Large Scale Central

Weird locos... add yours

Devon asked for the Unusual…

I’m positive this fits.

We just couldn’t let go, because Devon let the water run out, we took the straight 6 out of his truck.

I’ve always been partial to the GG1/2 myself

I remember someone doing an Aristo FA-1/2, only using one truck. I did an E-8 with cabs on both ends, I think Kidman’s bought that.

This one is just somebody’s highly-imaginitive 3D rendering – but it sure looks cool:

Son of Victor!

John that is recycling to the extreme. Its dang cool.

Cool equipment keep it. I love the bizarre. Wish I could model it all.

Then you have the SP camera cars.

Dang! There is a prototype for the Aristo Critter.

One of my favorites is a Lombard. I’d like to build a non working model of this someday for a flat car load.

I can’t help myself I gotta do it…

OK guys John said weird not just plain ugly.

This one goes back to the “pre-electrification” days of the Swiss Federal Railways and was an experimental engine.

It didn’t just look weird, the innards ( aka el equipment) matched the funky outside. For a larger picture go to http://tinyurl.com/o9opozq

And then there was the original three phase electrification of the Simplon tunnel which sported some equally weird engines. Three Phase = two catenary lines and the track as the third. This would be the very ancient precursor to today’s AC traction.

Brown Bovery Company (BBC) was the design and construction outfit for traction electrics. Since they had no engines ready, they leased three from the Veltlin Valley Railway (Italy).

John Caughey said:

I came to work officer and discovered someone stole the back half of my locomotive.

John Bouck said:

Dang! There is a prototype for the Aristo Critter.

John, I was thinking the same thing. and its in PC too. I think I just found out what I am doing with mine. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Many (most) of the early electrics looked “a bit” weird.

Like this experimental engine built by Alioth for the PLM

2-B+B-2 type suitable for 1 phase AC and DC.

Electrics really aren’t my thing but that one is cool Hans and the one Bob posted is pretty neat also.

Got a feeling that I remember the RS3coupe is photoshop fakery, sorry.

I do know that the GG1/2 is real, and I’ve always wondered how it worked mechanically. As I understand it the GG1 has a pair of (suitably massive) six wheel mainframes articulated under the body, more or less like trucks on a modern unit except that there’s a traction link between them. The driver and traction motors sit in these frames, and the four wheel leading trucks are attached to end extensions of them. But if you take half the loco away you’re left with just one pivot over the remaining mainframe. What stops the body just flopping about?

My contribution, all links.

Diesel conversion of a shay

Swiss steam loco with an immersion heater to save on coal

A wartime thing, 2 conversions, here’s a diagram : drawing

More here for anyone interested : LINK

If you follow the ‘loco wing’ link on that last site back to main page, that last site is a whole menagerie of mechanical horrors, mostly well documented.

0-10-0 with a rather large preheater

Or this turbine?

One boiler good, three better.

'Nuff Sed.

J.