Large Scale Central

REVIEW: Fullerton Railroad Days

This review of May 2 -3 Railroad Days in Fullerton Ca, is fortunately very positive - for us it shows a strong interest in both the real thing and the model hobby. Best guess at this point is 30,000 attendance over the two days. The city officials in Fullerton are VERY pleased.

We had 15 modular layouts in operation, 40 commercial and non-profit booths, along with Disney’s steamer, the giant SF 4-8-4 steamer, a two-week old GE CS 4,400 hp diesel, three cabooses, and AmTrk’s mobil display. I stationed myself up in the cab of the new diesel and said “hello” to Saturday’s 1,800 cab visitors who patiently waited to photograph their kids sitting in the “drivers” seat and ask questions.

What works: 1) NO fee to attend - lot’s of families that likely would not have taken the curiosity risk to attend with their kids if a entrance fee. 2) Plenty of food booths in one section with continuous immaculate clean-up 3) 25 new portable toilets near food area 4) EZ visibility signage to the various displays placed above crowd height 4) Endless volunteers to answer questions 5) Gigantic 1/4 mile tent to house the modular train displays and exhibits in separate covered areas.

Wendell

…well not really, but we would like to see some pictures. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Gooood point, Joe!

Here’s how to see a video taken by the Orange County Register - just came out today, Monday, May 10th.

Use Google and enter: You Tube Full Steam Ahead at Fullerton Railroad Days

Thank you Steve for putting the video access on the thread.

Wendell

Wendell Hanks said:

Gooood point, Joe!

Here’s how to see a video taken by the Orange County Register - just came out today, Monday, May 10th.

Use Google and enter: You Tube Full Steam Ahead at Fullerton Railroad Days

Wendell,

Look at your calendar again. Today is May 4th. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

May the Fourth be with you. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Joe and Steve-

To be fourth right, I was thinking ahead of myself.

Ah. Fullerton. Back when I was there, they could care less about the Santa Fe…or the Uncle Pete…or the SP/PE running out by Bastanchury.

Of course, we could just grab an open door back then and ride to Riverside…

Where did they hold it?

TOC

Dave-

Fullerton RR Days was held at the Fullerton station – obviously, on the east side of the station consuming the parking lot. Since the new parking lot - 4 stories - on the west side of Harbor Blvd., there was OK parking for those attending. The discussion of attendance, in particular with the hundreds of kids with parents (Polit.C. guardians) supports the conclusion that charging for a railroad event – any train show – limits family attendance. As one parent clearly expressed their family was not going to pay money to have a cranky kid, ten minutes into the event, want to go home., For free means no loss financially. Take a chance and intro. the kids into railroads.

Meanwhile, the Ole’ C. has memories of being (living?) in Fullerton.