Large Scale Central

Airwire Drop in & Decoder Pro

I just installed an Airwire drop in on a USA GP-9. Has anyone used decoder pro to program an AW drop in?

I’m thinking I could pigtale into the AW battery connection to program with my computer.

I do it with my moguls that have g-wire and QSI magnum. I plug into the BIK-U3B charging jack with switch set to on with the other end connected to the programming track via alligator clips. Loconet connects to computer through a locobuffer II. When finished a have a saved configuration and can print all of it or just individual pages.

I reworked the light boards with LEDs. I need to program (everything) the top light in the front for gyra light (aux), but decoder pro has made me lazy.

JMRI is a boon to those of us who have a number of locos and/or have a lot of customization to get our sounds and lighting effects “just so”.

I’m all DCC so can’t say if/where you could “tap in” to get the airwire decoder to listen to you.

Greg

I agree with you Greg. JMRI is a must have for DCC. I can’t imagine keeping track of all the different configurations without it.

Tried to setup the gyra lighting on the aux connection but not having any luck. I read the manual too.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Jim

I’d go over to the QSI (Yahoo) site and tell them what CV’s you have set.

Regards, Greg

I think you may be out of luck with the Airwire/JMRI thing, at least not without a hack of some sort. With the Airwire board, there’s no DCC input (at least that’s documented), so there’s no way to bypass the Airwire receiver and send DCC commands directly to the decoder itself. There’s an Airwire group on Yahoo that may be able to help you program your lights, or maybe even know of a hack to get JMRI to interface (though I’ve not seen it discussed).

Later,

K

Do you want to program you lights with T5000 or are you set on trying to use the JMRI ? Like K said the dropin will just pass DCC commands thru.

Thanks for the replies.

Greg, the QSI are good I was having difficulty with the Airwire drop in light configuration.

Kevin, good idea on the Airwire group. I was thinking if I could tap in after the receiver, but not sure what effect that might have.

Of couse I wouldn’t have any power from the battery on.

Richard I was hoping to use the JRMI so I could save a configuration file. I figured out the Aux. Did it old school with the T5000.

It wasn’t that bad.

Need to do a little more work on the light boards. Not really using any of the components just the board itself to support things.

Next up Phoenix sound.