Large Scale Central

Reed Switch Mounting

I need to mount a Reed Switch for the whistle sound on Thomas’ Annie Passenger car. I’d like to mount it where you see the red dot on the rear of the coupler post-any ideas to get it there and protect it in any matter? Wires will be fed back into the car to connect with the sound card.

thx

Cale

There’s not much in the way of a good foundation at that point. You would need to build upon the post and then mount the reed switch to the newly built up portion.

I usually glue the switch to a peice of styrene, then figure out how to mount the whole shebang.

Lowes/Home Depot sell lengths pf cellular vinyl pvc moulding that I have found useful in situations like this. They carry all kinds of shapes. I always have on hand some of the 1/4"x1 1/2" lattice and 5/8"x1 1/2"door stop and they have many other shapes and sizes available. It can be glued with pvc pipe solvent cement. It is very easy to work with. It takes paint well. It holds small screws very well. It is not as dense as the pvc used in plumbing pipes but yet very strong for these typres of applications where you need a hunk of material to make something out of. And its water proof…great for making our kind of outdoor stuff.

I purchase the flat reeds from Digi-key and these can be mounted with PC board standoffs.

They come with 2 mounting holes and give better activation as the reeds are horizontal instead of vertical when I mount them.

LGB mounts the reeds horizontal in their engines and in line with the rails.

I use the reed switch that phoenix sound provides. To mount it there I would put the switch in a styrene tube then the tube could be glued to a base that is mounted to the car.

Terry

Dan Pierce said:

I purchase the flat reeds from Digi-key and these can be mounted with PC board standoffs.

They come with 2 mounting holes and give better activation as the reeds are horizontal instead of vertical when I mount them.

LGB mounts the reeds horizontal in their engines and in line with the rails.

Thanks all! Dan is there a specific one u prefer? The mass of avail switches is a little overwhelming Cale