Large Scale Central

1st bat/sound install: need tip for Revo/Phoenix in Heisler

Am beginning my first ever Crest Revolution and Phoenix P8 install in my LS Bachmann Heisler. Have spent several hours on-line finding and printing any references to same. Factory, “manuals,” for these are good, but blending the wiring for the two is a bit vague and I want to get it right. No plug-and-play here. In all the parts for this kit, there is a 3300uf capacitor on a little one-inch square print board, has leads and a tiny connector that will plug into main board. However, I seem to recall when I got all this I was told this cap was not needed. Is this right?

I intend to remove all the Bachmann wiring, track voltage pick-up plungers, etc. Then wire motor leads directly from truck/motor blocks. I suppose replace headlight and rear light with 5mm LED’s. I have the little smoke board to be able to continue it’s function. Firebox flicker seems to be too involved to retain, (being part of the Bachmann PWB)

All electronics need to go in the locomotive’s oil/water bunker.

If anyone has done this for the Heisler, I’d sure like to hear feedback. Right now, it’s the capacitor that puzzles me as there is no reference to it in manuals. Comments appreciated.

Dennis

To help eliminate guessing, it would have helped to identify if the 3300 mfd cap came with the Crest or Phoenix.

I believe it is a the filter cap that came with the Crest, and it’s often used when the Revo system is used from track power.

Originally, there was a really big one: (the one on the right)

You should not need it on battery.

Greg

Thanks, Greg. It’s the single one on the left in your nice photo. It IS big compared to most other components in these kits. And I do believe it came with the Crest kit - it’s just that when I picked it up last night I couldn’t remember. I’ve had this stuff for over a year. I had arranged for it to be installed for me by someone who is a real expert with the idea I would then have a, “model,” to go by. After that I could use it as a professional example for me to follow later, on my own. But, even with a lot of wonderful intentions it just didn’t come to pass. Too much physical distance and too many life demands. So I’m on my own.

I want to assemble the bat/sound systems on my desk top, program anything required for the hand-held, then play the sound completely outside of the locomotive to prove it’s operation. Only then disassemble the Heisler. Not sure if the electronics require a real motor, “load,” to play safely. It should be a good learning experience.

Thanks for the explanation on the cap; I’ll just set it aside since I’ll have bat. power. Now to connect the dis-similar color coded leads between the Phoenix and Crest.

Dennis

Hey Greg.

Going by the bulge in the top, the single cap on the small pcb is blown so it could not be used anyway. :wink:

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

The only picture of the single cap board I had was the defective ones. Some were wired in reverse polarity from the factory, some bad out of the box.

Greg

There’s no reason you can’t get everything set up on the bench for testing. That will at least confirm everything works. In terms of programming the motor and sound controls, you’ll want to do that once everything’s on board the Heisler. Things like start voltage and top voltage, momentum, even motor direction should be programmed with the loco on the track so you can see how it performs as you tweak the programming.

With regard to the sounds, do you have the Phoenix programming interface? There’s lots you can customize there, but–again–it’s best to do so with the loco on the track so you can see how it responds to the tweaks you’re making.

Later,

K

Thanks, Kevin:

I appreciate you saying to do most of the programming when it’s in the locomotive. I’d have tried to do it all on the bench. I did decide that Revo’s CRE57078 non plug-N-play adapter board would be a worthwhile item to get for a better board and full support for the main board. Crest’s site says out of stock, so I called around and ended up talking to RLD Hobbies. Really nice fellow there who instantly said Revo hasn’t made the adapter for some 3 years now and doesn’t seem inclined to produce them in the future. So why does Crest still list them? So at least I’ll quit wasting more time looking for that.

I think I’ll manufacture a plastic board support now that I’m stuck with the cheapy non PNP adapter. Plus insert a cusion pad. It’s an interesting learning curve for me being entirely new to these installations. I will say that the more I study Revo the less impressed I am.

Oh, and Kevin, no I do not have the programming interface/software for the Phoenix but if I ever get this going, I’ll probably get it. I haven’t found weak spots in Phoenix yet.

Dennis