Large Scale Central

Lionel Train Show

I just got back from a show in Crown Point, In, thought there would be some g scale but it was all O and N and whatever smaller scales, lot of stuff for sale, I guess I never paid that much attention to the smaller scales over the years did notice the pricing thought it was reasonable, WOW has those prices gone up, I do know now g scale is the best value, I know g scale has gone up, but those prices I can buy 2 g scale engines for the price of one I saw.

Just curious to see the feedback, maybe I have not been paying that close of attention?

Tom H

Yep everything has gone nutty prices wise. Even the cheap starter HO sets are now averaging over $80-100+, 5-6 years ago the same sets could be had for under $40.

Now you know why I collect the cheap battery powered N guage XTS train stuff for my microlayouts. Beats forking over $100 for N sfuff

tom, I have been making that point for years. I want some HO cars, but at $35 to $40 for one of the cars I want, I can nearly buy a large scale boxcar. One of my fellow club members has a beautiful HO K4. For the street price of that gem, I could buy a large scale (diesel) locomotive and have change left over.

When I read or hear someone complain about the prices of Large scale stuff, I try and point to the price of some of the HO stuff on the market.

On the other hand, I picked up 3 lightly used HO cars today for $20 at a show. So deals can be had in all scales, if you look for them.

I know a person with an online train store that has ā€œZā€ scale Big Boys going just north of $1700!!! AND ā€œZā€ scale brass caboose for $115!