train station.

What you see now: The BIG Train show has fewer children - what of other entrance ticket shows?

Experiment: For the BI**G Train Show upcoming in Southern California, offer one adult ticket free if the child is accompanied by an adult . The child would be under 15. Influencing post-fifteen year olds to get off their computer/Ipad/game devices to join dad or mom in a new hobby is unlikely.

Hmm. Interesting proposal.

Wendell Hanks said:

Experiment: For the BI**G Train Show upcoming in Southern California, offer one adult ticket free if the child is accompanied by an adult . The child would be under 15.

Then we eat them? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ah, yes, only the quick wit of Todd Brody connected the “Immodest Proposal” to classic literature!

Very sharp.

Wendell

Yes, but I do not think that many show promoters are looking at the hobby the way we do. They are in it for the money. I am not saying that is a bad thing, its just a different motivation. We want the hobby to be around forever, they want to make a buck today.

Attendance would drop?

Attendance might increase because of the family expectation! Consider the promotion:

All children are free if they bring an adult to the show!

The RR Days incredible attendance is because families came - not just dad alone to see the trains. Not charging to get into the show released money for the vendors selling train related products.

Wendell I see your point. But I can see where the promoters of the show would not see your point. And vendors making money puts no money in the promoters pockets most of the time. They sell a spot and they do not care if the spot makes money or not.

I think you have a good idea. I just don’t see the promoters running with it.

Yeah, what David said. Promoters, particularly the BTS, are business people, they make their money by the number of heads thru the door. For the GTS, those big halls cost an arm and a leg to book. The more vendors paying for stalls and the number of attendees thru the door is how they pay the bills. The BTS is different as Ontario C C folks own it, but to them its purely a business. Their goal has nothing to do with promoting the hobby, its about making a buck for the shareholders and it’s one show on one weekend of 52 different weekend events. They have no investment in the hobby persay, beyond making a profit while putting on a show that the visitors can enjoy and the vendors can make some money in the process. I would think some sort of “kids are free” promo might be possible, at the show if you see the organizer Angela, pitch it.

Maybe if you get Fullerton to Sponsor the free adults … Somebody must kick in to cover expenses, by Golly that’s capitalism!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)

I also think society has changed. Today parents are too busy shuffling their kids from one activity to the next. I doubt money is a huge factor. If parents can afford a few hundred dollars to sign their kids up for baseball etc… then a small fee for a train show is not a big deal. Im parent with young kids and see it first hand with their friends.

For the curious: The features of RR Days that purposefully attracts families:

1 - The City of Fullerton has agreed a city-owned parking area next to the Fullerton RR station is the location for the event. Since the event is a railroad event, this location is ideal. Two no-charge four-level parking lots are nearby so parking is not an issue. Again, this means there is NO COST to try out the event with your whole family. We made it clear the event is FREE to attend in the promotion. Because of that feature, businesses were encouraging the full color posters be put in their windows and the big banner across the main street. Once you are a NO-Cost effort, businesses and corporations are more than willing to listen – especially knowing that huge numbers of families will be seeing the city. The restaurants (nearly 50 of them) love the event.

2 - The vendors and commercial support groups (Disney, BNSF, AMTRAK, car dealerships, shops, etc.) and with AMTRAK a major financial support, covered the cost of the outdoor tents. Over 60 vendors, sponsors, non-profits, had their booths. Fifteen modular layouts were in operation. The seven food courts along with the Boy Scout pancake sales met food needs.

3 - Again, no charge meant the whole family took the risk of interest at no financial loss. Instead, the entrance money and parking cost was spent on the railroad vendors, model RR supplies, and food. As you know, convention centers hit attendees with $10 parking costs - that means dad pays $20.00 minimum to get in the convention-center event – let alone drive X distance to the center’s location.

4 - Lastly, the station is ideal. AMTRAK has a history train they brought last year - a big hit! BNSF loves the PR and showing off their gigantic diesels, and of course, the fired-up 4-8-4 steamer made the news over and again. Disney brings one of their locos and hosts the lines wanting photos taken in the cab.

So how does it happen? Initially, a group of enthusiasts and RR restoration nuts encouraged the city, contacted the RRs, and interviewed the commercial interests that would benefit. After five years of these yearly shows, overwhelming interest continues to be the response by both attendees, our commercial sponsors, and railroad management. AMTRAK had a deal Kids ride free with parents to the show from RR stations in between Los Angeles and San Diego!

So that’s the premise behind the BIG TRAIN SHOW, here in So.Calif., trying out Dad or Mom is FREE if their kids bring a parent to the show.

Wendell thats great. Now, if Am-track, or somebody with deep pockets, would pay for the other shows, they could be free too.

Free is a misnomer. There is always a cost, its just a question of who pays the cost.