Large Scale Central

CVRR Combination Car (kitbash attempt)

The CVRR or Cumberland Valley RR was a very prosperous RR back in it’s hey day. The tracks still stand for the most part (now owned by NS) however most of the branches are long gone. Part of the main line runs behind my home (active daily) moving local mixed freight. I’m certainly not converting to this era modeling but I do enjoy history and perhaps have a bit of a fetish for local history. Back in the day this car(now residing at Strasburg Museum) certainly would have passed behind my home and would have been drawn by the Pioneer locomotive (bottom picture) which now resides in the B&O museum. With that said I decided I would attempt a kitbash with (Bachmann cars) trying to replicate this car but using only what I have from the kits (cosmetically wise).

Sooo here it goes!

With the kit cut up and started I don’t like it as it’s too short. I will need to add another kit and increase the length. I plan on working with just the kits themselves and adding extra details only when needed.

Cool,
I’ve been waiting for this ever since we talked about it :wink:
Ralph

It’s about time he started the build log Ralph! He’s been yakking about in chat forever! :slight_smile: :smiley:

Ralph Berg said:
Cool, I've been waiting for this ever since we talked about it ;) Ralph
Holy Crap your right, I forgot about that !! we did discuss it almost a year ago !! Ya' see Discipline is setting in already!
Randy McDonald said:
It's about time he started the build log Ralph! He's been yakking about in chat forever! :) :D
Shud up Randy.......Chat is like Vegas...........;)

That is one ugly car…I LIKE IT!

Can’t wait to see the finished car, sweet build!

Edit: So are you doing the 2-2-2 next?

Oh SHEET! I forgot that. ME BAD!!! ;D

Mark V said:
Edit: So are you doing the 2-2-2 next?
Nope

David,
now you have my interest!!! I would be tempted to dispense with the stock Bachmann roof moulding and build a new roof from three sheets of 0.030" styrene laminated together. Using the stock roof will not give a smooth contour over the roof as on the prototype. When I did it, I laminated the first piece to the body and allowed to dry. The next two sheets were then glued together and bent and taped over the first piece and allowed to fully dry. The roof is made longer than required and then cutdown to length giving the required overhang at each end. Using several thin pieces allows a smoother contour and is more easy to work with. 0.030 is about optimum for a roof as anything thicker becomes more difficult to roll.

This is a case of there is a prototype for everything.

Rooster

Interesting car.
I like your approach on the build

Rodney

Looking good do far. When you finish this you’ll need to build the loco :slight_smile:

Unusual model.
A big thumbs up, Roost.

Looks good David, I agree with Jon, you have to build that funky locomotive also!

Is it done yet???

David Russell said:

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/CVRR%20History/Img_2616-s.jpg)

I remember hearing that it was thought to be a paymaster’s car early in it’s history. Hence, the single window in the “baggage” area. I see the windows in the coach are different in this old photo than the museum car. Ralph

Womans work.

Rooster you have to do that engine with it. It wont be the same without it. Dont wimp out on us.

Ralph Berg said:

David Russell said:

I remember hearing that it was thought to be a paymaster’s car early in it’s history. Hence, the single window in the “baggage” area. I see the windows in the coach are different in this old photo than the museum car. Ralph

Actually the money train was a single locomotive (modified) called the Jenny Lind. Yes I saw the window was there but now it’s not and actually there are 2 windows on the opposite side

Shawn said:
Womans work.

Rooster you have to do that engine with it. It wont be the same without it. Dont wimp out on us.

I have other plans for a locomotive.

I have other plans for a locomotive.

I guess at this time Shawn it must be all top secret info. Only to be known by the shops of the CVRR. :smiley:

Ralph, Here are some of my shots on the opposite side of the prototype. The Strasburg Museum is under construction but I asked kindly and with supervision I was allowed too molest/measure the car.