Large Scale Central

AAR type-E double shelf couplers

My latest project in 3D printing. Some of the dimensions need a little fine tuning, and I think the knuckle may need a tweak to keep it from coming back too far across the center line.

These are 1:29 scale. Compared to Kadee #1’s, they are slightly larger. They look alright to my naked eye, but the close-ups really show the fuzz of the SLS nylon.

And before anyone asks: no, I don’t know how strong they are yet. I may print one in steel to use to determine the breaking point of a nylon one.

Looks great.

I hope threads like these keep pushing manufacturers to stay on their toes. They need to make more products in G scale. They won’t if there’s no interest. Most modern equipment gets ignored because so many are happy to run the hook and loop.
You are pushing the hobby to new levels. Excellent!

Burl Rice said:

They look alright to my naked eye, but the close-ups really show the fuzz of the SLS nylon. I may print one in steel to use to determine the breaking point of a nylon one.

It should be interesting if the steel is as fuzzy, great looking Burl as usual!

I kinda like the fuzzy look (looks cast )

Joe Paonessa said:

I hope threads like these keep pushing manufacturers to stay on their toes. They need to make more products in G scale. They won’t if there’s no interest. Most modern equipment gets ignored because so many are happy to run the hook and loop.
You are pushing the hobby to new levels. Excellent!

I suspect quite the opposite. Why make products when people ignore you and make their own models.

Maybe they should start offering 3D CAD files instead - print-your-own model!

Joe,

The math is simple. Manufacturers are in business to make money. The tooling and set up costs require a fixed number of sales (not parts run) to break even. Then the time involved to more the remainder to make the profit. Our hobby is small enough to not generally garner the numbers to run the variety we would all like to see. Pete has much closer to the truth, in that, the more we make our own parts by whatever means, the less variety the manufacturers will make.

Pete,

From personal experience, I do solid modeling for a living, and believe me when I tell you that there is no profit in solid models. The extreme ease of bootleg (ask the recording industry) takes any real chance at profitability out of generating solid models for sale. When one factors in the research for the model, the time to actually generate the model(s) for an item, and then debug the SLA files so they print properly, you are in the same scenario as stated above.

I would sure like to be able to just go to ‘XYZ.COM’ and down load any part I want, but I am realist to know that isn’t going to happen. Maybe over time a site like this one may develop free library of solid models shared by our fellow modelers, but I don’t see that just around the corner. In time…

Bob C.

Bob Cope said:

Maybe over time a site like this one may develop free library of solid models shared by our fellow modelers, but I don’t see that just around the corner. In time…

Bob C.

Oh Benevolent Dictator, This could be a great improvement to the site. A specialized part of the forum that would just be a catalogue of the files members have uploaded. I’m sure most wouldn’t even oppose a small fee to access since the files may take extra server space or add cost in other areas of forum operation. Perhaps it wouldn’t just be a list of posts in the order things were uploaded, but more of a database feature where you can search for “steam loco details” then pick “Brakes” then “Shoes”.

Randy - I believe Bob has already done this. Look at the top menu bar under Folders.

I definitely can see your points. This scale is so diverse in who uses what. I would like more realism. Most seem just to want cheap.

I had a pair printed in steel. That’s a Kadee 1900 for comparison:

(http://burlrice.com/_LS_Coupler/metal3_lr.jpg)

(http://burlrice.com/_LS_Coupler/metal2_lr.jpg)

Now those are real purty…

I’ve got a pair assembled now & I’m happy with how they came out. By the way, they are difficult to uncouple!

I’m going to make them public at Shapeways. If anyone wants their own, here’s the link: http://www.shapeways.com/model/2041168/aar-type-e-double-shelf-coupler-1-29.html?modelId=2041168&materialId=23

What did it cost to have them printed?

Thanks, Greg

About $40 a pair.

Burl Rice said:

I’ve got a pair assembled now & I’m happy with how they came out. By the way, they are difficult to uncouple!

Difficult to uncouple? Isn’t that a bad thing?

With Kadees, I usually just pick up one end of the car & slip them apart. With a double shelf coupled to a Kadee, that’s a little more difficult. With two double shelf couplers together, its not even an option (which, I suppose, is the point of the double shelf design). Right now, a small flathead screw driver seems to be the best option for uncoupling.

They look real nice!
Not to shabby Burl!

Bob Cope said:

Joe,

The math is simple. Manufacturers are in business to make money. The tooling and set up costs require a fixed number of sales (not parts run) to break even. Then the time involved to more the remainder to make the profit. Our hobby is small enough to not generally garner the numbers to run the variety we would all like to see. Pete has much closer to the truth, in that, the more we make our own parts by whatever means, the less variety the manufacturers will make.

Pete,

From personal experience, I do solid modeling for a living, and believe me when I tell you that there is no profit in solid models. The extreme ease of bootleg (ask the recording industry) takes any real chance at profitability out of generating solid models for sale. When one factors in the research for the model, the time to actually generate the model(s) for an item, and then debug the SLA files so they print properly, you are in the same scenario as stated above.

I would sure like to be able to just go to ‘XYZ.COM’ and down load any part I want, but I am realist to know that isn’t going to happen. Maybe over time a site like this one may develop free library of solid models shared by our fellow modelers, but I don’t see that just around the corner. In time…

Bob C.

Bob,

I guess we’re just working towards a sensible business model.

Business Week commented the other day that piracy was rife in the CD world until someone came up with a way for people to pay a reasonable amount for a song - instead of buying a whole CD. [iTunes, $.99]. Most folk aren’t thieves at heart - make it a reasonable offer and they will pay. We don’t have to pay Bob to enjoy this site, but most of us appreciate there is no free lunch.

While some folk will copy and steal, most of us aren’t likely to learn CAD and make our own files. Buy a printer - sure. Use a computer to make a 3D file - I don’t think so.

I guess the problem with 3D trains is the diversity. Debugging and preparing a CAD file for a part (double-hung couplers, anyone?) that has limited uses will clearly only be cost-effective if you can charge enough. But a Baldwin diesel body? Why not?

Laser cut styrene will always win for large flat parts, like coach sides or crane frames.

BTW - the same thing happens with model making - ask Geoff Ringle at Old Iron Designs. He makes custom models and has to charge a lot, but still says he’s hardly making a profit.

Great looking custom coupler. Looks just like what Kadee would make…if they made them.