Large Scale Central

My First Build

I want to move the progress of my first loco build over to a new thread instead of my introduction thread. Seems more appropriate. So this build is a Baldwin 2-6-0 build. It is the Coeur d’Alene Railway and Navigation Company #3. The real deal was an ex Utah and Northern locomotive that CR&N purchased in 1887. There is only one known picture of it and it is not a good one. So I get to take a little artistic lisc. I am going off of a drawing someone from somewhere else (that other site) gave me of the typical U&N 2-6-0s.

The model started life as a Bachmann ten wheeler. Very little remains. The Bachmann was chosen first because it was cheap. It also allowed me to move the rear driver back easily to where it needed to be. About the only thing that remains of the original is the chassis from the middle driver back and even that is highly modified. The slots for the wheels were deepened 1/4" to lower the whole locomotive. The Bachmann wheels scale to 42" in 1:20.3 and my loco had 42" drivers (Nice). The pilot deck is also the original with a piece of styrene added to give it shape. The rest is scratch built. The boiler is 1/14 PVC, with a 1/16" cork boiler jacket and that is covered with .010 plastic. The frame is Styrene bar stock. The boiler support is hand laid up .040 styrene. The smoke box front is various materials but the best part is the brass tid bit from a hardware store that looks dang near like a real boiler door. The Bachmann number plate even fit in the hole with no modification. I am pleased with that. All the bolts are hex rod and the rivets are sewing pins, drilled and glued in. The steam chest and cylinder is hand laid in styrene and a pice of 1/2" hard sprinkler pipe. It fits the Bachmann cylinder caps with some mods. Side rods have just started but I used the Bachmann ends and a small piece of brass square tube and styrene bar stock with hex rod for bolts and nuts. That’s where we are today.

Next is to finish the other steam chest and cylinder. Put the rest of the boiler bands on and finish detailing the chassis with springs (I am replacing the equalizing spring that I made cuz it looks cheesy)and crosshead support. Then the chassis will get painted and then the cross heads and side rods can be installed and the rods for the valve gears put on and run back to the Johnson bar. Then the back section of the boiler and the back head will be made. That should complete the chassis

I am having trouble inserting the pictures directly Here is the link to the photo album. If I can figure out the picture thing I will include them in the post.

http://largescalecentral.com/albums/view/12198

Devon

What a great first project!
Posting pictures can be a challenge but it gets easier.
I have only been able to post one per message but it works!
My Mac just doesn’t want to play nice!

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/bd/c8/01/1c5f6_371a.jpg?c=e271)

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/7b/c8/01/1c5b4_b72b.jpg?c=698c)

Not much to it, grab the URL of the picture you want, then click on the “tree” icon in the Post Message window, that brings up another window that you paste the URL in. Hit the “insert” button and there ya have it.

(http://largescalecentral.com/albums/view/12198)

When I try to upload a picture into the post itself the above is what I get. I hit the little tree and inserted the URL and then hit insert. Now the URL I am using is the one from the album stored here. Is that an issue. Do I need to be storing these pictures somewhere else and pasting that URL.

This one has me stumped.

Well Ken just did it dang it. What am I doing wrong.

That’s where I got the URL from, the freight shed, or album, that you posted the link too. What you are doing is using the link to the whole album. Just right click on the picture itself and copy the pictures address.

We’ll get you straightened out…:wink:

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/79/c8/01/1c5b2_77e1.jpg?c=653f)

I only post pictures from my Freight Shed. I just cut and paste the URL from the picture.

Ken is the whiz kid on this!

One issue I am having is that my computer does not like to look at these photos when I click on them. I have to open them in a new tab. Is that causing me an issue. I get all the way to the actual picture and paste that URL with no luck. Or at least I think I am.

I’ll try it that way and see what happens. It should work for you that way.

Worked for me doing it that way.

If your getting just the URL of the picture and not the whole page it’s on, it should work.

Ken Brunt said:

I’ll try it that way and see what happens. It should work for you that way.

Worked for me doing it that way.

If your getting just the URL of the picture and not the whole page it’s on, it should work.

Then again, I’m still using this old, outdated Windows XP, so who knows…:wink:

In firefox I capture the ‘location of the url’ and paste in the photo editor box as above…(from the Freight shed album).

John

Nothing I seem to do works. I get the dread black X. that’s frustrating. I will have to see if it does it from my home computer. It must be a setting on this one.

Yer not holding yer jaw right. Either that, or there is a faulty link between the seat and the keyboard. :wink:

Steve Featherkile said:

Either that, or there is a faulty link between the seat and the keyboard.

That is always a distinct possibility

Devon Sinsley said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Either that, or there is a faulty link between the seat and the keyboard.

That is always a distinct possibility

That is always a distinct possability

You got the hiccoughs?

You can also use image tags with the URL

Devon

The build looks great so far but why did you wrap the boiler with the cork first? Is there a specific reasoning for this?

hehe…no spaces [ img ] url [/ img ]

Steve Featherkile said:

You got the hiccoughs?

no I am still trying to figure out how to quote people without my stuff ending u in the white box.

I am slow have patience.