Large Scale Central

Question of Scale

If 1:20.3 in my world = 1.1 Scale . What would Ho or O Scale be in this world ?

(http://zenseeker.net/Kid/MiniatureScale/TrainScales.gif)

I think this is what you are asking? G varies from 1:32 standard to 1:20 narrow and 1:13 2ft narrow gauge.

I believe I posted my Question wrong. What I ment is if F Scale = 1.1 in the real world . Then would O or Ho Scale = 15" Guage or 12" or 7-1/2 Guage. I want to model a ride on train in someones back yard…

1/87x1/20.3=.0005662=1’

1/45x1/20.3=

32mm x 20.32 = 650.24mm or 25.6"
16.5mm x 20.32 = 335.28mm or 13.2"
9mm x 20.32 = 182mm or 7.2"

O gauge track is close to 2’ gauge in F scale. A common mining gauge.
HO gauge track is close to 12" or 15" in F scale. A common amusement park gauge.
N gauge track is very close to 7.25" or 7.5" in F scale. A common miniature railway gauge.

Some relative modeling scale/gauge terms to search: GNine, G9, Gn9, Gn15

I am currently playing around with Kato N scale powered chassis which are only about $15.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kato-11-103-Powered-Motorized-Chassis-N-scale-/201082603790?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2ed175090e

If you use a HO tank loco top shortened it will go over the works leaving a hole where the cab is for the driver. Have a look at the link below:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=112638&sid=dc03fae6d5ca5fbeb98f7abbec2d313c

Peco make 9mm track to depict narrow gauge in HO/OO scale with the ties more spread apart which would be more suitable for a miniature 7.5" track in F or G. The scale/gauge is called: OO-9, OOn9, HOe. They also make ‘crazy’ track for the same which has ragged and crooked ties.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Just what I was looking four.

Allen, The Tomix James sets in N scale would make a nice kiddy ride on miniature train in F or G scale.
The tender would be handy for the driver to sit on. The sets are a bit pricey though and the cars would not work. Some made up gondolas with trucks would be better for passengers.

Andrew

I have an HO locomotive I plan on making a Gn15 mine train with. Yea, just as soon as I finish 100 other projects.

I model in 1:20.3 scale and wanted to build a mining diorama with an electric locomotive. I decided to go with S gauge standards which is 22.42 mm and works out to about 18" in F scale. I call it Fn18. I re-gauged a Model Power Hustler, hand laid some code 100 rail and re-gauged some Atlas snap switches. I’ve been happy with how it has come out so far.

This is my Nn3 loco on my recent freight depot build…

It ran on Z ga track and would make a good outdoor larger scale pike.

Z will probably be as close to G and still run.

The Sleepy Hollow conductor is an Aristo figure, me thinks…

John

Here in UK a well-known LGB layout has N -scale ‘in the garden’ replicating 1" scale ride-on trains.

Looks very impressive, too.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

I’ve had thoughts of this too, but like David too many other projects to finish first.

Oh seriously you people need to stop. Where will the madness end. I can’t keep up with the diversions you people put me on.

A scale ride on train in a f scale layout. That is simply a cool idea but is shear madness. I had already decided to resist the temptation to build a 2’ gauge mining railroad on my eventual F layout now I want to build a miniature ride on. stop it I say.

…squirrel…

Devon Sinsley said:

Oh seriously you people need to stop. Where will the madness end. I can’t keep up with the diversions you people put me on.

A scale ride on train in a f scale layout. That is simply a cool idea but is shear madness. I had already decided to resist the temptation to build a 2’ gauge mining railroad on my eventual F layout now I want to build a miniature ride on. stop it I say. A model railroad on a model railroad is evil.

…squirrel…

tac Foley said:

Here in UK a well-known LGB layout has N -scale ‘in the garden’ replicating 1" scale ride-on trains.

Looks very impressive, too.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

That is a very common “trick” in various scales in EU, they quite often use Z scale. After all, if 9mm track gauge is good, 6.5mm has to be still better.

John Caughey said:

This is my Nn3 loco on my recent freight depot build…

It ran on Z ga track and would make a good outdoor larger scale pike.

Z will probably be as close to G and still run.

The Sleepy Hollow conductor is an Aristo figure, me thinks…

John

I looked at some of that stuff, it’s as pricey as Z scale. The price goes up in inverse proportion to the size. Scary stuff!

And of course, the newer T scale almost replicates Fn3 scale in Fn3 scale…Sealed

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Devon I agree with you, give it a break! I used to do HO (Micro Gauge) but now I build Fn3 (‘G’ Gauge) and in the back yard! And yes I still have some HO equipment and trackage!

Paul

Tac,

I had not heard of T scale. I did not need to hear about T scale. That is crazy small. and your right it is very close to 1:20.3 in F scale. Makes me want to do an F scale layout of my house