Large Scale Central

C-19 sound problem with P-8

My buddy has a C-19. The chuff sensor was installed on the tender axle. How do you hook the P8 so it gets the signal from the chuff sensor the C-19 has on it’s cylinders? I know nothing about this, but thought I’d try to help him, with you guy’s advice.

Jerry Barnes said:

My buddy has a C-19. The chuff sensor was installed on the tender axle. How do you hook the P8 so it gets the signal from the chuff sensor the C-19 has on it’s cylinders? I know nothing about this, but thought I’d try to help him, with you guy’s advice.

Jerry

Pretty easy

1st you need to ensure there is a + and - voltage to the locomotive and common the ground with the P8

Next hook up the P8 chuff input to the C19 connection called chuff sensor.

Done

Stan

Thanks Stan, we had noticed that on the C19 board and have i.d.'d the wires going to the sensor on the axle. So just take that wire and solder it to the chuff sensor hole on the C-19 board?

Jerry Barnes said:

Thanks Stan, we had noticed that on the C19 board and have i.d.'d the wires going to the sensor on the axle. So just take that wire and solder it to the chuff sensor hole on the C-19 board?

Jerry

Not sure what device you have in the socket. So long as it is providing DC ± to the locomotive then yes. Remove the Phoenix chuff input wire from the axle pickup and insert it to the chuff sensor on the C-19 board and it should work.

A good way for checking that DC± is present is to plug in the fan in the tender. If it runs DC is present.

Stan

Stan,

We have a G3 board, not sure it has anything to do with this sound chuff thing though.

From the sensor on the tender axle I have two black wires out of it, they come up and tie into a blue and a orange wire on the P8 board. So, do I hook one to the Big Bachman board chuff hole? If one wire goes to it, where does the other one go? So which color goes where?

thanks, Jerry

Jerry Barnes said:

Stan,

We have a G3 board, not sure it has anything to do with this sound chuff thing though.

From the sensor on the tender axle I have two black wires out of it, they come up and tie into a blue and a orange wire on the P8 board. So, do I hook one to the Big Bachman board chuff hole? If one wire goes to it, where does the other one go? So which color goes where?

thanks, Jerry

Jerry

How the G3 is installed has a lot to do with how the functions inside the C-19 operate. There are several common ways to install the G3. The simplest is to install the motor outputs of the G3 to the battery inputs of the C19 and leave the dummy plug in the C-19 socket. The problem with this install is that you can not control the separate functions such as the cab light or the classification lights via the G3.

Another common install is to remove the dummy board in the socket and install the G3s motor outputs to the C-19s motor inputs and the G3 function outputs to the locomotives function inputs.

If you chose this install then connect the battery to the locomotives + and - terminals so that the locomotive has DC power for its internal functions.

Simple check. Plugin the fan in the tender. If the fan spins the locomotive is properly powered. If the fan does not spin check to ensure that there is power to the locomotives + and - terminals.

Once the locomotive is properly powered you can connect the chuff.

On the P8 the Orange wire is “trigger one”. Connect this to the C-19 Cuff sensor.

The blue wire on the P8 is the Trigger Ground. In most installs it is not needed as the P8 already shares the battery ground. If needed connect this wire to the Locomotives ground “-” connection.

It really is that simple

Stan

THANKS Stan!

That fixed it right up. Wired the orange wire into the Chuff Sensor hole on the big Bachman board and it works great! His other sound problems went away also, seems that is the way to do it! His K-27 has that sensor hook up deal also, would it be the same to get the wire to the big board? Le me know.

thanks again, Jerry