Large Scale Central

SJR&P Phase 7

We are about half way towards constructing Phase 7 of the railway.

Phase-7-Overview-with-Track

This will be the last major extension and provide a few hundred feet of additional trackage to our longest run as well as a few feet to the elevation change.

Since this part of the railroad is up against a hill there will be 4 tunnels and 4 bridges that need to be constructed.

This section will also be our interface to the standard gauge rail network which will require some dual gauge trackwork.

The plans are to complete the major rock work this season so that trackwork can begin next year with completion planned in 2016

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23959355@N05/sets/72157644541025983/
Stan

Wow. That’s some serious construction.

I remember moving some of those rocks. I’m in a couple of the pictures. Heavy construction is right!

Stan
Can you give us an idea how many workers will be helping?
I know it would take me a while to do all that work working as one.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Stan
Can you give us an idea how many workers will be helping?
I know it would take me a while to do all that work working as one.

Sean

Deb and I do most of the work. We do have work sessions about 4-6 times a year. We get about 6 helpers per work session and a session lasts between 2 to 3 hours.

The main purpose of the work sessions is to move the largest rocks or other heavy labor projects. Deb and I have also gotten good at moving large rocks, it just takes time.

The photos are over several years showing the gradual progress. The heavy machinery was there for a sewer install. They finished a little early and I had them break up a large rock that was in the way and move some of the larger rocks they dug up for future placement.

Stan

So when will the madness end?
Are you close to finishing the SJR&P ?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

So when will the madness end?
Are you close to finishing the SJR&P ?

Stan said:

This will be the last major extension

Ah, and I thought you brought in heavy equipment just to move rock! Only Andy is that crazy - at least he owns the heavy equipment!

Stan said----

“The main purpose of the work sessions is to move the largest rocks or other heavy labor projects. Deb and I have also gotten good at moving large rocks, it just takes time.”

Presumably , you advise Deb on the best way to move the rocks whilst you partake in a kool beer.? Smart move , Stan , very smart .

Macho Mike Brit

Stan, Is there any place you have a trackplan???

Andy Clarke said:

Stan, Is there any place you have a trackplan???

He has one on the back of every clipboard.

It’s BIG. For the expansion, check to the down and left of Chama…

Bruce, Thanks… Just wanted to give Jane a ““Heads up”” on his layout…

I gotta start seeing some of these RR’s in person!

Andy Clarke said:

Bruce, Thanks… Just wanted to give Jane a ““Heads up”” on his layout…

Just wait til you see it…the map doesn’t give an accurate impression of how big it really is…

There’s trees and stuff so you can’t really see all of it.

Maybe if you waited until winter and had a personal drone way up there.

David Russell said:

Yes you do. You’ll need to start by being willing to drive a bit further than York!

Jon Radder said:

David Russell said:

Yes you do. You’ll need to start by being willing to drive a bit further than York!

Yeah, but for us out in the West it is a little bit farther drive.

Jon Radder said:

Wow. That’s some serious construction.

I guess that IS some serious construction… Must be costing a fortune with all the union labor working like they are…

That’s going to be awesome, Stan…

:slight_smile:

Jake,

Yours might be a tad futher, but for me, about 20 hours drive time.

Bob C.

Stan,

And Debbie,

That is impressive to see the sketch. After seeing the location and the rest of the railroad, this is a very impressive undertaking. You guys really have a railroad. Slow and steady and you’ve proved it can all get done.

Last Saturday we had our fall work session and made a lot of progress at completing tunnel 2.

Photos before the work session show tunnel 2 enclosed with its access port. The new path to this area will go over the left side of the access port.
Photos at the end of the session show the area filled in. Still a lot of work to complete this area but hopefully this fall we can complete the tunnel 2 area and move on to tunnel 4.

Stan