Forums Modeling Modeling
  • Topic: Bachmann Connie Bash Thread. Post your pictures here.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 28, 2016 1:40 PM EST
      • Bomaderry, NSW Australia

• Thanks

Ken Brunt said:
      Graeme Price said:

Thank You Ken,

Does moving the pilot wheel further back cause any issues with it being closer the cylinders, like reducing the ability to negotiate tight curves?

On my current layout my Connie has trouble with a tight radius curve, its just on minimum recommended radius, and I am wondering if the repositioned pilot truck might add to the problem.  Unfortunately increasing the radius is not an option due to space restrictions.

I can't answer that Graeme, but I have run it on a few different layouts besides mine and I never had any problems going through turnouts or curves. I had a few Aristo and LGB turnouts and sectional track pieces on my old layout, but I'm not real sure what the radius' were on those. But looking at the pilot truck while it's upside down it does have quite a bit of side to side movement. As heavy as that engine is, if worse comes to worse, you could probably eliminate the pilot truck and it would run just fine. 

Another suggestion I would offer is if you do have a problem with it on curves, notching out the cylinders so the truck can swivel more would be an option. As it is now, the front pilot can't be seen anyway so no one would see that. I don't think you would need much more swivel then what it does now. 

Thanks Ken,

An 0-8-0 sounds interesting.

The main problem I have with my tight curve (old LGB track) is I think the wheelbase is to long, my 6 wheel locos go round OK but the extra wheel is what I think is giving me a bit of grief. 

• December 29, 2016 7:38 AM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Before you do any modifications to it, try running the Connie without the pilot truck and see how it works. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• December 30, 2016 6:27 PM EST

• Thanks

Ken Brunt said:

Before you do any modifications to it, try running the Connie without the pilot truck and see how it works. 

Connie is all prepped and I will give it a try in the new year ie tomorrow.

• January 2, 2017 2:10 AM EST

• Thanks

Graeme Price said:
      Ken Brunt said:

Connie is all prepped and I will give it a try in the new year ie tomorrow.

Finally got to run Connie sans front pilot truck and it looks like trackwork will be required.  The old LGB track seems to have a guage problem round the tight curves and Connie just jumps the track and drives straight forward instead of following the curve.

She has small issue with another tight radius curve but nothing like the LGB track one and it only appeared after I took the pilot truck off.

I have been thinking that maybe I should just mothball her till I build my retirement layout in 2-3 years time, but I like the look of her running so might persevere with running her, just have to expand the layout a small bit (a land grab in the offering).

• January 2, 2017 6:16 AM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Could be the Connie with the gauge problem. B'mann isn't known for it's precision wheel gauge................

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• January 2, 2017 5:35 PM EST

• Thanks

Ken Brunt said:

Could be the Connie with the gauge problem. B'mann isn't known for it's precision wheel gauge................

I have a new motor controller (a robotic one by Polulu) and battery (Graphene) on the way for her so while she is in the workshop I'll check out the wheel guage.

• January 30, 2017 9:35 PM EST
      • Tinton Falls, NJ

• Thanks

This is my Connie bash which started by removing all the stock electronics, replacing the main control board with a K27 main board mounted in the tender and adding to the Bachmann 4 pin connector a new 7 pin for added wires , added a TAS pulsed smoke unit and a Phoenix PB9 sound unit with on off switch and volume push buttons installed in the new tender water hatch and speakers in tender and boiler. The flickering fire box and ash pan circuits were replaced with a simple set of flickering LEDs and a small bridge rectifier. Added loco running lights and tender marker lights with red and green miniature LEDs. Removed cab back wall, moved cab back 5/8", cut boiler to move back head forward 1/4", replaced pilot with modified K27 pilot, cut front truck assy. down by 3/8", relocated head light, replaced whistle and boiler check valves, replaced all stock piping and added all new lines, added injectors, turret manifold, lubricator and related piping, air compressor regulator, new reversing lever and modified Johnson Bar, new back head throttle, water site glass, steam/air pressure gauges, boiler wash out plugs, ash clean outs, brake valve, sand dome lid, boiler steps, complete full piping for brake system, glad hands and hoses, made tender air tank, added steam and elect conduits to generator, replaced sander lines, made new tender ladder, added coal load extended bunker to tender, cab arm rests and wind screens, steam piping in cab wrapped with tape to simulate lagging, Kadee Couplers, and cab glazing. Still have to add ropes for whistle and bell and DCC.

IMG_2098.JPG (1.92 Mb)
      This post was edited by Joe Augustine at January 30, 2017 10:13 PM EST
    • January 31, 2017 10:35 AM EST
      • Flame Broiled, New Mexico

• Thanks

My Connies, #34 and #37, Full build-log on my website. Most of the mods to the appearance are pretty simple. The real stuff is inside.

This post was edited by Boomer K. MOGWAI at January 31, 2017 10:38 AM EST

Boomer

Forums Modeling Modeling

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google