Large Scale Central

Ads by Google

Hey Bob -

Is this something you have added, or do I have another browser hijack? Banner ad at the bottom of every forum page (not posts).

Added I believe

Im experimenting with them, placing them where they are fairly non intrusive. The site costs a small forutune to run, and my existing ads and sponsorships dont come close to breaking even. This may change that, if the ads arent too bad. Itll take me a few days to figure it all out.

OK, Thanks. Hope it works out for you. The current placement is just fine.

Bob McCown said:
The site costs a small forutune to run, and my existing ads and sponsorships dont come close to breaking even.

Is it possible to help by toning down the server space and keeping the site member supported and to those that really enjoy like it used to be? I always thought of LSC as PBS

Perhaps I’m missing something (like 3rd grade)

Just my thought’s

Only asking

Yep. I definitely DONT want to insert them in the middle of a thread, or at the top of the page. I just want to make sure I have SOMETHING on the most traveled pages. (I cant do chat, according to the use policy, but I can put them just about everywhere else. At the bottom, or on the left/right columns on the landing page at/near the bottom seem to be the best placement for now.

David Russell said:

Bob McCown said:
The site costs a small forutune to run, and my existing ads and sponsorships dont come close to breaking even.

Is it possible to help by toning down the server space and keeping the site member supported and to those that really enjoy like it used to be? I always thought of LSC as PBS

Perhaps I’m missing something (like 3rd grade)

Just my thought’s

The main problem isnt file space (drive space is cheap), but the sheer number of visitors we get. The number of lurkers dwarfs the number of active people, even removing various bots (which account for 3-5% traffic on any given day). Being popular has its price. :slight_smile:

Bob,

Might there be a way to allow access to the site in steps? Simple lurkers have access to the least information, members more and those who financially support additional access.

There are several fora I read that are done in that manner. but they use different software.

My tuppence worth.

Bob C.

Didn’t notice it until I read this thread and it certainly didn’t interrupt from the quality of this site.

I noticed it, but didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to it. Didn’t seem to intrude or interfere on my viewing anything.

Bob, noticed the ad’s no big deal for me. Anything you can do to keep the site as it is is fine by me, the last thing I want to see is a “first class section.”

How much bandwidth gets chewed up by the cross-posters? (joke)

Bob, I totally agree with Boomer. This site is way better than any magazine subscription. It’s true when they say “there’s no such thing as a free lunch”. If a Google ad helps to keep LSC afloat then I think that’s a mighty small price to pay. Keep up the good work. Thanks Mark B

Good job, Bob! Even though it’s fun for us, this is a business for Bob, and he should not have to keep the business alive by spending out of his pocket.

The ads are minimally intrusive.

I’ve been reading a LOT about how Google decides what ads to deliver to who. For the most part (something like 90% of the time depending on what you read) you’ll get ads for companies or services (or similar ones) that you have already visited or searched for. Another 5% of the time you’ll get an ad for something related to another Google service (Youtube, for example), and the last 5% is generally a random ad.

Im going to have text ads run for a day or two, then turn on the image ads, and see how those look. I can toggle various settings, and they take effect within about 10 minutes.

Thanks for your patience, gang.

Bob, the google ads are fine where they are.  

However, I find the G-Scale related banner ads from the forum sponsers are really nice.. I often find myself refreshing the page a few times to get to the right ad.  Is there a way I could see all the banner ads on the same page?  (Forum sponsor page? )

Quite honestly I hadn’t noticed them but they are a staple on many other forums I visit so I may just be so accustomed to seeing them that they didn’t register as being new here.

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

Bob, the google ads are fine where they are.

However, I find the G-Scale related banner ads from the forum sponsers are really nice… I often find myself refreshing the page a few times to get to the right ad. Is there a way I could see all the banner ads on the same page? (Forum sponsor page? )

Yep, go to the bottom of any page, and hit the “Advertising” link.

Gary Buchanan said:

Quite honestly I hadn’t noticed them but they are a staple on many other forums I visit so I may just be so accustomed to seeing them that they didn’t register as being new here.

Yea, Im pretty blind to advertising online too. Until you get one that pops up full page in your face, or has autorun video or something. Then I close the browser tab and forget about visiting that site. No amount of content is worth that kind of annoyance.

Does our clicking the ads help you get $?

I tried one for you… backed out quick tho’

John