Large Scale Central

EBT Robertsdale Layout Build Log

Well, York was very inspiring and I have decided that I can’t wait any more to get some track down out side. We are still planning to move in about 2 years but this idea will require minimal grading and should be pretty easy to pick up and transplant.

My plan is to model the EBT’s southern terminus Robertsdale. This will only include Mine #1 for it’s initial incarnation. It’s possible I could add mine #5 later but that depends on how long we stay for starters. I’m adding a loop at each end to provide some form of continuous running. There should be plenty of operation in between the loops when the urge for that strikes. (Most of the time ) The loop at the Northern end (with the wye) will run out where the ground drops off and be on some sort of trestle providing a place for a belly height steam up track. Now this trestle will not be of the scale model type, but more of a utilitarian type to be quick to build for it’s planned sort life.

Robertsdale Layout

Here is a view of the area will this will all take place. In the distance you can see where the plateau ends and the end loop will be on it’s trestle. The other loop will end right about where the white corner of our house is.

New layout spot

My First order of business will be building the 12 switches that I’ll need This is where I’m running in to my fist dilemma. The EBT used standard gauge ties everywhere. Since I’m building my switches it wouldn’t be a problem to cut those the right length. But what about my tie strips? I have 400’ of code 250 aluminum rail form Switch Crafters and a box of ME tie strips to go with it. Unfortunately when you see track assembled it doesn’t really scream EBT. Does anyone make a 1:20.3 tie strip assuming 3’ gauge with standard gauge length? Since Cumberland offers the Dual gauge F scale, I’m going to inquire about it to them but I’m pretty sure of the answer I’ll get. Any other options? (aside from hand laying everything! )

Well, the tie strips could be used where the track either isn’t all that visible, or is on the loops where its not really part of the scene. I mean a utilitarian trestle, that isn’t a model, would not need true model ties. At least that is my thought. So now I have cut your hand laying of track down to a less daunting amount. You can thank me later. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

You know David, that is a really great idea. I’m just a little worried about the precedent it setts for when we move and I start laying track toward Orbisonia! I have 400’ of rail So it’s only 200" total track. I could use the rail any where so the only casualty would be 100’ feet or so of tie strips. Humm…

Ok, David technically dodged my disclaimer, but can any one get me out of handling the stuff between the switches?

Accucraft makes a 1:20 tie strip.

http://www.accucraftestore.com/index.php?productID=487

Not sure if this is the best picture, but from left to right, Aristocraft switch and track, scratchbuilt 3-way and Accucraft tires strips and Switchcrafters track.

The ties for the switches I cut to the same size as the Accucraft ties.

Nice Ken! Those do look a bit longer than the Micro Engineering ones. And you say the work with Switchcrafters Rail? Could I ask you to measure the length of one of their ties? Ive learned to double check my eyes but from your picture they do look longer. Is that your layout? It has a very nice feel to it. Thanks a ton!

I’m with David. If you can’t find tie strips that turn you on, then hand lay in selected scenes, like the Company Square, maybe the engine house tracks and in front of the freight house - places you are likely to photograph.

I have a feeling that once you hand lay more than a few feet you will decide that available tie strips don’t look that bad after all (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Randy,

if you have M.E. rail it will not work well with Accucraft tie strip, as there rail has a wider base width of 5.5 mm I believe. (same as Sunset Valley) as you are indicating this is a temporary solution I would use the M.E. tie strip you have. One thing I have always emphasized is to get something down and running. you can always go back later and make incremental improvements. but get something operating, the enjoyment factor goes up exponentially.

Al P.

Randy, The Accucraft narrow gauge ties are 4" long, x 3/8" high x 1/2" wide. The switchcrafters 250 aluminum track fits the tie strips pretty snug.

Here’s a bit more close up picture with a engine on it.

I have some ME tie strip so I’ll take a picture later to show the difference.

Here’s a side by side view. Accucraft on the left. ME on the right.

Wow! Thanks Guys. Ken, you are awesome! Those pictures really speak to me, and the the Accucraft really look better. I can live with those. They are about 5/8 longer and are thicker too. They could maybe stand to be a bit longer but not bad. Going to be ordering later today.

John and Al I’m right with you. I may still use the ME ties on the loops but we’ll see as I tally the total from my impending order today. If my aim was to only do this section and I had more time, I might consider hand laying. Eventually I’d like to pick this up move it, and keep building… a lot. So I wouldn’t want to hand lay all of that. The Accucaraft ties look close enough to ease the butterflies in my stomach.

I’m getting excited now. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Wow, Thanks to all of the great and quickly given advice here this morning, I was able to back up the boat find a great solution to my tie quandary and get things ordered. Thanks every one!

I did some calculation and came up with 381 feet of track in the design. I currently have 400’ of rail and 200’ of ME tie strips. So I ordered another 400’ of rail and 300’ of the Accucraft tie strips. I’ll use my ME strips out on the loops as David suggested. Clif as usual, was great at taking my request and getting things accounted for on his end. He’s even telling me it will all ship today. Great service!

My next line of business will be getting set up to do some lost wax casting of a #7 frog that I want to use. I’ll be designing and hopefully having it 3d printed by weeks end. Stay tuned…

Good luck! And keep us posted on your progress. In the mean time I’ll be working on my layout’s relocation and get some pictures when I have something to show.

Randy, before you get cutting too much, the EBT didn’t use standard gauge ties. The right-of-way was graded to standard gauge clearances, but they used shorter ties, usually cut by the local timber operators who also cut mine props for the mines. I’d have go digging for measurements, but I think they were on the order of 6.5’ to 7’ long. The Accucraft tie strips are 7’ long x 10" wide.

Later,

K

Randy,

Will also comment that the Micro Engineering tie strip has more of a narrow gauge feel, wood grain embossed and staggered ties. somewhere I have a chart that shows the respective dims of the different mfg.'s rail. when I find I will post.

Al P.

Thanks Kevin, Yeah I wondered as I typed that statement about standard gauge ties, but your information makes sense, and makes the Accucraft ties perfect for the job. After walking quite a few stretches of track and having seen the rolling stock on it the ME strips just did not look right to me.

Al, I agree and that’s what originally attracted me to the ME strips. Now after seeing the railroad first hand and in numerous photos, it looks to me that the EBT’s ties were fairly consistent and longer than the ties that ME group are trying to portray. Take a look at the photo below (borrowed from Chris Coleman’s great site ) I think it illustrates what I’m talking about. That sounds like a fantastic chart I’d love to see it. Thanks!

Robertsdale

I regret, despise and hate the fact that I went with code 332 track with Euro ties to run my narrow gauge equipment on. To me, it looks wrong on so many levels. People will say to get stuff down and get running and I couldn’t agree more. BUT, get down what you want the first time so you don’t regret (like me) the work you have done. The AMS ties are very nice and the micro engineering track, while not designed for it does work in it. Every time I look at my layout I want to tear out my track and start over with code 250. You’re in a better position because if it doesn’t work out well you’ll have to pull it up when you move anyhow.

It was great to meet you at York, good luck in your adventures.

also, I’ll never forgive you for buying those EBT hoppers :slight_smile:

Terry

Terry,

He bought them one at a time, like I did with the boxcars I bought, so no excuses as to not getting in there with one of the best bargains (at least in 1:20.3) that was there. When I left there was still 8 of the Spectrum tank cars available at the same price.

Al P.

Heh heh heh, Yeah Terry, I still feel a little guilty about that.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif) Thanks for sticking up for me Al ! They sure look good sitting up on my shelf. I guess that’s partly what’s inspiring this layout.

Terry, I hear you on the 332 and on being too hasty. 322 just looks really big IMHO, and while I agree just get something running, you have to adhere to at least some standards. I enjoyed the dog bone I had out for a few years. When I took it up to do the little rock wall and we decided to leave I just thought that I could wait a year or two to have a place to run. I was Wrong! Hoping to have some track down by the end of spring.

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:
. . . .

My next line of business will be getting set up to do some lost wax casting of a #7 frog that I want to use. I’ll be designing and hopefully having it 3d printed by weeks end. Stay tuned…

Randy,

I’m glad Kevin spoke up, as I was sure the ties weren’t std gauge length! But I think your (Ric’s) picture shows that the Accu ties will be a good choice.

Before you start casting, check out the nickel silver frogs from Llagas. They are very fine castings - though I am not clear what the availability is these days.

Randy cant wait to seyout progress. I cant wait to start on mine. I decided to go with the handlaying approach although I will keep the Aristo ties for now. I figure I can spike a section at a time. That way I can still run in between. For some reason the black aristo ties drive me crazy now lol…