Large Scale Central

I need to change my web brouser

Firefox no longer satisfies me.

Suggestions?

Apparently, there are problems with IE 11.

Opinions on Opera?

Steve,

I have used Opera for some years. It is on my desktop and laptop. I have no complaints specifically, all browsers have some feature that one doesn’t care for.

Incidentally, other than HJ, I don’t know anyone else who uses Opera but thousands do of course. You can always ditch it if you don’t like it.

IE11 works OK as far as I can see but I have rarely used IE over the years.

I am currently running IE11 with no issues.
Just set this site in the compatibility view settings and everything works fine.
The only issue (not really, it’s just different) I found is that when you are viewing a photo in a album (thumb nail size) you used to be able to just click on the photo and it would open it in a larger window so you could see it. With IE11 when you do that you will just get a black screen, the way around this is just right click on the photo and select open and that will open the picture correctly in a new window.
That’s the only problem I have had since setting the compatibility view, everything else seems fine.

I ditched IE for Firefox because of some “features” IE picked up that I could not solve. Firefox started giving me fits a while back, and I had to reset it to its “factory defaults”. Since then its been behaving fine. I had Opera on my Treo phone, and it was troublesome. But that was also a mobile version and it was several years ago. So my experience with Opera, really doesn’t help in this conversation.

I have few complaints about Opera. Using opera does throw some websites for a loop, as when the web site wants to tailor itself to the browser. Memory management is pretty good, Opera gets crashy when you have more than about 50 tabs open.

What about Chrome, by Google? I personally dislike it, but I know many who love it.

No one has mentioned Chrome. I know, a Google product. BUT I find that it works better/faster for me than any other browser. I haven’t used IE for 15 years at least.

But I have been using Chrome since Christmas, and quite like it.

Similar to Paul i dumped IE 10+ years ago for Firefox. I recently I had problems with Firefox and switched to Chrome which seems to be fairly stable. I am using Windows 7

I use Chrome and Firefox. No prollems. Both have Ghostery and Adblock added.

I have been using SeaMonkey for the last several years with no issues. I use it at work as well (military sub contractor with lots of security) and have no issues there except for the corporate pages that are IE taylored. BTW, we use IE 10 at work, the IT guys say IE 11 is still too unstable to be reliable.

Bob C.

Chrome, most compatible HTML 5 browser, and has a fair amount of plugins available.

BUT, it won’t allow you to block many things, like ghostery won’t block cookies, while it will on FireFox.

I keep coming back to Firefox, because they have no allegiance to anyone else, i.e. Microsoft not allowing IE to block microsoft stuff, and Google not allowing Chrome to block Google stuff.

If it was not for all the extra junk Google (and thus Chrome) tries to load you up with, Chrome would probably be my primary browser.

Not to change your mind Steve, but what are the “low points” of FF you don’t like?

Regards, Greg

Been running OPERA for years, then I upgraded to the most recent version and was really Hurried right back to the last really stable version (12.14) before they started all the hoopla. And there I’ll stay until it’s time to go.

Not interested in Chrome, nor IE, for the reasons that Greg states.

I’ll probably give OPERA a test drive.

I am curious about your comments regarding the latest (some months ago I think) release of Opera. I never had any issues until last week, Just one prigramme, AIS (which is a world wide ship tracking site), has stopped showing the ships position, everything else seems ok there. Firefox still shows the ships positions.

I have tried updating plug in without sucess.

For anyone wondering where ships feature in my railroading, well they don’t. In the course of my weekday conversations with a friend in Wisconsin part of our daily patter concerns movements of Great Lakes Lakers (always known as boats), some pleasure craft and tug/barge vessels. A few ships (salties) do visit Great Lakes ports as well.

Frost heave has been a real issue for many railroaders here I know. Ice has been a tremendous problem on the lakes this year. The season is still only just getting underway.

One thing to consider is the current migration to HTML5 … popular and new web sites are being built / updated to this.

I’d check this site: http://html5test.com/

This is why I’m considering changing to Chrome, just as soon as I can feel confident that I can disable any Google “back doors”…

Hmm… just tried some testing, Opera outscored IE (of course), FF AND Chrome…

… beep … beep… downloading Opera now…

Will try it out.

Greg

Ok, posting this from Opera… HTML5test shows very good HTML 5… Chrome still a bit ahead in score, but WAY better than FF or IE.

Opera has Adblock and Ghostery, some Ghostery features still missing, but I feel more confident that Opera is not “influenced” by Microsloth or Google.

No bookmarks organizer on the left side though, that’s a big deal for me, have lots of bookmarks… got this goofy “speed dial” page with HUGE icons for your bookmarks… you can make them a bit smaller but still missing bookmark listing…

Greg

Hmm. I may have to take a look at it. Thanks for the test.

I have been having lots of problems with Firefox freezing; it says “Not Responding”. I took out a bunch of the plugins I had installed, so I’m going to give that a try before I switch.

Glad to see they upped the Speed-dial count, that previous limitation was a non-starter for me. BTW Speed-Dial is not a Bookmarks replacement.

But since I went back to the old version I have no idea about Bookmarks re-positioning in OPERA 19.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Been running OPERA for years, then I upgraded to the most recent version and was really Hurried right back to the last really stable version (12.14) before they started all the hoopla. And there I’ll stay until it’s time to go.

Good Grief! OPERA is now on version 20.XX. Haven’t they got those bugs fixed yet?

Steve Featherkile said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Good Grief! OPERA is now on version 20.XX. Haven’t they got those bugs fixed yet?

I don’t know where you got those numbers Steve, but my laptop (which I am typing this missive on) say 12.16 and I did check to see if there was an update - there was not.

Until today I had a desktop and a laptop, It is possible to sync, bookmarks and Speed dial type extensions between pcs.

My XP desktop which is eleven years old decided, over the last few days, that it had had enough. All info luckily has been saved on CD’s. Actually I have been using the destop less as time has gone by.

So time to look for a replacement.

One train of thought is to get a desktop with no operating system. Then I could start using one of the Linux type o/s/ The jury is still out on that one.