Large Scale Central

How do the 1:1 model railroaders do it?

Do they name each track in a yard? I know, or at least suspect, that each siding is named, each switch is probably named, as well. Witness East and West Berne for the switches on the passing siding just east of the Cascade Tunnel. How about the switches in a wye?

To me, it would make sense to name, or at least number, everything that has any significance on the railroad, to avoid the possibility of confusion.

So, my question is, “Just how anal do the big guys get?”

Yard tracks are usually numbered, as are each track in a multitrack situation. They wouldnt be east or west mainline, but track 1 and track 2, for example. Sidings are generally named, either after location or one of the industries on them, crossovers between double tracks are named, as are most interchanged (I have both The Willows and Tenny within a couple miles from me)

Most, if not all switches on a railroad will have a number.

The local short line here has the following names all in the same location…

Berkshire Junction: Two switches; one to a branch line the other combining double track main to single.

Sterans Siding: A long passing track usually used to store cars. No idea if there ever was a business named Sterans on it.

Tilcon Runner or Tilcon Running Track: What was once one track of a two track main. Is now used to access several industries one of which is Tilcon. The other track is simply referred to as the Main.

Thanks, Bob, very helpful.

Would the switch associated with a siding for an industry found along the mainline take its name from the siding, or would it have its own, separate name? What if the siding was double ended?

Main - Sidings: North or South track

and everything has a number that ties into the milage point, expressed to two decimal points past the actual mile.

You could call that super anal or you could call it very logically and systematically organized.

:wink: :slight_smile:

So, the railroads still use miles and not kilometers (kilometres) in Canada? Why?

Yes, it is very logical and systematic to name the switch 102.35, but not very romantic. I thought that Canadians were lovers, or did the cold freeze that out of you all? (http://www.freerails.com/images/emoticons/cowboy_125.gif)

Steve Featherkile said:

Do they name each track in a yard? I know, or at least suspect, that each siding is named, each switch is probably named, as well. Witness East and West Berne for the switches on the passing siding just east of the Cascade Tunnel. How about the switches in a wye?

To me, it would make sense to name, or at least number, everything that has any significance on the railroad, to avoid the possibility of confusion.

So, my question is, “Just how anal do the big guys get?”

Steve,

Very anal! Wonder where I get my anal modeling from? :stuck_out_tongue:

Multifold question(s). I’ll attempt my best to explain. Every single track (yard, siding, mainline) has an official track number. This number is used to identify to MOW (and Engineering) the location, and type of track. Tracks also have common names such as “Berne Siding” or Track 10 at Stacy St. Yard. But the official number of track 10 at Stacy would be something like 12010 (120 signifying the name of the yard, 10 for the individual track).

So yes both tails of the wye would have numbers. Turnouts are have even more specific numbers. Using my example the turnout at Stacy 10 would be 12010-9. The last number would signify the turnout type, frog etc. I’m sure a MOW guy could tell you even more.

But the common names for things are pretty simple.

Stations/Sidings such as Berne, Cascade, Scenic, Merritt all take their names from physical stations that once existed. These are listed in the official time tables as Stations, showing siding length, location, and any extra important thing like a telephone,etc.

When you get to yard tracks most yard tracks are known by the track number. At Stacy were I worked a lot we had the following tracks; main yard 1-19, SIG 1-4, SIG Running, Industrial Lead, Sugar, Steam, Whatcom 1-4, North SIG 5-8, West Seattle Wye, UP Interchange, PC Running, Colorado, PC3, etc.

Some of the industries would have track names such as the Mud 1-3, Ramp, Storage, Running, Ford Lead, etc. I’m sure I could come up with a whole bunch more. But the point is each track has an official designation, plus a common name. The common name usually has some sort of connection to the history of the track or the industry that is served by the track. The SIG tracks are Seattle International Gateway 1-4 where containers are loaded on to COFC’s. The PC tracks are named after the Pacific Coast RR that used to own them. The Mud tracks are named because they are muddy.

Every control point on the mainline has a name. This is two fold; one to be able to define authority for track movements, and to identify where you are at.

If the dispatcher is giving a track inspector track and time from ESS BERNE, control point NO to WSS Scenic, control point YES as an engineer I know exactly what his limits are.

Or a TWC territory with a track warrent.

Proceed from CTC Siding Ellensburg to CTC WEST Kanaskat, main track.

Or the YM tells a crew to grab the PC2, run through the Colorado, cross over at the Spokane St. crossover, fill up SIG 1, double to SIG 3, cut the crossing, light power down the SIG R, power to the Cab.

Simple huh?

Sure, once you get the hang of it. (http://www.freerails.com/images/emoticons/banghead_125.gif)

Can you decode ESS BERNE control point NO to WSS Scenic, Control point Yes? That will help a lot. Thanks.

Yep, the railways kept the miles. Since railroading is serious business they like precise better than romantic.

Thanks for that wallbanger.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB2/images/smiles/spin.gif)

Steve Featherkile said:

Sure, once you get the hang of it. (http://www.freerails.com/images/emoticons/banghead_125.gif)

Can you decode ESS BERNE control point NO to WSS Scenic, Control point Yes? That will help a lot. Thanks.

Sure, but I realized my mistake in the original it should have read as follows

Authority Number 90213 (always a 5 digit number of the BNSF, I have no idea why), to Inspector Townsend at Berne….

ESS East Siding Switch Berne Station Name of Siding, Control Point No Limits of authority do not include the area from EB (East bound) control signal ESS Berne to WB (West Bound) Control Signal ESS Berne, Switch No Does not have permission to take switch on hand, makes since because the inspector doesn’t have the authority to occupy the area between EB Control Signal ESS, and the WB Control Signal ESS to WSS West Siding Switch Scenic, Control Point Yes Limits of authority include the area between the EB Control Signal WSS Scenic, and the WB Control Signal WSS Scenic, Switch Yes Has permission to take switch in hand, because he has authority to occupy the area that the turnout is in (EB Control Signal WSS Scenic to WB Control Signal WSS Scenic)…

Notice the difference between authority and permission. That’s a whole new thread…

If you want I can try and draw up a picture tomorrow. It all makes since once you see it. :slight_smile:

Yes Craig, a plan would help. (http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB2/images/smiles/HaHa_laughing.gif)

Make sure the lettering is large enough. (http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB2/images/smiles/ani_wink.gif)

Craig, how about in English. Fer instance, “Take switch in hand.” Aren’t those switches kind of heavy to be held in one hand?

AndyC. and I have witnessed the building of an interchange track with wyes at each end at Mt. Vernon, Illinois. I’m sure AndyC. remembers the names of the turnouts. He takes care of important stuff like that for me. I do good to remember my name. :wink:

Don’t worry fellows too much about not understanding this. I just had to explain on Facebook to some ignorant rails about the limits of authority… And it’s been close to 3 years since I read the rule books.

I’ll draw up a picture at lunch and post it. This is one of the cases where a picture is worth a thousand words.

Taking a switch on hand means you have permission to operate a dual control switch on hand. What you do is literally unlock the switch, pull a lever from Power to Manual and then you can throw the switch. When the switch in on power the dispatcher can control it. When it’s on manual the person on the ground has control.

Remember a switch is only the appliance used to move the points back and forth. A turnout is the whole thing from points to frog.

Hope this explains. Raise your hands if you have more questions. :stuck_out_tongue:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/ctown2/TrackTime.png)

Open in new tab to get the full view. :slight_smile:

Raises hand.

I take it that “In hand,” and “On hand,” and “On Manual,” all mean the same thing?

How would the tracks of a wye be named?

Steve Featherkile said:

Steve, on the Norfolk Southern Y interchange tracks just east of Mount Vernon, Illinois, the west Y switch on NS’s mainline is called ““Wallace””… you can hear the “'Wallace”" location being called on the radio with traffic that’s taking the interchange tracks off the mainline to the Y connecting to the Evansville Western railroad… The east Y track has a totally difference reference name, which I can’t remember at the moment… I have not heard of a name for the actual Y switch where the east and west Y’s connect on the interchange track…

At NC Transportation Museum two of our spring switches are named after fallen volunteers.

Steve Featherkile said:

North Leg, South Leg, West Leg, East Leg, etc.

In Seattle the wye legs are as follows;

Main, PC3, and North Leg. Simple eh?