Large Scale Central

spin, spin, spin...

I know I haven’t checked in here in awhile but it is taking forever for most pages to load up, like several minutes and sometimes not at all. What’s up with that? Running Win7, latest Firefox, on a very fast Fios connection.

Mine was doing that yesterday, which I attributed to the hot muggy weather. It’s working fine now.

I’ve been having the same issue for a few weeks. It is 6:20 in the AM and 47 people on site, and I just tried to open the ‘Vinnies Boxcab build’ thread. It took a minute for it to open, but the pictures never showed.

I’ve cleaned up my cashe and ran CCCleaner, restarted my PC, checked my download speed connection, and re-opened the site. This issue is getting worse and only on this site. Other sites that I go to open just fine and the pictures all come up.

It is annoying to say the least. Can you help on this B.D. ?

I had some minor delays, but in general it has been OK for me. Made and edited a huge post last evening and it opened and saved fine in the edit mode. Usually that can be a bit slow.

Gee, ever since Comcast “doubled” my speed, I get the little white boxes with the red X inside of them twice as fast. In other words, I am used to things being slow here. But I can’t complain, its not like I live in a large metropolitan area. :wink:

Brian Donovan said:

I know I haven’t checked in here in awhile but it is taking forever for most pages to load up, like several minutes and sometimes not at all. What’s up with that? Running Win7, latest Firefox, on a very fast Fios connection.

Brian

You are not alone but I love the hell out of the site so I ain’t complaining as Bob has enough to deal with.

I rarely go anyplace else other than here, so I don’t have much to compare it with.

For the most part I don’ see sluggishness. This post might have taken a second or two to open from the Active Topics list. That’s OK with me.

Could it be a regional thing? I’m pretty close to where Bob is. I don’t know how far away his ISP/Host is from him.

http://www.speedtest.net/ sez my internet is running 35Mbps Down /4Mbps Up which is faster than I pay for. I’m running an early Core i5 machine (3.2GHz 4Gb RAM) with XP and Firefox 30.0. Not exactly cutting edge, but fast enough for me.

I don’t have a problem getting stuff to open quickly, and I usually log in here thru AOL

So anyone research where the server is?

Do a speed test at the time it is slow to see if your internet is slow or just to LSC?

Greg

Server is midwest I believe and yes I have checked speed(speakeasy.net) along with other sites at the same time. I have also considered site maintenance as well however none of it adds up. It seems to be a real issue in chat more than anywhere else. It has happened on different PC’s of mine and with different IP’s (meaning work and home) and I’m semi anal about keeping my computers clean.

I’m no computer geek but I believe it is within the sites server. I have noticed that it seems to happen in chat whenever you have two or three guys refresh close to the same time and I have let it sit there and spin for 5 minutes or more to no avail. I can get out of it by going to my bookmaked LSC forums page (essentially leaving the site with out logging out) then click back on chat and it’s all back up. However I never logged out and when I refresh (by hitting the bookmark) I’m still logged in? This is all I have observed and I know you like problem solving Greg so perhaps this helps?

Either way as I said earlier it’s NOT a complaint as I know Bob has enough to deal with.

It’s still Rooster’s fault!

So what does not add up… you indicated you checked speed, but you did not give results.

ping times to speedtest and the site… speedtest results, chat, make sure your java and flash are updated… see if different browser (tried immediately when you have issue) makes a difference.

I think the chat software is pretty buggy myself, have seen erratic operation… if you are using firefox, the refresh button does NOT necessarily refresh… control-shift-r is the real forced refresh…

And it could be the speed of your pc, with poorly written chat software, it could be taxing your computer.

Hopefully all of this helps a bit.

Greg

Here in Boston, it is happening to me on all sites. Here, it may have something to do with all the new users on RCN, I used to see two or three other network users - now at least a dozen with several being Roku’s and one xfinity wi-fi which are apparently some sort of cable tv systems. I read recently something about service providers no longer being required to provide equal access…ie: faster service to higher paying customers, or some such thing… My daughter has also noticed this also on her MACBook