Large Scale Central

Chicago & St Paul

Hello Forum friends.

So this week is the week I leave for Chicago and St. Paul. will be leaving Thursday from Post Falls, Id. and Driving. We are going through N Dakota on to Chicago. I will be there Sat visiting the Sanfalippo Museum in Barrington where an 1881 grant locomotive is restored and is my prototypes #1 from back in the day. Then Sunday we drive to St Paul. On Monday we will be see a few RR sites such as some twin portals and the Hill mansion. Tues-Thur will be at the NP archives. Friday we drive to Custer, SD. Sat we see Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Then Sunday home.

It is a full trip but is there anything I need to see while I am on the road?

Devon

You won’t have time for any thing but driving with that schedule. But, since you axed, Little Big Horn. I’ve always wanted to see why it was called the Bad Route Road, that goes south from I 90 in Eastern Montana. Bicycle the Hiawatha Trail from Lookout Pass, except it doesn’t open until May 23. The North Dakota Badlands.

Have a safe and fun trip.

You need more time at the St. Paul archive… :wink: On a serious note, where you able to find everything you need to help your research? Have fun, and if you have questions give me a shout! On Monday check out the St. Paul roundhouse if you have time. They have quite a collection of locomotives and other cool stuff.

Steve Featherkile said:

You won’t have time for any thing but driving with that schedule. But, since you axed, Little Big Horn. I’ve always wanted to see why it was called the Bad Route Road, that goes south from I 90 in Eastern Montana. Bicycle the Hiawatha Trail from Lookout Pass, except it doesn’t open until May 23. The North Dakota Badlands.

Yea Steve it is a full schedule for sure. I have some time in Chicago on Sat about half a day. Then I have about half a day on Sunday and half a day on Monday in St Paul. The we will be going through the Badlands on the way home. Little Big Horn will have to wait.

Craig Townsend said:
You need more time at the St. Paul archive… :wink: On a serious note, where you able to find everything you need to help your research? Have fun, and if you have questions give me a shout! On Monday check out the St. Paul roundhouse if you have time. They have quite a collection of locomotives and other cool stuff.

That does sound like a good stop on Monday.

As for the Archives yeah three days is what I get. I am taking your advice and dad and I will both be armed with cameras.

I think I have a pretty good handle on what I am going to see. I went through all the finding aides and have them prioritized. I will be emailing my list of things I want to see first so they will pull it so its ready for Tuesday. One thing about my RR is there is a couple of boxes devoted to specifically that RR which will be nice.

I wish I had a week. But we will see where we get.

Just make sure you record where you find everything! It’s a lot easier to trace backwards with a known starting point if you ever need when you go back… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)Have fun, and I wish I could come along.

Have a safe trip Devon and remember it didn’t happen without pics !

David Russell said:

If he listened to my advise, he’ll have a couple thousand pictures of just boring paper and cardboard boxes. Oh wait those boring pieces of paper have historical value.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Craig Townsend said:

David Russell said:

If he listened to my advise, he’ll have a couple thousand pictures of just boring paper and cardboard boxes. Oh wait those boring pieces of paper have historical value.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

You beat me to the punch Craig. I was going to offer up pictures of letter press books.

I will post interesting ones I promise rooster. I imagine I will have one or two to show off.

Hey Devon, have a great time on your trip. We’ll be looking forward to seeing your pictures and hearing the stories when you get back.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck maybe I can share at the April meeting. When and where?

Devon, check out Illinois Railway Museum, you can find them online, when you leave Barrington it is straight west in Union, Illinois, of course you could spend a LOT of time there, place is awesome, lots and lots of stuff to look at, I highly recommend it.

Tom Huisenga

Devon Sinsley said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Yea Steve it is a full schedule for sure. I have some time in Chicago on Sat about half a day. Then I have about half a day on Sunday and half a day on Monday in St Paul. The we will be going through the Badlands on the way home. Little Big Horn will have to wait.

Does this mean you’re going to explore the Bad Route Road for me?

tom huisenga said:

Devon, check out Illinois Railway Museum, you can find them online, when you leave Barrington it is straight west in Union, Illinois, of course you could spend a LOT of time there, place is awesome, lots and lots of stuff to look at, I highly recommend it.

Tom Huisenga

They are closed until April 5th, I will be on my last leg home. Too bad sounds interesting for sure

Steve Featherkile said:

Ummmmm? Not sure what your talking about?

Devon Sinsley said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Ummmmm? Not sure what your talking about?

The Bad Route Road was one of my suggested diversions. You having memory problems?

I understand what your talking about but not where. But I do now. Its in Montana near glendive. Even a rest area there

I’ve always wondered why its called Bad Route Road. It looks like a good road from the freeway. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Well about all the exploring I will be able to do on that road is check out a urinal at the rest area. Tomorrow will be one of the longest days of the trip. Post Falls to Bismarck; almost 14 hours.

Sink the Bismarck!