Large Scale Central

SP Light Package

After searching the internet for 1/29 scale SP Light Package detail I realized that if I wanted some I would have to make them myself.

Don’t have a 3D printer just a file, some sanding sticks, some styrene, and plastic cement. I forgot the Oomoo 30.

They are not perfect, and they will need fine tuning but from 10 feet they will work for me.

The Gyralite in the center looks short, but I didn’t shave off all of the light on the model, so it should be close.

Looks good to me!

David Russell said:

Looks good to me!

Thanks David.

I guess this should have posted in the Modeling section.

Looking good Jim… Nice work.

Noel Wilson said:

Looking good Jim… Nice work.

Thanks Noel.

Once they get painted in they will be great.

Andrew Moore said:

Once they get painted in they will be great.

Thanks Andrew.

They will get some paint tomorrow.

What material did you use for the mold? Looks great!

Joe Paonessa said:

What material did you use for the mold? Looks great!

Thanks Joe.

I used Oomoo 30. Available at Dick Blick Art supplies. It’s a 1:1 mix which makes it easy.

The mold boxes are made from styrene, and reusable.

Jim

After making one of the more complex pieces (for me anyway) I didn’t want to make another from scratch.

Made a new mold box out of styrene with master glued to bottom (top when cured).

I forgot to put mold release (I use vaseline and alchohol and brush it on) on the master.

Got lucky and the master came out of the mold without tearing.

The pieces are just tacked in place for photos. Did I get the proportions right? Looks close to me.

Yes all of the lights will work when finished.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Mounted the lights with JB Quick. Painted the lights with Floquil bright silver.

Oops I mean old silver. Well one end bright silver and one end old silver. Either way it doesn’t match USA silver.

I tried a gyra with a refer white base coat and then bright silver. Still not a match, but better.

Light package need some fill work and touch up around mounting areas.

I wish I would have bought the G3 decoder with more light functions. I did manage to get close to what I wanted.

Also installed a PB8 while I was at it.

Nice work Jim. I use talcum powder for mold release, it works well.

Jerry Barnes said:

Nice work Jim. I use talcum powder for mold release, it works well.

Thanks Jerry. I will give the talcum powder a try.