Large Scale Central

Bachmann consolidation split gear

I posted this on the Bachmann forum

"Apologizes if this has been done before but I have Spectrum 1:20.3 Consolidation that has a split gear.

Applying power to the motor causes it to run but the wheels do not move and there is a ‘clunking" sound’ made by the gear.

I have looked at the parts store and the wheel assembly P/No 81209 has sold out.

Is there a replacement gear or wheel assembly that I can get to replace the failed one?

I am in Australia so a local supplier would be preferred if possible to save on postage.

I have previously used Barry’s Big Trains to repair an old big hauler but he has retired."

I had some replies but I am now spreading my net to the wider community for any others suggestions.

Graeme,

Give Barry a call or e-mail him. I believe he said he was still helping individuals at times. Just not mass producing drives anymore.

Graeme,

Bachmann has the brass replacement gear in stock. I understand you are located ‘down under’, but a factory replacement part is far superior to the alternative. I have replace two of them and they are a cinch. For the older members, it appears the-ashpit has gone down. I am hoping someone who is more versed in the Wayback Machine will be able to provide you a link to Mik’s instructions, they are very easy to follow. Here is a link to the Bachmann site for the part http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=3843

Bob,

Here is MIK’s Model Railroad section on “The-Ashpit”. I could not locate the instructions you seek on it. Maybe you can.

http://web.archive.org/web/20101224100201/http://the-ashpit.com/viewforum.php?f=4&st=0&sk=t&sd=d

deleted

Yep, I had gotten that far too Joe. I was hoping one of the veteran ‘Wayback’ers’ might have a solution to getting to the exact thread, although I am beginning to think it may have been in Mik’s personal space that is even less available. Maybe someone with one of the web site rippers may have gobbled up the stuff and make it available.

Mik’s hosting must have expired. I grabbed a copy of his website just after he passed. I just checked and the Connie Gear page is intact. I’m uploading it to my webspace now. When it’s ready I’ll post a link.

When Mik built his site he put in lots of hard references to his top level domain. This makes it impossible to navigate the site copy, but accessing individual pages is possible. If I was ever really bored with nothing to do it could be fixed, but it wouldn’t be fun.

The text Richard posted above is the same as on the page I’m uploading. If it works, the link will lead you to a copy of the original page with formatting and pictures intact. The upload is going to take a while - only 40% in about 10 minutes.

Thanks John, that is what I was hoping for. The pictures tel a lot of the story.

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

The pictures tel a lot of the story.

Yep

OK - here ya go. Mik’s Connie Gear Page hosted by the CVSRy

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

Graeme,

Bachmann has the brass replacement gear in stock. I understand you are located ‘down under’, but a factory replacement part is far superior to the alternative. I have replace two of them and they are a cinch. For the older members, it appears the-ashpit has gone down. I am hoping someone who is more versed in the Wayback Machine will be able to provide you a link to Mik’s instructions, they are very easy to follow. Here is a link to the Bachmann site for the part http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=3843

So you would recommend the Bachmann part (Is that the brass one that comes with an new axle?) over the NWSL part?

Yes I am downunder and will have to buy via the net.

Daktah John said:

OK - here ya go. Mik’s Connie Gear Page hosted by the CVSRy

Thanks for the directions, the pictures really are worth a thousand words.

Dave Marconi said:

Graeme,

Give Barry a call or e-mail him. I believe he said he was still helping individuals at times. Just not mass producing drives anymore.

Anybody have an active email address for Barry?

This is a couple years old, but…

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/18509/contacting-barry-s-big-trains

Graeme,

Yes, without a doubt I would recommend the manufacturer’s replacement. The Bachmann part is a brass gear on a steel shaft. I am not faulting the NWSL replacement gear, it is far superior to the original, but the onus of installing the gear will fall on the installer (you) to get it ‘right’. It took me about an hour to do two Connies using the Bachmann gear (mine and a friends). I used Mik’s article, which I am so glad John had for reference, and it went flawlessly. The only small comment I have to make is there are two small brass rings that locate next to the gear (if my memory is correct), pay attention to where they locate and the orientation of the ring, it does make a difference.

Good luck with your project.

Bob C.

Sorry my post could not help i will delete.

Richard Beverly said:

Richard - That was a great post. It had all the information and links to the pictures. If I hadn’t been able to figure out how to get the original page working it would have served the purpose. Thanks for your effort.

Richard Beverly said:

Richard, please, never delete a post. All posts are valuable. All contain valuable information. Now, we have lost yours, forever. Somehow, that’s not fair.

Richard,

PLEASE accept my apology if my post came off wrong. It was NEVER intended to devalue your information. I was simply remembering how easy Mik’s instructions and photos made it for me, and was hoping to ‘pay it forward’ to Graeme.

Looking at the date and times of my posts, it looks like most were made at my place of work, where our ‘big brother’ software monitors all the web sites we visit and makes ‘judgement’ call as to whether to allow or block images. In the 9 years I have been employed there I have never been able to ascertain any guidelines as to how it does it. Unfortunately, most photos that are stored off LSC I don’t see until I get on at home. I may just have not seen the links in your post, which may have influenced my decision to follow the path I took.

Humbly,

Bob C.

Thank you all for the information and help

Now all I have to do is get a replacement and fit it, install the R/C gear and battery and the sound card and speaker.