Large Scale Central

Lumber Jack - Help!

So my first attempt at Live Steam is off to a slow start.

Good news is thanks to the help of Ron T we know the locomotive fires up, builds pressure and does run, however during its initial run it stopped and appeared that the pistons on the motor block may have been hitting the motor mounting plate (as they were during assembly, and why I had to modify the mounting plate)

Had the chance tonight and took the motor out of the locomotive, checked it again and sure enough it appeared that maybe it was just slightly touching the plate which would have been enough to stop the engine.

Unscrewed the motor block from the plate and found the motor not attached to anything was still locking up after about 3/4 rotation.

After scratching my head for a few minutes and just seconds before I was going to toss it in a box and forget about it I noticed that one of the nuts on one piston had backed out…(see pic)

This is what was stopping the piston from rotating…

I had never touched these during assembly because this came assembled…

So my question is, how much do I tighten these? should I put some blue Loctite on them or just get the nut snug?

Really wish I would have noticed this BEFORE pulling half the locomotive apart to get the motor out!

Yup that brings back some mems. play with it. I had the same problem. Its just been awhile. I ran mine today. it ran great. You have to play around with it. I wish I had bought mine built up and not as a kit. but it is a nice running engine when you get the bugs worked out.

I would just finger tighten it then using a wrench tighten a hair more. See how that works. One thing abut live steam you have to check all the nuts etc… after the first few runs. I wouldn’t use loc tight unless it keeps coming loose. Just make sure the eccentric looking things are 90 degrees from each other. It looks a tad off but it could be the picture.

Ihad trouble with my piston hitting the mounting plate. I had to file it some. The nice thing is you will learn how it works and how to fix. The initial frustrations can be an advantage

I just need to stick with electric or battery powered trains…

I put the motor assembly back in, set all the wheels / drive rods & gears so they all operate properly… then the frustration started.

Keep in mind, this engine did fire up previously…

Filled the oil tank, filled the water tank (took out 30cc) took the engine outside to fill the gas and that’s where the fun ended.

The quick fill adapter that attaches to the fuel can no longer stops the fuel from coming out, it just sprays all over the place. Ron can attest to this fitting not working correctly when I was at his house as the gas kept leaking out then also… but now it just sprays out from the tip and everywhere…

Still managed to get the tank filled so next was the attempt at firing it up.

Turned the oil on slightly and turned the gas on… I could hear gas flowing so I put a flame near the stack, heard the pop and figured I was going to be good to go…

Well, about 15 seconds and there was no sound of the engine still being fired… shut the gas valve off, made sure there really was gas in the fuel tank (it seemed to be full), turned the gas valve back on and could only slightly hear gas flowing…

Tried lighting it again and nothing…

Shut the gas valve off again and this time even with the gas valve off I could still hear gas seeping out from some where…

Checked the fuel filler on top of the tank and that was tight, still seeping gas from somewhere and not sure from where.

So before I just smashed it with a hammer, I emptied the gas tank, emptied the water from the boiler and put it on a shelf where it will most likely remain.

I just don’t have the patience for this stuff, I get stressed way to easily.

Vinny, send back the gas adapter to Jay. Fill the gas up a little and use some soapy water and a small paint brush to soke all the fittings. If it bubbles you need to tighten the fittings. Sounds like you did not get the gas tank full. get a new adapter first. then go from there. don’t(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif) give up yet. And make sure you dont block the air flow. you have an adjustment ring. Oh and maybe you have a clogged jet, Give me a call if you want more info.

Do what most of us with Regner loco do, junk that Regner-only gas valve and get the generic filler valve from the usual well-known dealer here. It makes the difference between having a shelf-queen that only YOU can use because of the unique filler, or a runner that will take yours and anybody else’s gas if needed.

Regner here in my neck of the woods have truly gone down the pan recently - their customer service has gone from merely ‘casual’ to ‘pretty dire’ - I’m still waiting four months later for a handwheel…

Sure do miss the old man - he’d take a piece off a loco at a show to help you out.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

It has the aftermarket gas filler valve from said vendor…

Vin the valve that tac mentioned is the bronson. Im pretty sure you did get that. One thing I have fond when switching the bronson valve to the Regner tank is you dont get that splash telling you its full. Plus they leak more when filling. This occurs with the tanks where the filler valves stick up that inch or so from the main tank. My friend cuts that off for me and modifies it so it works like the accucraft tanks.

Shawn, I think hes talking about the gas adapter that goes on the gas can.

Regners sometimes need some fiddling to get them to run thier best, espicaly kit built that do not have the extra running in thats done at the factory. I was told 12-15 runs to get the cylinders bedded in on the Lumberjack I built for my friend. I am looking for my own Lumberjack here soon. If not that engine one of the other easy line engines. Been trying to get him to sell my his Lumberjack, I care take all his steamers as he is no longer able to run them on his own, even if the line is elevated. Most of his I cannot run on my little line though. Hopefully you can get yours sorted out, but if you decided to send her down the road before you take that hammer to it, let me know. I do have 2 LGB engines that are converted to battery that I am sending down the road to convert to just live steam locomotion. Good luck! Mike

Vincent D’Agostino said:

I just need to stick with electric or battery powered trains…

I put the motor assembly back in, set all the wheels / drive rods & gears so they all operate properly… then the frustration started.

Keep in mind, this engine did fire up previously…

Filled the oil tank, filled the water tank (took out 30cc) took the engine outside to fill the gas and that’s where the fun ended.

The quick fill adapter that attaches to the fuel can no longer stops the fuel from coming out, it just sprays all over the place. Ron can attest to this fitting not working correctly when I was at his house as the gas kept leaking out then also… but now it just sprays out from the tip and everywhere…

The adapter for the can has a Oring and that should be lubricated with a drop of oil. Also a drop on the top of the adapter before you screw on the 3" adapter. There is a plunger and a Oring seal, if that’s dry it will leak, lubricate and depress the plunger from the top.

Still managed to get the tank filled so next was the attempt at firing it up.

Turned the oil on slightly and turned the gas on… I could hear gas flowing so I put a flame near the stack, heard the pop and figured I was going to be good to go…

The oil valve should not be closed, its set to a point usually open one turn to start and adjust as you notice the oil consumption. No less then 1/2 turn open even as that closes the supply total. 3/4 turn open is somewhat average once the loco it run in.

Well, about 15 seconds and there was no sound of the engine still being fired… shut the gas valve off, made sure there really was gas in the fuel tank (it seemed to be full), turned the gas valve back on and could only slightly hear gas flowing…

When you first fill the loco, you need to bleed off the liquid in the tank when full, so you open the valve and no not light, listen to the gas hissing and spitting, once its a smooth hiss then its just vapor. Close the valve and blow down the stack to clear the gas. Reopen and light.

Tried lighting it again and nothing…

Shut the gas valve off again and this time even with the gas valve off I could still hear gas seeping out from some where…

Checked the fuel filler on top of the tank and that was tight, still seeping gas from somewhere and not sure from where.

Check the valve itself, there is a packing nut and also the valve wheel can loosen on the stem if overturned. Also check your 2 nuts for the gas pipe.

So before I just smashed it with a hammer, I emptied the gas tank, emptied the water from the boiler and put it on a shelf where it will most likely remain.

I just don’t have the patience for this stuff, I get stressed way to easily.

Don’t use Loctite on the motor parts, there is a Teflon packing in there, if the nut is loose when you finger tighten and snug up with a wrench maybe 1/4 turn you need more packing, unscrew the nut and slide back a small string of Teflon tape twisted into a string then wrap around the shaft 2-3 times and re install the nut.

Live steam had never been a simple set it on the track and forget it hobby. It takes patience and time to tweak and set things and constant monitoring when running. Its a hands on.

BTW - If I don’t get a call if you run into a problem or trouble I don’t know you are having any issues.

Vincent sent me his Lumberjack and I was able to get it running for him. Ended up being a clogged jet and gas line. I also had to straighten out a sharp bend in the gas line that was restricting gas flow. Now it runs smooth.

YAY!

Result.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Awsome, great save Shawn!

Jason Kovac said:

BTW - If I don’t get a call if you run into a problem or trouble I don’t know you are having any issues.

I had no intentions on trying to fix it myself which is why I did not call.

I figured sooner or later I would send it to Shawn, or possibly meet up with other live steamers in my area.

Not a big deal, I have plenty of locomotives to play with while this was not operational.

Looking forward to picking it up at Shawns house in a few weeks, hopefully I will be able to run it on my own!