Large Scale Central

A boxcar and covered hopper build

I started this batch of cars before the holidays, but have waited till now to make sure some of my experiments worked out before getting into a thread. First was figuring how to form the roofs on the boxcars, this was solved by using a 3/4" x 51/2" wood block cut and milled to shape.

First cut to width and then the roof angles were cut at 6 degrees. I then routed the edges 1/4" deep and 1/4" in to place a piece of 1/4" quarter round

This recesses the quarter round about 1/64" both ways I then routed the edge 3/8" up from the bottom edge deep enough to accept the plastic I planned on using for the sides to give me a gluing surface, and to provide a built in spacer to keep the car width. I forgot to take a pic of this cut, but it is repeated on the hopper roof and I’ll show it then. Next plastic was cut for the sides, ends, floor and glue stops for assembly

Sides and ends paired and glue stops in place

Glue stops on the sides

bodies glued up.

I then skinned the body with .010 plastic to give a single glue surface for the addition of detail.

Hoppers were then started.I cut the sides, floor, ends, and glue stops

These were assembled prior to cutting the roof pieces so I could get accurate measurements for the roofs

This roof also started as a 3/4" x 5 1/2" wood block, but I only rounded the edges with a 1/4" round over bit in the router after cutting to width. Then cut my recess in the sides 3/8" up from the bottom, but only for the area that would mate to the car sides. I also had to under cut the two ends of the roof where it over hangs the car body.

the bodies were then skinned with .020 plastic, again to provide a single glue surface for further details

Because I only have a few clamps I started fitting the center beams and bolsters to the cars that were ready

Now I needed to make the hoppers proper. I figured the angles and cut strips with a 50 degree angle on one side and a 60 degree angle on the other.

These were then cut with a 50 degree angle leaving enough wood to make the final cuts for the forth side of the hopper.

4 of the hoppers in place.

the hoppers were then skinned with .010 plastic for further detail

Still a ways to go but this is the start. Oh. And for the record, most of this build has been done with car sizes and angles known. But, the rolled edge of the roofs was eyeballed off both drawing and pictures of the prototype. I made the roll a scale 9" radius. I have since found a source that shows the rolled edge at 12" radius so these will be built to my eyeball.

Very creative use of materials Dave. Looks good so far!

What Jon said…and glad to see someone else besides me uses real wood in their builds. :wink:

Hollywood,
You’re going to have a large homebuilt fleet by the time you finish these :slight_smile:
Ralph

I use real wood when I build a fire. :slight_smile:

Randy McDonald said:
What Jon said....and glad to see someone else besides me uses real wood in their builds. ;)
You right...I never used any wood in my builds??

Looks real good Hollywood…bout’ time you started a thread on them!!
:slight_smile:

Oops, sorry Roos, forgot about you…will you forgive me?

Nice work!

I agree with Ray Dave…Sweet build, Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Nick

Dave,

Cool builds. There’s some neat ideas there.
Are the round top hoppers “B&O” models?

Great job,

Very Nice Hollywood! Would have been more dramatic to start the thread from the word go!

Thread who?

Thank you all for the responses.
Brian, yes both the boxcars and hoppers are wagon tops. I’ll be adding one more car type to the thread as the build moves along.

Hollywood they look great so far. I like wood (shut up Rooster)

What …no “Womens Work” comment Shawn?
:wink:

I love the smell of freshly milled wood! :slight_smile: Those cars are looking great Dave!

Good job, I agree with Richard, nothing smells better than fresh cut wood.

Not a lot done as time has been short, but the skins were puttied where needed and a bottom strip of .010 plastic was added to the hopper sides. All the cars were then marked for the ribs to be installed. Putty was needed to tighten up the end joints

Lined off for the ribs

Note the extra area of plastic along the bottom

Just a comparison shot of the two cars

Maybe more next week

Nice!
:slight_smile:

Funny how this work thing interferes with railroad time…