Large Scale Central

RC Cars for ESC?

OK so I have been bouncing around on the different subjects for a build that went very quickley from theoretical to happening. I know zero about Battery/RC. So I need a RC101 lesson. This little loco will be a Fn2 (1:20.3 2’ guage). I am shooing for a very small saddle tank 0-4-0 that will pull at most three appropriately small cars. I bought and O gauge motor block with a can motor from Stan Cedarleaf. He tested it and ran fast at 12 volts and said it would run great for my apllication at 7-8 volts. This will be a slow mover and not much weight. More than likely it will be continiously run one direction and one speed most of the time.

With all that said, I am wondering if I can buy a cheapo RC car and use the remote, ESC, and battery to run this loco? I don’t want sound, simple forward/reverse and speed control is enough. If I can have a light then great a ittle 5mm led constantly on while powered up would be great. Can I do this? This project is supposed to be a budget micro so really don’t want to spend big bucks on loco control. I will save that for my Fn3 stuff.

Short answer - yes; if you have the patience to figure out the connections. But may not be worth the effort.

There are some very inexpensive low current ESC boards out there. Cheap receivers run about $10 and transmitters can be found under $50 that can be used with your Fn3 stuff later.

If you already own an R/C toy to butcher go ahead and give it a try. If you need to buy something, consider the alternatives.

Also look at Del’s Critter Control. $35 to do what you want: https://www.gscalegraphics.net/store/p2/Simple_Critter_Control.html

you can do with cheap rc cars, but there are far better options (that are made for LSTrains)…I asked the very SAME question in 2004… :slight_smile:

Thanks Daktah,

I have already been looking at the rail boss for my 2-6-0 so am familiar with Del.

Cale,

thats why I asked. I didn’t want to re-invent the wheel and I was sure people hadbeen down that road. If there are better option that are still cost effective then no need to travel there.

Thanks guys.

Shawn V. is using the Critter Control in one of his scratch built locos. Seems to work well.

I looked at the critter control and that would be perfect for what I originally said I wanted. However after emailing tony I think I may use his smallest ecs to run this. I am going to buy his controls I think for my 2-6-0 and this would mean that I could use that controller to also operate this little loco. The cost difference between the two is about 30 if you have the contrer.

I looked at the critter control and that would be perfect for what I originally said I wanted. However after emailing tony I think I may use his smallest ecs to run this. I am going to buy his controls I think for my 2-6-0 and this would mean that I could use that controller to also operate this little loco. The cost difference between the two is about 30 if you have the contrer.

I’ve ran Tony’s gear from AU for years. I recently began an install in Thomas, and found all the parts I ordered from about 6+ years ago. It’s the older stuff, but I’m sure it’ll be fine! His new 2.4 gear looks sweet too!

I have a Railboss system from Del that I hope to get installed sometime soon (once I finish Thomas).

I was going to go the rail boss route but I think I am sold on Tony’s stuff. He was quite helpful in getting me to understand it all and the newest small ESC will be perfect for this loco. Not sure you can go wrong either way. But I have no experience either. Both come well recommended.