Large Scale Central

LGB cars into business cars

I’m working on some business cars for the layout.

B7 is an LGB 3080 coach. I converted it into a business car several years ago. But I didn’t like my scratch built platform railing. So I found a few Bachmann observation railings on eBay and think it now looks a lot better (especially after painting it brass). Fairly nice fit on the LGB cars too. Not sure yet, but I might renumber B7 as B3 and add an enclosed vestibule end.

The new business car project started out as an LGB 3083 (closed vestibule combine). It should make a nice B1. The Bachmann observation railing looks good too. I’ll paint it the same tuscan red color as B7.

Here’s some photos:

And links to what the real cars (both still surviving) look like:

B1

B7

Matt: if you need information on the interior of B1, let me know. I have a video I took of it this past april when I stopped by and talked to two guys with the Friends of 169 that were removing the cab floor to have a new one made.

The wood working on the inside was just awesome, not to mention to origianl lamps and stove.

Dan S.

Thanks a lot Dan. Must have been great to see the inside of B1.

I’m not sure if I’m going to do much on the interiors yet. But if I do, I’ll let you know.

You gotta do interior!

So I started this post over three years ago…wow. I guess this shows how important business cars are to the bottom line of the railroad (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

But I finally got around to painting the business cars. These will be B-1, B-2, and B-3. The one currently numbered B-7 will change to B-3. The underframes, trucks, and diaphragms are still in gray primer awaiting some weathered black paint. But I figured this post needed an update after three years.

Oh, and yes these will be getting interior details thanks to some 1/24 scale doll house furniture I found.

" Rooster " said:

You gotta do interior!

This from the one who doesn’t usually do interiors.

The “ten foot rule” is tough to apply to interiors. Unless one’s nose is down on the track…hmm, may apply to an elevated layout.

David Maynard said:

" Rooster " said:

You gotta do interior!

This from the one who doesn’t usually do interiors.

Maynard,

This pic really reminds me of Matt when I was building my Amtrak stuff . However that was back in the day in the LSC hood. He taught me well on numerous builds. Even though I have nothing to offer information wise like he did with my builds I can still goad him.

Maynard,

In case you didn’t understand that. It meant he helped me a lot with modeling Amtrak and the prototypical information on the 1:1 scale.

That make sense?

I got cha. I got cha.

I wasn’t going to waste the time putting interiors in my passenger cars, because they really would not be seen. Then I ran one empty. Interior construction began the next day.

Unless its a display model, I can see not doing a fully detailed interior, right down to the key on the oil lamps. But something in there, to suggest a full interior, would be nice.

This is what we expect from you Matt! Very Nice!