Large Scale Central

Thinking about On30 Have questions

I went to my local train hobby shop today to look at some On30 engines.To me they looked like they weren’t much larger than HO.
I must have been in G scale to long to remember how small HO is.

1. Does anyone have a picture of a HO gauge and an On30 engine or car that is the same type and length for comparison?

I found a track plan I like in the 101 track plans book I have had for years.
2. How much larger do I have to make the HO plan to have On30 work?
More questions to follow.

Thanks
Richard

Richard,

0n30 is 1/4" or 1:48 the same scale as O scale trains. I’m not sure exactly how larger to make your drawings but I would start at doubling the size from HO.

Chuck

The 0n30 stuff will run just fine on 18 inch radius curves. Of course, it will look better on larger curves, but I don’t think that doubling the size is necessary. Remember, Lionel runs nicely on 15 1/2 inch radius curves (031).

One thing to keep in mind are the isles between various parts of the layout. As you develop your plan, keep the isles at around 36 inches for the most part. Going down to 24 inches for very short distances is acceptable, but to be avoided if possible.

The other thing to keep in mind is how far your arm can reach. A 30 inch deck is about all that can be reasonably handled. Any more, and your chest starts laying on the scenery as you reach for that switch ALL THE WAY back there.

I remember reading recently about an H0 layout that was changed to 0n30, just by changing the size of the buildings and other static scenery. It can be done.

Here are a couple of places that you might ask for help in 0 Scale…

0Gauge Railroading Magazine’s Layout Building Forum

0 Gauge RR Magazine’s Narrow Gauge Forum

How’s that? Lighting ain’t the best, but you get the idea. 0n30 is 1:48, but it’s also narrow gauge so it will be considerable smaller than 1:48 standard gauge

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kenbrunt/_forumfiles/0n30_HOb.jpg)

0n30 on the left, HO standard gauge on the right.

As has been described with (cough) other scales, one of the harder to illustrate points is that IN GENERAL … 1:48 30 inch gauge are typically models of very small prototypes, while 1:87 locomotives are typically of larger ones … the illustration above would be easier to get a “feel” for with a 1:48 model of the same locomotive as the HO model on the right … it’d dwarf that little mogul.

Matthew (OV)

Thanks for the responses.
Went to the train store today and compared a On30 2-6-0 to a HO 2-6-0, the ON30 was a little bit bigger. I thought it would be a lot bigger than the HO engine than it was.
I still think that On30 should be bigger than it is (but that’s just me)

As far as building go, O scale building will work?

Richard

O scale buildings are exactly what you want. On30 is O scale, too!

Richard - to get a good idea of sizes, if possible, place a HO standard gauge engine next to a HOn3 engine. then do the same thing with and On30 and a Standard Gauge O scale model. a 2-8-0 HOn3 is considerably smaller than it’s standard gauge cousin. You can also look at some of the D&RG narrow gauge engines in terminals where they had dual gunge track. Big difference in sizes for comparable wheel arrangements.

The Bachmann Outside Frame 2-8-0 is one of the larger locomotives, and in reality its a model of a VERY small locomotive…remeber that locomotives com in all sizes and shapes…a 30 foot box car is about 7 inches or so long…the Bachmann freight cars are based on 27 ft prototypes…so they too are actually pretty small… As far as buildings go…you can do wonderful things outta cardstock!

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bart_salmons/_forumfiles/gorretower04.jpg)

The watertower is a kit I purchased and downloaded from Clever Models…the 0-6-0 I built on the chasis of a Bachmann 4-6-0…

3 More questions

1 What track spacing do I need for straight track?
2 What track spacing do I need for curves?
I will be using 24"r or bigger curves.
3 how much head room is needed for clearance?

Thanks
Richard

I have mine spaced about 3" center line to center line on the straight track, but you could probably get away with 2 3/4". Since my layout is just a shelf sized switching puzzle there aren’t any curves but the 3" should work for curves. As for buildings, this is an “O” scale station, as are the building flats in the background.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/kenbrunt/_forumfiles/0n30_A.jpg)

As for head room, I’m guessing you mean tunnel/overhead clearance? It’s a little over 3 1/2" from the roadbed to the top of the stack on a 2-6-0, B’mann’s other engines my be a bit taller than that. I just have the Moguls.

OK - what about tie spacing, the little mogul with the yellow cab above looks great on the HO rail but those ties, those ties!! (we used to say that about uncle Bert.) I want to see narrow gauge ties in On30 without hand laying. Is it possible?

I think PECO or PEKO sell 0n30 narrow gauge track and ties. I just went with the regular HO stuff because it was cheap and available (meaning I had a bunch left over from an HO layout)…:wink:

I use Micro Engineering On30 for the most part. I also have Peco HO that is paid for, I use that and after using gravel it doesn’t look too bad. What the hey, it’s my make believe world and I’m going to stick with that ! TOF in Oregon

I plan on burying my ties in ballast eventually so its a no issue for me…

Richard Eberwein said:
Thanks for the responses. Went to the train store today and compared a On30 2-6-0 to a HO 2-6-0, the ON30 was a little bit bigger. I thought it would be a lot bigger than the HO engine than it was. I still think that On30 should be bigger than it is (but that’s just me) As far as building go, O scale building will work? Richard

Richard, you didn’t make the right comparison. To get the right feel, you need to compare 0n30 with H0n3. Narrow gauge with narrow gauge. It makes no sense to compare a 0 Scale Narrow Gauge Mogul with a H0 Scale Standard Gauge Mogul. A 0n30 locomotive will dwarf a H0n3 locomotive just as a 0 scale standard gauge locomotive will dwarf a H0 standard gauge locomotive.

And, yes, any 0 Scale building will work. 1:48 is 1:48, whether narrow or standard gauge.

Richard,

Regarding the tie spacing of HO track - I clip the ends off every other tie and paint the middle of those ties a light grey. Then I ballast the track heavily completely covering the painted ties and allowing just a little of the full length ties to be just barely exposed. You have to work at it a little to not leave obvious mounds of ballast between the exposed ties but when its done it looks pretty good (to me at least). Not as good as proper On30 track but a whole lot cheaper and it’s a LOT better looking than plain old HO flextrack.

Walt

I know I asked this before, But will ask again.

1.What is the minimum track spacing (center to center) for straight track ?

2.What is the minimum track spacing (center to center) for curved track?

3.What is the clearance needed from rail head ?

More questions

4.Is the tie length the same as HO or are they longer? I know the tie spacing is different.

5.If the tie length is the same will the cork roadbed of HO look right?

6.If I find a layout I like in a magazine like “101 Track Plans” is there any size changes that need to be made, like track spacing or overall size?

Richard

Richard

The ties are somewhat longer with On30 track and will just fit on HO cork roadbed enough to be okay and if you use ballast that will not even matter. On30 has a few less ties per foot than HO…

Since we are talking narrow gauge here, most anything goes as far as distance from one track to the other and usually as long as one train will clear by another then no problem. In real life narrow gauge, you would not find many that had two curved tracks together. For the most part, track, was used to get the most out of it and not to use very much if possible.

In our make believe world, we can do what ever suits our fantasy and it just might be close to being correct but not mine as I have a load of varieties as far as track, switches, buildings and the rest.

I even have a city block with all N gauge buildings !!!

I have a flock of On30 Galloping Geese by the O scale Roundhouse just off the On30 Turntable. REALLY !!

TOF in Oregun

The ties are longer and farther apart. If you try to use HO track, it will jst look silly. Trying to make HO flex track look like O scale narrow gauge track is a lot of work, and you probably won’t be happy with it. The best bet it to get the O scale narrow gauge stuff from Peco, or learn how to lay your own track. It is not that hard.

In narrow gauge, rarely will you find parallel track, but it does occur, especially in yards.

O Gauge Railroading Magazine Online Forums Narrow Gauge Forum is a good place to go for ideas.