Large Scale Central

Heavyweight vs. Lightweight Passenger Consist

Question: Was it common to see Heavyweight (non-streamlined) and Lightweight (streamlined) equipment used simultaneously?

I operate a B&O passenger consist of 3 lightweight coach cars, 1 Strata Dome car, and 1 Observation car manufactured by LGB. LGB never produced a lightweight baggage-dormitory coach or a dining car. Aristocraft offers a heavyweight baggage-dormitory coach and heavyweight dining car. I was wondering if it would be incorrect to run the aforementioned heavyweight and lightweight cars together on the same train? Would the heavyweight Aristocraft 1/29 scale contrast too greatly with the LGB 1/22.5 scale lightweights?

LGB

Aristocraft

It was fairly common, especially on branch lines, to mix the two. If they look good together, I’d say, go for it. Even on the crack, mainline trains, during the busy holiday seasons, they’d plug in a heavyweight car or two, if necessary, to meet the need.

I think you often saw older heavyweight baggage or mail cars on a streamliner also.

Greg

It was very common to see heavyweight and lightweight/smoothside together, especially on the B&O. The B&O never bought any smoothside RPO’s nor any smothside baggage until the very end of passenger service. The B&O got a smoothside baggage from the Missouri Pacific and the CNW (?I think?). Some heavyweights got welded sides.

Ed Halo

After doing much research, I discovered USATrains produced a streamlined lightweight RPO (Railroad Post Office) car for the B&O (product # R31050) that I will be adding to my B&O passenger train. Fingers crossed that it blends seamlessly with my B&O F7 and passenger car series produced by LGB. I may have to purchase a heavyweight baggage car since I have been unable to find any streamline lightweight baggage car in any G-scale product lines. Thanks for all the feedback! Pictures to follow.

Even today, on Via Rail you will often find the old (Rebuilt and well maintained) Bud fluted side equipment, mixed in with the LRC cars in the Eastern region.

The Canadian is all Bud equipped, but has on rare occasions had the odd LRC car in the consist. Often Via, on contract, “Dead Heads” some cars for the Western tourist train, the “Rocky Mountaineer”; East for rebuilding or repainting.

In it’s hay day, when the CPR still ran their large passenger network, their two main transcontinental trains, The Canadian, and The Dominion, they often mixed in lightweight cars, and old heavy weight ones with the Bud stainless steel stock.

As an added way to make your passenger trains more interesting, you can add in “Express Reefers”. These are not available as stock models from any manufacturers, except for the Aristo CN express box car. (Which is no more than a fancy paint job)

Express reefers and box cars differed from common freight cars, by being equipped with high speed trucks, and steam and signal lines besides the standard air lines.

If anyone wants a non expensive express reefer, with little effort; they just have to put B’mann, or LGB passenger trucks on a B’mann or LGB reefer. Repaint it and body mount Kadee couplers…and it looks rather good, even when included with 1:29 equipment, although taking it a step further, and getting rid of the truss rods would make it more believable.

Another car that appeared early on with the end of steam power, was the “Steam Generator car”. They were used when trains were long, and beyond the capacity of the steam generators in the Diesel Electric locomotives. They also allowed unequipped Diesels to work a passenger train.

One of my current never ending projects is to kitbash a pair of old Lionel plug door box cars into steam genny’s. Again, as with the express reefers; I’ll be using the B’man or LGB passenger trucks as simulated high speed trucks under them.

Try some of these ideas…you might even start doing more with you passenger trains, than running in circles. Passenger operations can be rather interesting, if you research how the real railroads did them. Dropping cars, and picking them up, as passenger demand dictated.

Express box cars were used for bulk mail, and magazine shipments, while express reefers were much in demand for fast delivery of fish and exotic produce. They were often dropped at towns along a passenger route. There were also “Silk Cars” catering to the silk trade.

Amtrak a few years ago were known for their special style “Material handling cars” in their trains…

I hope this long note is of some interest to some of you. Please let us know if you are looking into it, and post your ideas for “Passenger Train operations”. I’d be willing to try to get answers for any question on “Head End” equipment. I don’t claim to be an expert, and each railroad had it’s own way of equipping passenger trains over the years.

…Oh, yes…often to speed up operations, an express reefer or box car would be “Hung on” the tail end of a passenger train, and carried the “Marker Lights”. These could quickly be dropped at a city or town, and the local switcher would pick them up/and or put new ones on. This saved the road locomotives from having to sever the steam, air, and signal lines while switching cars out. It also prevented the steam lines from freezing up in deep cold weather.

Fred Mills

…Oh yes, when passenger trains were in their hay days, railroads often “Pooled” equipment, or co-operated in through cars, so just because you model one railroad, there is always a way to justify a “Foreign road” car, in your passenger train.YES…even if you model the B&O…!!

Thanks for the info! Never knew about steam-generating cars. Learn something new everyday!

Jay,

There will be quite a visual difference in size between the LGB cars and a Aristo heavyweight car, not quite so much with the USA cars. I believe there have been in the distance past some photos posted with comparisons. I don’t know if those are still around or not. Probably on one of the other forum sites.

Paul

Yes you are correct and I was going to mention this however I didn’t want to be corrected.

But size and colour differences could also be explained. Different builders, and being built at different times could explain a size difference. And railroads tried somewhat to match their colours, but each batch of paint, bought in different parts of the country, didn’t exactly match. So, unless the size difference is extreme, you can explain it all away.

As soon as the paint hit the sunlight, it started to change color.

David Maynard said:

But size and colour differences could also be explained. Different builders, and being built at different times could explain a size difference. And railroads tried somewhat to match their colours, but each batch of paint, bought in different parts of the country, didn’t exactly match. So, unless the size difference is extreme, you can explain it all away.

Actually there will be a very big size difference between the LGB and the Aristo/USA cars. I have/had all 3 at the same time.

LAO

JJay Briscoe said:

Question: Was it common to see Heavyweight (non-streamlined) and Lightweight (streamlined) equipment used simultaneously?

I operate a B&O passenger consist of 3 lightweight coach cars, 1 Strata Dome car, and 1 Observation car manufactured by LGB. LGB never produced a lightweight baggage-dormitory coach or a dining car. Aristocraft offers a heavyweight baggage-dormitory coach and heavyweight dining car. I was wondering if it would be incorrect to run the aforementioned heavyweight and lightweight cars together on the same train? Would the heavyweight Aristocraft 1/29 scale contrast too greatly with the LGB 1/22.5 scale lightweights?

Jay, The LGB Smoothsides aren’t 1:22.5 closer to 1:26.

LAO

LGB

Aristocraft

Steve Featherkile said:

Steve wouldn’t that be, as soon as the sunlight hit the paint it started to change colour? I mean, to be accurate.

Larry, there may be a big size difference, but is it so much that its objectionable?

David Maynard said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Steve wouldn’t that be, as soon as the sunlight hit the paint it started to change colour? I mean, to be accurate.

Larry, there may be a big size difference, but is it so much that its objectionable?

You say tomato, I say tomato.

I have a bag of rivets for you to count, that should keep you busy for a while. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Steve, one of the reasons I model in narrow gauge, with wooden cars, is so I do not have to count rivets. So there. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

David Maynard said:

Maynard …with the LGB cars compared to the heavyweights I would say yes and you know I go by eye not scale. However it’s all up to the person that is operating the consist to decide.

Rooster, exactly!

Steve Featherkile said:

David Maynard said:

Steve Featherkile said:

You say tomato, I say tomato.

Hmm, Rivit counter, nah. Not when you see my consists. Just stating that there are size differences and that they are significant. I run whatever I want with whatever I want.

I have a bag of rivets for you to count, that should keep you busy for a while. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)