Large Scale Central

Review/Remedy PIKO 2-6-0

PIKO’s Mogul 2-6-0 has been given lengthy run times and one foible emerged - the front truck needs weight to accommodate the turnouts, reports friend Lance. Furthermore, the weight added was a mixed success. Lance removed the front truck and now no problems with the entry or exit with the turnouts.

Apparently, the front truck has a need for perfectly level track at the entrance/exit of an LGB 1200 turnout.

Otherwise, the loco is a gem and for the money, the sound/smoke/lights feature makes an dent in LGB’s price point.

Wendell

Common issue with lots of locos.

Pick up an Aristo steamer sometime and see how extreme the allowed up down travel of the pilot is.

Check the cross level of your track and improve your track if you can.

If not, see if you can increase the up down travel of the pilot.

Greg

Greg-

You have found restriction on the “up and down” travel of the pilot is a cause of derailment traversing turnouts.

Any remedy experiences you have had with specific brands of steamers that increases this up and down movement? Added weight in the pilot of the Bachman Annie series apparently only gave the pilot staying power. Is the better remedy making it easier to “float” up and down? Is this true of the other brands?

Thanks. I know a lot of questions are being asked – we appreciate your experience

Wendell

On my Bachmann 2-4-2, and Aristo Pacific trailing truck, the problem I had was the truck can twist. On wheel can go up over the rail while the other wheel stays on its railhead. I had to shim the post hole so the truck was limited in its ability to twist. Then I added a little weight and they started tracking a whole lot better. But they already had plenty of up and down freedom of movement

You need both up and down travel and a spring and weight in most cases.

I have found a light spring and weight is a good combination. Too much spring can lift the front drivers off the rails.

Hope that helps.

Greg

ALSO…check the back-to-back wheel spacing of the pilot and trailing truck wheel sets…they all tend to be out of proper gauge.

B’mann improved the pilot truck on the Anniversary, in the last upgrade. It is VERY MUCH improved.

Fr.Fred

Greg Elmassian said:

You need both up and down travel and a spring and weight in most cases.

I have found a light spring and weight is a good combination. Too much spring can lift the front drivers off the rails.

Hope that helps.

Greg

Huh, that’s interesting. Intuitively, I would think it would be the reverse. Can you describe the forces involved?

…and when all else fails you can always run bunker/tender first. Well, the prototype railroads did it in many places.