Large Scale Central

A new, unorthodox, layout

All,

It’s been awhile since i’ve posted, last I had, it was probably on the topic of the Bear Flatts RR.

I have since moved into a new place and decided that the new layout I was going to build was going to be as maintenance free as possible. With the ideas of a layout built inside and mounted to the bench work, I realize that there is very little maintenance required and there aren’t too many opportunities for derailments. My thoughts were basically to bring a shelf layout, outside. Having a “guy” that i can get unlimited pallets from, I decided that this was going to be my base. With five pallets across, each leveled out with bricks on the corner supports of the pallet. Next I attached aluminum screen across the top to be my water run off control. I laid the track and made sure it was exactly how I wanted it before nailing it into place. The loops as seen, are just landscape stone leveled to keep a practically grade free track plan. I ripped some old 1 x that I had and made some edging for the 3/4 minus fill. Finally I brought in the gravel and laid out some buildings. Here is a start to finish in a nut shell of what was accomplished.

Thank you for looking!

Matt

That looks great and I love the idea using pallets. You could even put a small water feature inside one of the loops.

Cool, nice job…

Great job, Nicely done.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Cool, I like using what space you have. Its a nice small layout

I like it a lot, too.

Bravo Zulu

Well done.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of the kind words. The space I had to use is 10 feet between the house and wall. It’s pretty tight overall still, but fortunately I don’t have anything too tremendously big that I have got to worry about. Even the Bachmann K-27 tracks well around the layout.

Shawn, I’ve thought about the limitless options I have… almost like the pallets can be used as modulars. On the one end with the two sidings, I would like to build a turntable and some more storage tracks within the turnaround loop. And like you said, a water feature would definitely be a nice touch.

There’s small room to do some “switching” ops, so while one of the live steamers is running I’ll mess around with an electric handling the switching duties and setting up different consists.

At the end of the day, what’s proven to be nice so far, is that you can just make a nice seat, kick back (maybe with a cold one) , and watch the trains go around.

Here’s a short compilation of some trains running- before and after completion.

Take care,

Matt

Very nice video Matt Z. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Joe Z

Great video Matt. It really shows how much can be done in with a small layout. You should do an article for garden railway. It proves that anyone can have fun and have a nice layout no matter the size.

Beautiful!

Matt Z said: almost like the pallets can be used as modulars.

At the end of the day, what’s proven to be nice so far, is that you can just make a nice seat, kick back (maybe with a cold one) , and watch the trains go around.

Modulars, that’s an idea. As fun as switching is, yes, just kicking back and letting the trains run is relaxing.
That light stand brings to mind the question of whether the will eventually be permanent lighting attached to the house wall.

Brilliant use of the space available, Matt…no reason why this couldn’t be a great railroad, already off to a great start. Keep us posted.

Nicely done, Matt. A good use of the space.

I am encouraged by this layout. It represents about the same space I will have available and gives me a real visual of what can be accomplished. You state 10 feet wide but how long is the space?

Using the guestimation system that I taught to my Boy Scouts, he has no more than 35 feet invested in length. Could be less, but I doubt that it would be more. Of course I have been wrong before, just ask her. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I don’t know Matt…if you have an unlimited amount of pallets I would of raised the whole thing…

Image result for pallets as fencing

Just my thoughts.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

I like the layout you designed you can have switching fun and continous running.

I also like Seans idea of raising the whole RR. My first yard is like yours on the ground and I need to kneel to play. My big yard is elevated and it is great. It requires less maintenance and it is so cool to see the trians go by closer to my eyes.

Around the curves you can have bridges trestles and gorges.

Just a thought.

Happy RRing

That’s a cool idea for a layout. Turned out VERY nice!!

Sorry its been a few days since I’ve been on here… just to start off, once again, thank you for all of the kind words!

Shawn- I would’ve never even have thought of submitting an article to GRR. Wouldn’t even know where to start, any ideas?

Forest- I’m probably just going to keep the portable lights instead of a permanent fixture. I like the ability to move it for different lighting for pictures.

Devon- Total space on the side yard it about 50 feet next to the house up to a fence panel I built to separate the layout from the rest of the yard(and the dogs)

Steve- You’re about right on with 35 feet… Each pallet is 4 feet long and I have five laid out. And the loops are 8 foot diameter so it’s sitting roughly just under that mark.

Sean- So i love the idea of a raised layout and I’ve always contemplated it. Truthfully, this took me about a day’s work to start and finish and it was more of a trial run than anything that turned out a little better that expected. The ease of leveling the ground and slapping down some bricks definitely outweighed the construction of an elevated curve system with a more technical aspect of stability. Down the road if I get bored with what I have, I may change it up and raise it. Or maybe widen it. Or just add a little here or there. Who knows.

Shawn Viggiano said:

That looks great and I love the idea using pallets.

+1