Large Scale Central

Burma-Shave Signs

I decided to add a painted Burma-Shave sign to the side of the general store model. I will post a photo of the model as soon as it is completed. Here is the sign I picked from the numerous ones available on the internet. Just search for “burma shave signs.”

Most folks my age can remember the Burma-Shave signs along the highway. The signs first appeared in Minnesota in 1925, and remained a major advertising component until 1963 in most of the contiguous United States. The exceptions were New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada (deemed to have insufficient road traffic), and Massachusetts (eliminated due to that state’s high land rentals and roadside foliage).

Typically, six consecutive small signs would be posted along the edge of highways, spaced for sequential reading by passing motorists. The last sign was almost always the name of the product. There were also Burma-Shave billboard signs, usually in pairs. Large single signs were often painted on the sides of buildings. The signs were originally produced in two color combinations: red-and-white and orange-and-black, though the latter was eliminated after a few years. A special white-on-blue set of signs was developed for South Dakota, which restricted the color red on roadside signs to official warning notices. Some of the signs had railroad themes.

Think about adding a Burma-Shave sign or signs to your layout. It’s one more thing we can easily add that makes viewing the layout more fun for our visitors.

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I cut myself shaving

Please get help

Burma Shave

My all time favorite,

"Slow down Pa, sakes alive, Ma missed signs four and Five. Burma Shave.

Burma Shave signs were a huge part of travel in the 40s, 50s and early 60s in the Western US when I was a kid. I used to watch for them as we travelled. I seem to remember them along Route 66 (now US40) in Arizona, but I could be wrong. They were fun and inventive. I used the idea for an advertising client in the 70s.

I remember them too. Here’s all the inspiration anyone will ever need.

Found in a field to the east of the Durango and Silverton RR on September 10, 2014

…a favorite place to eat in Silverton?

A group of us ate at Handlebars. I was attracted to eat there by a Burma Shave type sign set just north of the campground on the east side of the D&S RR.

"Grandpa was Right

You Need a Break

Stop in for some

Chix Fried Steak

Handlebars"

Sorry, no pics.

Black print on white background.

Here ya go Don a picture of Handlebars sign at least.

Sorry none of the inside

For those not familiar with this eating establishment just think of an over crowded and over displayed antique/junk shop with tables and waiters. Foods good though

Rick

Thanks, Rick.

Better pic than any I took.

I was hoping someone on here would come up with the pics of the actual signs, too.

Roses are red

Violets are blue

In Soviet Russia

Poem writes YOU

Burma Shave