Large Scale Central

Brass opportunity

A couple months ago, I noticed that K&S Metals announced they’d be discontinuing their non-carded stock for carded, as of this month. A couple weeks ago, I noticed our local hardware store had a “1/3 off” sign on the non-carded K&S. The owner said he’d “work with me” if I got a bunch, meaning, better than 1/3 off.

Today, I noticed that K&S is saying on their site that they’re also discontinuing boxed stock, as of October.

Anyway, if you need brass, your local Ace Hardware or whatever K&S dealer might make you a good deal on the loose stuff.

CJ

Another option is lowes. If you go where the screws etc are kept they have a drawer for hobby stuff. They have some brass etc… stock.

I guess I had better get to ACE this weekend.

Thanks.

I’m going to hit both of them.

Steve, ACE pretty much went away when the big box stores moved in around here. But yea, there are 2 that I know of round here. I am not sure if the smaller one has the brass, but now that you mention it, I will have to look.

Steve Featherkile said:

Who…Shawn and Maynard?

Ha ha! Damn Steve, and I thought you were a pacifist.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Greg

David, the one in McMurray has lots. They even have 3’ lengths of angle and channel. They seem to have just mixed in the carded with the loose though. I’ve never asked about a discount. That Ace is one of the last true hardware stores. I’m probably there once a week.

Please don’t hit me Steve. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Randy, I know. Thing is I don’t know what I will need in the future except some brass rod.

Greg Elmassian said:

Ha ha! Damn Steve, and I thought you were a pacifist.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Greg

Whatever gave you that idea? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

We have two Ace stores close by will check them out. Later RJD

Randy, I just bought all of the 3 foot long, 1/16 brass rod they had at the McMurray one. As for the shorter stuff 2 isles over, its all mixed up and I didn’t see anything in there that I really needed.

Edit to correct the spell checker

I have one of the big metal K&S brass in-store display stands (like the picture) that I got on auction at one time and have depleated most of the brass. But if someone wants the stand, it is theirs for pick-up in Orange County, CA.

David Maynard said:

Randy, I just bought all of the 3 foot long, 1/16 brass rod they had at the McMurray one. As for the shorter stuff 2 isles over, its all mixed up and I didn’t see anything in there that I really needed.

David, just curious, what kind of deal did they give you?

BTW, I should have originally mentioned that my local store is a “Do it Best” affiliate, so I guess it’s not just Ace that carries the K&S.

One more thing, the store owner told me that the rack having the loose 3’ spring steel / music wire was subject to the same deal.

David Russell said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Who…Shawn and Maynard?

OK, so I hit both of 'em, and got “huh?”, from both. So much for pascifism. The LHS never has anything I need, so I guess I’ll have to order online.

Cliff Jennings said:

David Maynard said:

David, just curious, what kind of deal did they give you?

BTW, I should have originally mentioned that my local store is a “Do it Best” affiliate, so I guess it’s not just Ace that carries the K&S.

One more thing, the store owner told me that the rack having the loose 3’ spring steel / music wire was subject to the same deal.

I got no deal on the price, but the one bundle didn’t have a tag on it, so the check out girl just didn’t ring it up. So it worked out to buy 5, get one free.

Glad you found some goodies David. That store is the best. They even have a complete line of numbered drill bits.

Good thread Cliff!

Need to see if myocal Ace is giving deals. They have a pretty decent stock of K&s metal.

Need to see if myocal Ace is giving deals. They have a pretty decent stock of K&s metal.

Randy, yea I like ACE. Its a shame the one like 6 blocks from my house closed several years ago. Then a Lowe’s opened up 4 blocks from my house a year after ACE left. Its kind of dangerous having a Lowe’s that close to home.